Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Training Camp

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-15-2007, 11:21 AM   #71
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803
Default Re: 2007 Steelers Training Camp Notebook Articles

Hope that Anthony Smith's injury isnt gonna force him to miss too much.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:04 AM   #72
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Steelers Notebook: Tomlin revamps starting lineup
Thursday, August 16, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Tomlin made two more moves this week to his starting lineup, although he said he's far from declaring winners in either competition.

Bryant McFadden replaced veteran incumbent Deshea Townsend at right cornerback, and wide receiver Santonio Holmes, for the first time this summer, moved ahead of Cedrick Wilson at split end.

"We're still shopping, if you will," Tomlin said. "We want to see what guys do when they get an opportunity to play their game in there with the first group. It's part of the evaluation process."

It's likely McFadden and Holmes will start Saturday night against the Redskins.

More updates

Other updates from the only practice held yesterday, in the afternoon:

Rookie Lawrence Timmons ran with the second team at right outside linebacker, the first time he has done such drills since his groin was reinjured July 27. And ahead of him, James Harrison went through a full practice.

"Lawrence Timmons took more reps today," Tomlin said. "We'll take a look at that tape and see where he is and decide where we go from that. James Harrison appears to be 100 percent, he's out here getting after folks."

Backup running back Najeh Davenport was removed from practice about one-third of the way through because of discomfort in a foot.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was given a scheduled light day with little throwing, the same as last week. Tomlin said he'll probably do the same for backup Charlie Batch today.

With starter Marvel Smith still out, Max Starks continued to run with the first offense at left tackle.

"We're experimenting there with him as a possibility of being a left tackle," Tomlin said. "Whether he succeeds or fails -- of course based on his play -- he's primarily a right tackle. We just take a look at some options. Position flexibility is a big part of what we do."

Trai Essex ran at left tackle with the second team.

Safety Anthony Smith (abdomen) remained out of practice, as did Chukky Okobi (ribs), although he did some light snapping in 7 on 7. Nose tackle Chris Hoke (knee) and defensive lineman Derrick Jones (knee) also remained out.

Movie with a twist

Yesterday was movie day at training camp, but nothing like in previous years. Tomlin gave the players the morning off -- there was a 90-minute practice scheduled -- and he set up times with a theatre to see a movie.

The players had an option. They could go to the movie, sleep in, or do whatever else they wanted.

"I think most guys stayed in their room and slept," defensive end Brett Keisel said.

They had a handful of movie choices, including "The Bourne Ultimatum," "Rush Hour 3" and "The Simpsons Movie."

Tomlin did not attend.

"I have too much work to do. I don't have time to go to the movies. I guess going to the movies is tradition around here. I'm not too much into tradition," he said

Former coach Bill Cowher had a routine at training camp in which he would act like a regular morning practice were going to be held and once the players were on the field and stretching, he would announce it was movie day. He even made his coordinators spend the hour or so it takes to work out a practice plan the night before and not tell them about it.

Tomlin let everybody know there would be no practice and they could sleep in, go to the movies or hit some golf balls.

Breaking camp

It all ends for the Steelers tomorrow at Saint Vincent College, but their last real practice takes place this afternoon from 2:55 to 5 p.m.

After tomorrow, when they pack and leave for good, no more curfews or bed checks except for the night before a game.

"Just to get back into the regular routine, get back to see my wife every day, being at home and get ready for the grind of the season," Keisel said of why he's happy to see camp end. "It's nice because we're starting to see that this thing is coming to an end, so I think everyone's excited to get back home."

Interesting debate

It's an argument that never will be settled but a heated one nevertheless: How many yards would Willie Parker gain against the Steelers' defense in a game.

The only way to find out would be to trade Parker or hold a full-fledged scrimmage. Neither will happen.

"We were talking about that the other day," Keisel said. "He said he could easily get 100 yards on us. We got into a bit of an argument with it. But Willie's a great player and a Pro Bowl player and we're lucky to have him on our side."

Stop patronizing, Keisel; how many yards would he get?

"Would he get 100 against us?" Keisel said, repeating the question. "Not even close. He wouldn't get close. He would get maybe 15 -- on 15 carries."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07228/809886-66.stm
Old 08-16-2007, 03:13 AM   #73
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Notebook: Steelers' Tomlin continues team tradition
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, August 16, 2007

• The Steelers continued a training camp tradition Wednesday when coach Mike Tomlin canceled the morning practice and gave the players movie passes. Players had a choice of a seeing "The Bourne Ultimatum," "The Simpsons," "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" and "Rush Hour 3." The players also had the option of using the down time any way they wanted. Linebackers Larry Foote and Clark Haggans, a noted movie buff, hit the weights. And others? "I think most guys stayed in their room and slept," said defensive end Brett Keisel, who went to see "The Bourne Ultimatum." Hines Ward took advantage of the movie passes to check out "Rush Hour 3" (the wide receiver gave it two thumbs up). As for Tomlin, he didn't take the morning off. "I've got too much work to do," he said.

