Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-19-2007, 11:17 PM   #131
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201
Default Re: Vick indicted

Sign and tell how you feel about this issue and to suspend Vick;
Post on your other forums to. Get as many as we can.

http://getactive.peta.org/campaign/afalcons_vick_2

and

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...ed.cgi?mvick07
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:43 AM   #132
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,797 Times in 2,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross View Post
Sign and tell how you feel about this issue and to suspend Vick;
Post on your other forums to. Get as many as we can.

http://getactive.peta.org/campaign/afalcons_vick_2

and

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...ed.cgi?mvick07
Petitions are nice; boycotts are better.

It appears Vick's only current big endorsement contract is with Nike. You can quit buying Nike and tell stores that carry Nike you are not shopping there until Vick's endorsement contract is terminated.

Otherwise, unless you are a Falcons season ticket holder and plan to ask for your money back there is not a lot of leverage.

IMO Blank is going to put him on leave with pay. Blank knows leave without pay probably would be a loser under the CBA (although the NFLPA is going to look bad appealing a suspension of this creep) but if Vick plays the protests in and outside the staium at Falcons games are going to be a circus.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #133
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,153 Times in 2,648 Posts

im thinking a seperate thread on this will probably be started, but vick was ordered by goodell to not show up to camp until the NFL further reviews his indictment.

nice for them to take a stand and not put it in the teams hands (weve seen how well that works with the bungles)
Old 07-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #134
Sith Lord
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 977
Default Prick, uhh, Vick

Not that we care but.....

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=1.1.1
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:05 PM   #135
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im thinking a seperate thread on this will probably be started, but vick was ordered by goodell to not show up to camp until the NFL further reviews his indictment.

nice for them to take a stand and not put it in the teams hands (weve seen how well that works with the bungles)
Actually I think Goodell wanted Blank to pull the trigger but Blank simply could not put Vick down - this way Blank can blame the league if Vick stays or if Joey Harrington takes the wheel.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:13 PM   #136
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Actually I think Goodell wanted Blank to pull the trigger but Blank simply could not put Vick down - this way Blank can blame the league if Vick stays or if Joey Harrington takes the wheel.
the players union might be more likely to fight a team decision vs. a league decision though.

it seems the commish has much more leeway with this player conduct policy than individual teams.

but i agree with your take. goodell has to wish these teams would keep this crap in house so he doesnt constantly have to play "big brother" and be the bad guy.

im sure he's thought of how easy tagliabue had it before anyone cared about player conduct, has crossed his mind.

"thanks tags "
Old 07-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #137
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Here is a wire story with excerpts from Goodell's letter to Vick

NEW YORK (July 23, 2007) -- Commissioner Roger Goodell has ordered Michael Vick of the Atlanta Falcons not to report to the team’s training camp pending the completion of an NFL review of his recent indictment by a federal grand jury in Richmond, Va., for allegedly participating in an interstate dog-fighting enterprise.

Commissioner Goodell informed Vick that the review would be completed as soon as possible and that Vick’s full cooperation is expected.

In a letter to Vick today, Commissioner Goodell said: "While it is for the criminal justice system to determine your guilt or innocence, it is my responsibility as commissioner of the National Football League to determine whether your conduct, even if not criminal, nonetheless violated league policies, including the Personal Conduct Policy."

Vick will not forfeit his preseason pay during his excused absence from training camp.

Commissioner Goodell also directed the Falcons today to withhold any contemplated team discipline regarding the Vick matter until the NFL review is completed.

As I suspected, Goodell provides the heat shield for Blank. Glad to see Goodell draws the distinction between due process in a criminal trial and the separate rights that are involved in employee misconduct that reflects adversely on the employer. That point will be too subtle for most of Vick's supporters, but so is anything else not written in crayon.

Cannot imagine Vick is coming back anytime soon; hard to see his attorneys telling him to "cooperate fully" in any internal investigation. Also a terrible fact pattern for the NFLPA to be asserting CBA/mega-millionaire player rights.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:35 PM   #138
tony hipchest

Quote:

Cannot imagine Vick is coming back anytime soon; hard to see his attorneys telling him to "cooperate fully" in any internal investigation. Also a terrible fact pattern for the NFLPA to be asserting CBA/mega-millionaire player rights.
did you see vick hired high profile billy martin today? i dont know who is is but i definitely recognized the high profile players he's represented in the past. his resume (as a prosecutor and working with the big dogs) made me believe he wont be cheap. my 1st thought was scott peterson hiring gerragos.

part of me wants to feel bad for owners who draft players such as pacman or vick, cause they feel as soon as they cut a player another team will snatch them up only for that player to be cleared and lead a productive career. its like holdin onto that stock you had so much faith in, even though its clearly in a freefall.

but then again thats the nature of the beast. for every criminal good player, there is a non-criminal ryan leaf who is simply a bust. these owners cant be provided a safety net or given salary cap relief for admitting they made a mistake and cutting their losses short.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:45 PM   #139
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
did you see vick hired high profile billy martin today? i dont know who is is but i definitely recognized the high profile players he's represented in the past. his resume (as a prosecutor and working with the big dogs) made me believe he wont be cheap. my 1st thought was scott peterson hiring gerragos.

part of me wants to feel bad for owners who draft players such as pacman or vick, cause they feel as soon as they cut a player another team will snatch them up only for that player to be cleared and lead a productive career. its like holdin onto that stock you had so much faith in, even though its clearly in a freefall.

but then again thats the nature of the beast. for every criminal good player, there is a non-criminal leaf who is simply a bust. these owners cant be provided a safety net or given salary cap relief for admitting they made a mistake and cutting their losses short.
Billy Martin got NBA player Jayson Williams off after he got drunk and killed a limo driver while fooling around with a shotgun (and initially had his posse claim the driver killed himself). Martin, who now heads up the white collar defense practice with Sutherland Asbill in DC, also was one of the numerous attorneys who defended former Atlanta mayor Bill Campbell, who was convicted on tax charges but acquitted on the RICO counts. Some observers were less impressed with Martin's performance in the Campbell trial than others. He does not come cheap.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #140
tony hipchest

Quote:
Billy Martin got NBA player Jayson Williams off after he got drunk and killed a limo driver while fooling around with a shotgun (and initially had his posse claim the driver killed himself). Martin, who now heads up the white collar defense practice with Sutherland Asbill in DC, also was one of the numerous attorneys who defended former Atlanta mayor Bill Campbell, who was convicted on tax charges but acquitted on the RICO counts. Some observers were less impressed with Martin's performance in the Campbell trial than others. He does not come cheap.
the j. williams case was the one i recognized most. the others seemed to be high profile clients on lesser charges (although williams was probably one of his richest clients too.)

that was a shame as williams was always one of my favorite nba personalities. shame he had to screw around with guns like vick did with dogs. atleast with williams there was the non intent to fall back on even though him and vick suffered the same stupidity and air of celebrity invincability.

i wonder if the "witnesses" in the vick case will be more reliable than the "victim" in the duke lacross case.

it appears that its all about smearing the CW's now.