Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-22-2007, 12:18 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Faneca's farewell to Pittsburgh

Faneca's farewell to Pittsburgh

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, July 22, 2007

Day One of Alan Faneca's countdown to free agency begins in earnest on Monday at St. Vincent College.

By showing up as promised, Big Red will at least keep alive hope that his story will have something other than one of the most disappointing endings in Steelers history.

Sadly, that is about as likely as Brady Quinn winning the Super Bowl this season for Cleveland.

The Steelers once let Franco Harris finish his career in Seattle. Dan Rooney laments to this day that things didn't work out differently.

Faneca winding up in Arizona or some other NFL outpost would leave a similar taste in mouths on the South Side.

"Alan Faneca is a Pro Bowl player, a probable Hall of Fame player," Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said. "You don't make six Pro Bowls in a row and not get to the Hall of Fame at some point. He's been a great player for us. He's been a great off-the-field person for us. There's no questioning that."

The issue is what such a player is worth.

The two sides are far enough apart for Faneca to have labeled the Steelers' offer for an extension "pretty much a non-offer" during that infamous minicamp rant back in mid-May.

Faneca said then he wasn't considering any course of action other than showing up to camp on time and playing out the season as best he could under the circumstances.

By doing so, he'll at least keep the door open a crack to an unanticipated resolution of differences.

Faneca knows the Steelers won't negotiate with someone who's AWOL.

Reporting as ordered won't in itself change the Steelers' opinion of him as it relates to 2008 and beyond, but it can't hurt.

Faneca fans have that much to cling to, but only that.

"We're open to keeping things alive, and his people are open to keeping things alive," Colbert said. "Whether we'll ever get anywhere, we don't know.

"What we know is Alan will be here for this season."

Both sides are also well aware of the Steelers' policy of entertaining potential extensions only until the preseason becomes the regular season, unless such a deal is perceived as imminent.

"That hasn't changed for anybody, and it won't change going forward," Colbert said.

Nor is Faneca likely to get any younger between now and then.

He'll be 31 in December.

Troy Polamalu, who has been deemed worthy of receiving a boatload of money, is 26.

And Ben Roethlisberger, who is destined to soon receive the Titanic of such sums, is 25.

And the Steelers aren't interested in spending too much now if it risks what they'll be capable of down the road.

"Never do we want to put it all on, 'OK, this is the year we're going for it,' " Colbert said. "If you do that and you have one key injury and everything's gone and you have to cut that whole team, now you've set yourself back three or four years.

"If we can have a good team every year and have a chance to get to the kind of run we got on when we won the Super Bowl, that's what we want to do."

With or without Alan Faneca, a player destined to embody the heart, the soul and the spirit of the Steelers -- right up until the moment the two part company.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_518396.html
Old 07-22-2007, 01:45 AM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Faneca's farewell to Pittsburgh

If the steelers win the super bowl this year with Faneca how do you thing he will feel, after he said he wanted grimm or wisenhunt a head coach, will he rethink of his actions? I want him gone after 2007, but would be interesting to see how this plays out. An apology to all steelers fan would be awesome
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:51 AM   #3
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

No matter how much he whined and complained,I knew he would come to camp and I know he'll give us his best all season.

I'mma miss Big Red,I don't see him coming back next year after what he said though.I think by the end of the year he'll have a change of heart,but he kind of burned that bridge.He will resign with the Steelers though...for one day so he can retire wearing the Black and Gold.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:59 AM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
If the steelers win the super bowl this year with Faneca how do you thing he will feel, after he said he wanted grimm or wisenhunt a head coach, will he rethink of his actions? I want him gone after 2007, but would be interesting to see how this plays out. An apology to all steelers fan would be awesome
Nope. I don't

I think he made his bed. It is too much to turn back now, unless he gets injured... or the Steelers come up with an unbelievable some of money. I don't hope for the first, and I don't see the last.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:11 AM   #5
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,417 Times in 2,369 Posts

Faneca's going to find out the grass isn't always greener unless he's counting $$. Past players that left to play with other teams didn't always fair to well in different systems.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:24 AM   #6
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

Still feel he was a great lineman for the steelers, and yes 6 probowls in a row is amazing, but just as we all know, team is what wins! Slamming the orginazation and having a basic sissy fit doesnt show team! Crying over the babysitter, coach, isn't team! Saying I dont want to be captain anymore isn't team! Mad because after 3 years your not the highest paid guard isn't team! Do you all truly believe he is going to be at camp and play his hardest for the team! No, but Yes because he will only truly playing it for himself! greed can ruin a guy and thats why he wont be a part of this team! next year!
Old 07-22-2007, 02:29 AM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Faneca's going to find out the grass isn't always greener unless he's counting $$. Past players that left to play with other teams didn't always fair to well in different systems.
I doubt he was a system player... however, I think he will quickly learn what it means to play for a team taht doesn't have the heart like the Steelers do.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:45 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,884 Times in 1,627 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

yea big red Is a great player but i belive his money wont be that great down the road.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:16 AM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
True - but they cashed bigger paychecks.

Since none of the FA departures missed out on getting SB rings (I do not recall any FA departures who would have stuck with the 2005 champs) it is hard to argue they made horrible career choices by not maximizing their income elsewhere.

It is business decision for both the Rooneys and the players. Faneca was odd man out with Troy getting his contract in the same year and Ben on deck (which I predict is not going to be a smooth
negotiation).
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
True - but they cashed bigger paychecks.

S. Faneca was odd man out with Troy getting his contract in the same year and Ben on deck (which I predict is not going to be a smooth
negotiation).

Yes this is true, Troy was important guy NOW! BUT Ben better show something this year or negotiations wont have to happen! Lets not count the chickens before the get laid even. Faneca has played well and there tough. Dont play well and there not going to be there.