• The Steelers haven't allowed a 100-yard rusher since November 2005. Willie Parker had five 100-yard games in 2006 and twice eclipsed 200 yards in a game. So, what would happen if Parker ran against his own defense? "We were talking about that the other day, and he said he could easily get 100 yards on us," Keisel said. "We got into a bit of an argument about it." It was a friendly argument as Keisel said he is a big fan of Parker. That's not to say he thinks Parker would find running room against the Steelers' first-team defense. "Would he get 100 on us? Not even close," Keisel said. "He would get maybe 15 (yards) on 15 carries."

• Running back Najeh Davenport didn't practice Wednesday because of a minor foot problem. Coach Mike Tomlin said he will be re-evaluated by team doctors today. Free safety Anthony Smith (abdomen), offensive tackle Marvel Smith (back) and nose tackle Chris Hoke (knee) missed practice. Center Chukky Okobi (ribs) didn't dress in full pads, but he did participate in a seven-on-seven drill. Tomlin said he hasn't ruled out anyone from playing in Saturday night's game against the Washington Redskins.

• Lawrence Timmons did more at practice yesterday, and the first-round pick could see his first action of the preseason Saturday.

• Madden NFL '08 just hit the stores, and the popular video game already has been put to use at St. Vincent College. As of yesterday, the Steelers were already into the quarterfinals of a tournament. Hines Ward, who is in the quarterfinals, said cornerback Bryant McFadden is the defending champion. "Everybody's playing with the Steelers; it's kind of hard," Ward said when asked to predict a winner. "You know if you're playing against me, I'm catching 20 balls every time. I think seeing yourself on a video game, that's the greatest thing in the world." Ward said the players get more out of playing Madden '08 than just an ego boost. "It's a great time to have that camaraderie," Ward said. "That's what camp is all about, a team coming closer together."

Digits

9 -- Rushing touchdowns the Steelers allowed in 2006

13 -- Rushing touchdowns Parker had in 2006

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_522386.html
Old 08-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #74
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Bryant and Holmes are starting, now we only need Anthony and we're ready for a run at the super bowl
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #75
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

Finally we get to see Timmons in action.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:30 AM   #76
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Steelers Notebook: More playing time for first team
Friday, August 17, 2007

The first teams will play longer tomorrow night in Washington against the Redskins, a normal progression as the Steelers go deeper into the preseason.

"Tentatively we're going to play our first groups a lot longer than what we've done at this point," coach Mike Tomlin said. "But, like always, we're going to be prepared to play it by ear. But it's our intention to play guys more in this game."

Halfback Willie Parker and outside linebacker James Harrison will play for the first time this summer after shaking off minor injuries.

Tomlin still has many decisions to make, from picking starters to choosing backups.

Yesterday, perhaps, a few of those decisions became clearer. For one, Deshea Townsend returned to the first team at right cornerback, after Bryant McFadden spent a couple of practices there while Townsend played safety.

Also, Willie Colon continued to run as the first-team right tackle while Trai Essex ran with the first team at left tackle. Starting left tackle Marvel Smith has a back injury; he dressed but was limited in practice.

Tomlin yesterday gave some insight on some of the decisions facing him:

"When it comes down to those last three or four guys, position is not a factor," he said of his 53-man roster. "It's team guys, guys that make your football team better. Whether that makes it five wideouts or six wideouts, or five backs or six backs, you've got to be willing to step outside the box and look at what makes your team strong. We will do that. We have a general idea about numbers, but we're not married to it by any stretch."

On McFadden: "I think that he's had a solid camp, whether we run him with the first group or the second group. He's just continuing to grow. He's a young guy who has some talent, has made some plays for this football team. It's not like he's green."

On his plans for rookie running back Gary Russell, who leads the team in rushing with 97 yards on 17 carries after two games: "He's kind of shown what he's capable of from a ball-carrier's standpoint. We want to see if he can show what he's capable of in some other areas -- pass protection and so forth, see if he can participate in the passing game a little bit. He's a sharp, young guy, a competitor, but the job description is you have to be a complete back. We want to see what he can do when the ball is not his hands."

