Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-18-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Steelers' Faneca says he will report for TC

Steelers' Faneca says he will report for training camp
Wednesday, July 18, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Alan Faneca said today he will report to the Steelers training camp on time Monday but that it will be his final summer at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe.

"I'll be there. I don't think I'll have bells on, but I'll be there," Faneca said from his home in Louisiana.

Faneca, a captain and the most decorated guard in team history with six Pro Bowls, will enter the final year of his contract with the Steelers and said he will play for another team in 2008 because no talks have taken place for an extension. He will become an unrestricted free agent in March. He skipped all of the team's spring drills in protest except for one required minicamp he attended.

Although still emotional about his contract situation, Faneca promised he would not be a distraction to the team this year and will perform as he has in his previous nine seasons with the team.

"I'm going to go about my business and play football. Any distraction would be through the media and how they perceive me going about my business of playing football.

"It's about playing with the guys next to you and playing for a job as well. It's a true sense of playing for a job, it just happens to be somewhere else the following year."

Faneca, 30, said the Steelers offered him a contract early this year but said it was so low it would not have put him among the top 10 guards in the league and called it merely a tool so club management could claim it offered him an extension.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07199/802528-66.stm
Old 07-18-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Steelers' Faneca says he will report for TC

I'm glad he's not causing any distractions and that's good. He is obviously gone next year but he won't go out as a problem that didn't play his best just because they wouldn't pay him what he wanted, nice move Alan, now I don't have to hate you, you just continue to play like you always have and good luck next year
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:18 PM   #3
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,707 Times in 1,773 Posts

Hope he leaves the bad attitude home.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
stillers4ever
Water Boy

Member Number: 5712

He can SAY whatever wants. I can say that ill be pickin up guard for the steelers next year. It doesnt mean anything. Hes probably just trying to beef his rep up a lil bit since he did a lot of crying over a new contract. I think Kevan Barlow will do amazing this year with the steelers.....because he WANTS to play here. Faneca DOESNT WANT to play here. Sub-consciously he will not be the 6 time probowler we are used to, and it will show on the field.
stillers4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
"It's about playing with the guys next to you and playing for a job as well. It's a true sense of playing for a job, it just happens to be somewhere else the following year."
It's about the fact that if you don't show up you will not get paid.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Good for him.

That is what I expect of an adult.

Now I can root for him, and then I can hope for him to go to a good team and have a great rest of the career, Like I did with Rod Woodson, Franco harris, etc.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,775 Times in 2,938 Posts

Quote:
"I'm going to go about my business and play football. Any distraction would be through the media and how they perceive me going about my business of playing football.
and a shot across the bow to the media basically saying "im gonna show up and play football and i really dont wanna be asked about it. if you ask me about it im probably gonna be a dick. report what you want".
Old 07-18-2007, 12:42 PM   #8
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Dammit.

I've always liked Faneca and thought he was a stand up guy. I'm not at all pleased with any of this but I don't see a way out. Faneca wants more money than the Steelers are going to pay for a 30 year old lineman. He also voiced his displeasure at having such a young head coach (if I remember right). I hope he plays his ass for one more year so he lands the contract he wants. Hopefully with the Texans or perhaps the Cardinals.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
and a shot across the bow to the media basically saying "im gonna show up and play football and i really dont wanna be asked about it. if you ask me about it im probably gonna be a dick. report what you want".
Yep. I love that... What I want to see is Tomlin step up and be a buffer between the media and fanaca.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #10
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

It's a shame that Alan won't have "bells on" when he gets to camp. It's a shame because regular people like myself have to get up every morning and go to a job that isn't a job that we have dreamed of having, but we do it any way . Most of us can't complain to our boss and just go threw the motions. We would simply just be replaced. I'm sure that there are thousands if not millions of people in the world that would show up with "bells on" to have the chance that Alan has had to go to work doing something they love.I know I would.
rog is offline   Reply With Quote