Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-14-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,822 Times in 4,477 Posts
Default Dale Jr. and Budweiser to Part Ways...

...and oddly enough, potentially puts him in a marketting stratosphere of l. james, t. woods, m. jordan, p. manning, and positions himself to be like j. montana and j. nicklaus post retirement.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/column...vid&id=2935390

Quote:
With Bud out of the picture, sky's the limit for Dale Jr.

JOILIET, Ill. -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. positioned himself on the podium last weekend at Daytona International Speedway to announce a new personal services contract with adidas.

A few weeks earlier, he positioned himself for a similar announcement with Sony.

Soon, he will position himself to announce a primary sponsor for his new team at Hendrick Motorsports that won't include the name Budweiser -- the brewery that has been his image the past eight years.

Ultimately, NASCAR's most popular driver could be in position to take his name and branding to a level inside and outside the boundaries of the United States that nobody in this sport has achieved.

"The domestic sky is the limit," said David Carter, the executive director of the University of Southern California Sports Business Institute.

"If he continues to stay out of trouble and continues to represent himself well and his new team well ... he may come out of this being one of the shining stars in the country a really long time."

Separating from Budweiser might be key to helping Earnhardt reach the next level of marketing success, particularly if he aligns himself with a soft drink company such as Pepsi as sources have indicated could happen.

Davidson is encouraged to see a NASCAR figure aligning with international sponsors the way Tiger Woods and Peyton Manning -- top stars in other sports -- have.

"He's one of those special drivers that have the ability to attract people beyond just NASCAR fans," he said. "He's now setting himself up with relationships where he'll have a bigger stage that he can connect with people on.

"It's good for him. It's good for the sport."
see link for rest of a long but informative story that gives some good insight on the marketting of atheletes and personalities.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Dale Jr. and Budweiser to Part Ways...

This makes a lot of sense for him if he wants to run in the Jeff Gordon, LeBron James, and Peyton Manning endorsement crowd.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

guess this is going to suck for jr's buddies... now they will have to bring their own beer to whiskey river now..lol

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
This makes a lot of sense for him if he wants to run in the Jeff Gordon, LeBron James, and Peyton Manning endorsement crowd.
Yep. I think separating from Bud is going to work to Jr.'s benefit. I also believe getting away from that Rotweiler stepmother of his is going to do wonders for his growth as a NASCAR contender.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Can't really say that I'm not surprised by this.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:08 PM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

We been running so many different sponsor colors lately that the paint don't really matter to me...it's just a pain to get your brain re-wired to find the damn car on the track.

I would be pretty bummed about losing the #17 number though.....
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
We been running so many different sponsor colors lately that the paint don't really matter to me...it's just a pain to get your brain re-wired to find the damn car on the track.

I would be pretty bummed about losing the #17 number though.....
i hated rusty switching from the mgd black n gold to that crappy blue and white scheme. the blue duce became much more tollerable whe it became the color it is today.

of course, i like the dewalt colors but i think kenseth should run the carhardt copper as its primary. the metallic paintschemes are nice. sterling marlins old ride has sucked since it changed from the "silver bullet".

now theres talks of casey kahne taking bud, or kyle busch filling jr's car. what a waste. they might as well change the sponsor to cherry Kool-Aid.

interesting in the article about jr. being able to expand to products he is more likely to gravitate too. while i believe he was a bud man i would get sick of drinking Buttwiper for this many years, and i think hes more likely to wear some tommy hilfigers than wranglers.

i cant knock the gargoyles though.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Kyle Busch is certainly a capable driver...It'll be interesting to see if he outperforms Jr. I have even money that says Kyle signs on with "lesser" equipment than Hendrick and does better then Jr.

The funny thing is that Kyle drives a lot more like Jr's dad than Junior does. Irony runs rampant in NASCAR...
Old 07-16-2007, 11:22 PM   #9
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Kyle Busch is certainly a capable driver...It'll be interesting to see if he outperforms Jr. I have even money that says Kyle signs on with "lesser" equipment than Hendrick and does better then Jr.

The funny thing is that Kyle drives a lot more like Jr's dad than Junior does. Irony runs rampant in NASCAR...
that aside, do you really see kyle "rat jr." as the face of budweiser?

i dont. i still dont see kurt busch as the face of miller lite. probably explains why i havent seen him in commercials like i did rusty or currently do with dale jr.

i got even money that says r. wallace pushed a hell of alot more product than busch sr. does and dale jr. will push a hell of alot more than kyle jr.

of course DEI can always try to get Cornflakes as a sponsor since frosted flakes is gonna be discontinued and budweiser might leave.

as for kyles driving skill, i would more than welcome him to team up with his brother and newman at team penske. i think i would like that more than a juan pablo hornish experiment.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Rumor has Kasey Kahne as the new Bud man, and there's no way that will work, unless Bud is trying to expand into the women 18-34 and the gay men market.

I saw a Miller Lite commercial with Kurt Busch in it, but it was kind of lame.