Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-22-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903
Default Rod Woodson's Recent Comments on NFL Total Access...

Not sure who on the forum watches NFL network, but...In this past week, Rod Woodson did a review of the AFC North, placing the Steelers 3rd in the division. He commented on the style of offense the Steelers are going to: Rod described it as Peyton-manning-like with Ben making all the calls, and checking at the line and such. He also made comments about the formations going to a pass-happy style and said the Steelers tried this with Tommy Maddox and it didn't work...

I guess I am a bit confused; I thought Bruce Arians was going to RUN out a 4 receiver set, not just pass out of it. I didn't know Ben was going with a Peyton-like check system.

Anyone else got info on this?

Old 07-22-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Rod Woodson's Recent Comments on NFL Total Access...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
Not sure who on the forum watches NFL network, but...In this past week, Rod Woodson did a review of the AFC North, placing the Steelers 3rd in the division. He commented on the style of offense the Steelers are going to: Rod described it as Peyton-manning-like with Ben making all the calls, and checking at the line and such. He also made comments about the formations going to a pass-happy style and said the Steelers tried this with Tommy Maddox and it didn't work...

I guess I am a bit confused; I thought Bruce Arians was going to RUN out a 4 receiver set, not just pass out of it. I didn't know Ben was going with a Peyton-like check system.

Anyone else got info on this?

I didn't watch it, but it seems like he doesn't have all his facts together. As you said, Arians is going to run 4 receiver sets to open up the offense and make holes for willie, not for Ben to be all Peyton Manning like and throw it all the time, he is going to call the audibles and formations on the offensive line, but this is not going to be like the colts offense, is more like smashmouth football with 4 receiver sets
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Yes. Rod didn't get enough.

The idea is to, yes, create better passing situations. It also opens up the running game. Next time they run that Steelers/Browns playoff game on NFL Network, watch the Browns offense. Arians was doing some of that stuff with them.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

Yea they have had it on lately on NFL Classics... Good times there..

I like Rod on Total Access. He usually makes sense when most of those guys don't. Hopefully, Ben will have more control over things and running the show. I did agree with Rod on the comment about Ben being more effective when he was throwing 15-20 times a game.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
Yes. Rod didn't get enough.

The idea is to, yes, create better passing situations. It also opens up the running game. Next time they run that Steelers/Browns playoff game on NFL Network, watch the Browns offense. Arians was doing some of that stuff with them.
Except they couldn't get their running game going, but willie parker is no william green, or whoever the browns used at that time. Willie will actually benefit from the 4 receiver sets, as will the whole team, so we will not be 3rd in afc north.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:50 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,264 Times in 3,630 Posts

Woodson came up with the proper sound bite if you believe the Steelers are going to have problems, which is that this will be a repeat of 2003. Maybe, but I doubt it.

Leaving aside that the Steelers no longer have the move the chains RB and OL to play smashmouth (Parker's talents go in other directions), the differences to me are : Ben is not Maddox; Parker is not Zeroue; and the OL, while in transition, presumably will not be so messed up it will be reduced to flipping Faneca between guard and tackle while other OL shuttle in and out between plays, which I recall happened in a 2003 game at Denver. I do not think the plan is to put it up 30 times a game

On a related point, i assume Rod picked the Ravens to win the division. With Ogden, Lewis & McNair a year older and their 2006 impact LB playing in New England, the preseason love for the Ravens after they blew up in the playoffs escapes me. Teams do not repeat as division champs in the AFC North.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:01 PM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Rod Woodson hates the Steelers!!!! It's obvious!!! He's a hater!!!!!! Damn media!!!!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

It's a complete head-scratcher that the Ravens were able to handle the Steelers with so much ease last year, yet could barely handle the Bengals, who we had little trouble with (outside of killing ourselves with turnovers). But what happened happened.

I personally have no problem wth Arians' offense. The Arians offense took a Cleveland squad with mediocre talent to it's only playoff appearance. And almost beat us with it.

If this new offense makes the Steelers O less predictable, more balanced, and utilizes Willie's talent, I'm all for it.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,264 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Rod Woodson hates the Steelers!!!! It's obvious!!! He's a hater!!!!!! Damn media!!!!
If it appears I was taking shots at Rod, I apologize - that was not my intent.

Rod's points with the flaws in the new offense and choice to win the AFC North (assuming he picked the Ravens) reflect the conventional wisdom, with which I happen to disagree.

Expectations are as low as they have been since 2004, when we looked forward to the Maddox/Staley era - I am delighted the Steelers are so lowly regarded by the talking heads.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:35 PM   #10
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
It's a complete head-scratcher that the Ravens were able to handle the Steelers with so much ease last year, yet could barely handle the Bengals, who we had little trouble with (outside of killing ourselves with turnovers).
Little trouble? You guys were 1-1 against the Bengals with the one win coming in overtime. I don't think the Bengals were exactly a cakewalk for you guys last year.

The Ravens had trouble with teams that could stretch the field against them last year (i.e. the Colts, the Bengals). When these teams could effectively move the ball through the air, they could bring the Ravens into a shoot out in which their offense just couldn't keep up.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote