Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #411
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Vick indicted

If Goodell lets this fool come back, all the efforts he has made up to now to clean up the league's image will become a joke.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #412
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
If Goodell lets this fool come back, all the efforts he has made up to now to clean up the league's image will become a joke.

AD - What CAN Goodell do based on the plea?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:43 PM   #413
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
If he gets away with just a few months in jail... and ends up playing sometime this year... I am going to BE TICKED.

Little chance of that, I think Preacher. It looks like he gets a sentence in the 15 month range (unless the judge thinks he got off too lightly). As Atlanta Dan said, he is looking at serving pretty much the same amount of time regardless of the facts that he actually pleads to. I think you have to do 80% in the federal system. So, he is looking at least 1 year in the system. Add onto that the likely suspension from Goodell, and we are still looking at 2010 before he could even get a sniff at the NFL.

As far as to whether the Feds went too light on him, I have a few thoughts. This is one of the reasons the Feds have such a high conviction rate. They have the flexibility to cut these types of deals. Like the deal or not the Feds will add this to their conviction rate. I'm sure the U.S. Attorney's office figured a guilty plea and year in prison was better than an expensive, racially divisive, trial for the purpose of adding maybe 8 to 12 months onto the sentence. Admittedly, we will now have to listen to the "Ookie" apologist claim he was never convicted of killing dogs or gambling, but those that chose to apologize for Vick are going to make excuses for him regardless of what he pleads to. Similarly, there will be those who will say Vick got off lightly even if is sentenced to a multiyear term.

Personally, I though the Feds would stick harder. On the other hand, "Ookie" is going to jail and won't be of the field for at least for a couple of years. Thus, we can get back to watching America's true favorite sport ..... soccer ....pssst yea right, in your dreams Beckham's. I mean, of course football - American football, that is.

Your honor, I plead guilty to being ready for some football.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:52 PM   #414
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
Personally, I though the Feds would stick harder. On the other hand, "Ookie" is going to jail and won't be of the field for at least for a couple of years. Thus, we can get back to watching America's true favorite sport ..... soccer ....pssst yea right, in your dreams Beckham's. I mean, of course football - American football, that is.

Your honor, I'm ready for some football.
Great point - by him agreeing to a plea deal now, there is a good chance this thing won't hang like a pall over the entire season.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #415
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Great point - by him agreeing to a plea deal now, there is a good chance this thing won't hang like a pall over the entire season.

Yep, here is no one happier about this deal, (other than Vick) than Roger Goodell.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:36 PM   #416
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,226 Times in 2,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
what exactly is this $100/count for dan?

this was funny. "civil action United States v. Approximately 53 Pit Bull Dogs"
You pay a "special assessment" for each count of the indictment to which you plead guilty - it is not a fine but goes to a victims fund.

Individuals pleading in federal court to felonies get a $100 special assessment per count and misdemeanors $5-25 depending on the class of misdemeanor.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:51 PM   #417
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

With regard to the plea deal, if getting Vick to plead to specific facts was necessary to resolving a related federal govt. action then the Feds might have taken a harder line; the Feds could care less about making Goodell's job easier and are indifferent that everyone can now enjoy the season without the "cloud" of Vick's unresolved charges over the fun. They have plenty of other cases bigger than this one to deal with (the ED VA is the home office for a lot of terrorism/national security prosecutions)..

As far as the sentence goes, the Feds big concession was not seeking an enhancement for Vick bankrolling the operation. While Vick may not admit he killed dogs, he admits he ran a gambling enterprise (while not making sidebets) and Judge Hudson can still find at sentencing Vick killed dogs based on the statements of the co-defendants.

Goodell can use the plea agrement as a base offense level and then decide what to do about the gambling based on the co-defendants & CWs statements - the idea that Vick did not have any sidebets going is prima facie absurd. He my not get a lifetime ban but he presumably is gone until 2010.

I agree we will now be hearing Vick did nothing really wrong but I have abandoned trying to discuss the matter with those folks.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #418
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

So much for Vick spinning his role with the "collective efforts" language regarding the 2007 dog killling. Here is headline on CNN.com:

Vick admits dog killing, conspiracy

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/08/24...ick/index.html

The link on CNN.com to the plea agreement is titled:

Vick: My role in killing dogs

Somebody at CNN is not a fan of #7
Old 08-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #419
zoneblitz43
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6120
Default Michael Vick

boy is Michael Vick in some hot water. since he is pleading guilty, what do you think is a suitable punishment? I think 5 years in prison and banishment from the NFL would be appropriate, I think he will be banned for lying to Goodell about the dogfighting. besides no team will want Vick anyway.
zoneblitz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:39 PM   #420
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

He's required to cooperate with the Feds regarding other possible dog fighting rings (subject to a lie detector). Does this mean Emitt Smith was right? Just wait now Emitt will claim that: "I don't want to say you told me that I told you that it was so, but as I said you told me that to be told so said so."