Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-15-2005, 09:03 PM   #21
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Default Re: Ben's Status??

I have to agree. I rather give Ben rest this week and have him ready for the Patriots the next week. Although not sure how serious the injury is.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:07 PM   #22
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

true true, maddox can handle the texans just fine, well nvm i don't know about that last time they played maddox scored for them twice i think. but if it ain't serious don't sit ben he needs all the reps he can get so he can be in good game shape against the pats.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:56 PM   #23
I.C. Lights
Starter

Member Number: 530

Maddox will be able to create enough pressure so that Parker can run all over 'em. Anyone up for another 168 yards?
I.C. Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:05 PM   #24
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Unless its really gonna be a major risk for him to be in there.. I say stick him in. He's still learning and needs every snap he can get to continue to improve. Players play w/ pain and injured all the time..so unless its gonna really impose on the way he plays and risk further injury, then yes keep him out and give Tommy every snap possible.. otherwise, let him in.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:54 PM   #25
SteelProven
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
Unless its really gonna be a major risk for him to be in there.. I say stick him in. He's still learning and needs every snap he can get to continue to improve. Players play w/ pain and injured all the time..so unless its gonna really impose on the way he plays and risk further injury, then yes keep him out and give Tommy every snap possible.. otherwise, let him in.
I totally agree with this while he may have a injury, what player isn't injured. If I remember correctly W. Parker was talking post-game how sore he was. I don't think this is nothing more than a pre-cautionary tatic. I really don't want to see Tommy "Turnover" Maddox. IMO
SteelProven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:08 PM   #26
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

I have confidence that Tommy can get the job done, but when it comes right down to it, unless it's a definate huge risk that could force ben to miss alot of time...I dont want Tommy in there either. As I remember correctly he came into the giants game last year when Ben got clobbered and promptly threw an interception. He did have an ok game against the bills, but it wasnt anything to really write home about.

I know Tommy can play; we all saw him break passing records for us a couple years back, but please Ben, get healthy and take the bye week to rest up if at all possible.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:34 PM   #27
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Default latest article.. Ben says he'll be starting..

The Steelers are preparing for the possibility of playing without starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger Sunday because a bone bruise in his left knee has been slow to heal.

Roethlisberger, who was injured in the opener against Tennessee, was downgraded to questionable yesterday and he took less than half of the snaps with the first-team offense at practice. Roethlisberger said he is taking it easy for precautionary reasons and expects to be in the starting lineup two days from now when the Steelers face the Texans in Houston.

"[Tommy Maddox] went a little bit more than [50 percent of the plays]," Roethlisberger said. "I'll be ready by Sunday. I'm just trying to take care of myself and make sure I'm healthy."

Steelers coach Bill Cowher was hoping Roethlisberger would be able to practice more than he did yesterday. He said the injury wasn't responding as quickly as hoped it would.

"There is not really any kind of setback," Cowher said. "He does have a bone bruise. It's just not responding as fast as I hoped, and his status is day to day."

Maddox could make his first start since the final game of the regular season against Buffalo last season. He was 12 for 24 for 120 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions in that game. Maddox has played and thrived in a reserve role before. He came on for an ineffective Kordell Stewart four games into the 2002 season and held onto the starting job until the second game of last season, when he was injured against Baltimore. Roethlisberger performed so well in his place that Maddox remained on the bench until the regular-season finale.

here's the rest
Old 09-15-2005, 11:37 PM   #28
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Few points...

One - injury reports are official from the head coach. There seems to be some bad blood in the NFL among coaches when players are given a grade on Thursday then presto are at a different level on Sunday. Sorta like a truth in advertising honesty system among coaches, thats why they don't like players commenting on it.
Two - Hurt vs. Injured. While he was held out today, I think by Sunday this will be a hurt problem and nothing to hold him out. Also, even though it was a 158.3 day, if you heard Cowher miked up on HBO Ben is still having trouble reading the correct coverage. He got rythm and confidence in week one. Why sit him this week and lose that momentum when technically the risk of getting injured this week at say 90-95% is about the sane as next week at 100%.
Three-Stop looking past the Texans. We need our best players on the field every week.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:36 AM   #29
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292
Default Re: Ben's Status??..Update 9/16 Ben says I'll be playing..

I agree, Ben needs the snaps and we can not look past anyone. This is going ot be a tough year...and every game is going to count. If we are looking at getting home field advantage throughout the playoffs we need to take every game seriously. We really need to take it one game at a time. Now if it is something that could jeopordize his status the rest of the season I say sit him...but if not, put him in!
Old 09-16-2005, 10:55 AM   #30
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367
Default Re: Ben's Status??..Update 9/16 Ben says I'll be playing..

I know it sounds totally whacked but I dont know if I want any home field advantage! I love it for the city and atmosphere it brings but I think we'd perform better on the road. My hearts been broke too many times at home in late January :(