On Essex, who will get a shot to be the swing man as a backup tackle and guard: "He's a developing player. And really, he's at this point in his career where he needs to be a developing player. And we've had frank discussions about that, he and I, and I think he's answering the call."

On Marvin Philip, who is behind Sean Mahan and Chukky Okobi at center: "Marvin has done some good things. Marvin has got to do a little better from an assignment standpoint. ... He's got to play at a higher level from that standpoint if he wants to get into that conversation with the other two."

On wide receiver Walter Young's chances of making it in his fourth training camp with the Steelers: "He's on the brink, as are a lot of other guys. That's a good problem to have. You love the competition. You love guys that are fighting, particularly a guy like him who has been close a couple of times, played a little ball in this league and is looking for a breakthrough.

"I was joking with Carey Davis this morning. He said this is his fourth training camp. You've got to have respect for men who've been denied multiple times and they still come back. They still have that fire in their eye trying to get it done. I like those guys. You root for those guys from a humanistic standpoint. But the reality is that we have to keep the best 53. But Walter is on the brink."

On wide receiver Nate Washington and his dropped passes: "I think that's a to-be-continued answer to that. I like the way he comes to work. He's got to do better from a concentration standpoint. He understands that. He's a very capable guy, a talented guy. But time will tell. His cumulative body of work will tell how he responds to that. That's a small bump in the road. The guy dropped two footballs in the first preseason game. I hope he's not losing sleep over that. If he is, then we probably have got a problem. But he doesn't lack confidence, no."

On Brian St. Pierre and whether he will keep three quarterbacks: "Brian has done some good things. Some teams keep two quarterbacks, some keep three. It really boils down to that same discussion we were just having and what you feel makes your team strong. We're monitoring that, of course. We're considering all of the options. Personally, what Brian has done to this point has not been disappointing. I think he's done some good things."

Anthony Smith (abdomen) did not practice and Ryan Clark continued to run at free safety with the first team and probably will start against his old team, the Redskins, tomorrow. Clark may well be holding off Smith's attempt to unseat him.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07229/810203-66.stm
Old 08-17-2007, 07:40 AM   #77
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Steelers' Hoke to sit out Redskins game
By John Grupp
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, August 17, 2007

Backup nose tackle Chris Hoke (knee) will not play Saturday against Washington, coach Mike Tomlin said during Thursday's weekly pregame news conference. Tomlin added tackle Marvel Smith (back) and safety Anthony Smith (abdomen) could play. Center Chukky Okobi (ribs) said yesterday he would be out on Saturday, then return for next week's home game against the Eagles.

• The Steelers played their traditional slow-pitch softball game on the St. Vincent baseball field following the last day of training camp. Some of the highlights included Najeh Davenport launching a prodigious blast that barely curved foul down the left-field line - and then striking out on an Ike Taylor riser on the next pitch; Hines Ward tripling to right and making some nifty defensive plays in the infield; and Ben Roethlisberger hitting a sacrifice fly that didn't leave the infield.

• Tomlin grew up in Virginia and attended William & Mary, but it's not any sort of a homecoming when the Steelers play the Redskins tomorrow. Tomlin's brother is handling the double-figure ticket requests from family and friends.

"In terms of playing the Redskins, it's just an opponent to me," Tomlin said.

• Brian St. Pierre is ineligible for the practice squad because he is credited with two or more NFL seasons. So the Steelers will have to either keep him as a third quarterback or cut him. "We are monitoring that and considering all the options," Tomlin said.

Digits

9 -
Tackles recorded by Washington rookie linebacker H.B. Blades, a Pitt product, in last week's

14-6 win over the Tennessee Titans.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_522598.html
Old 08-17-2007, 11:05 PM   #78
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Steelers Notebook: Essex on spot at LT; Willie Parker back in lineup
Saturday, August 18, 2007

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers used the first two preseason games to see if right tackle Max Starks could play well enough at left tackle to serve as a backup for Marvel Smith.

That experiment did not go so well -- Starks allowed three sacks in the first two games at left tackle -- so the Steelers will try another player at that position when they play the Washington Redskins tonight in Landover, Md.

Trai Essex will return to his former position and play most of the game at left tackle against the Redskins. Essex will start if Smith (back spasms) cannot play.

Starks will back up Willie Colon, who will start his second game in a row, at right tackle.

"This is a big opportunity for him," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said of Essex, a third-round pick in 2005.

Essex has been the backup at left tackle the past two seasons, but he was moved to left guard in training camp when Starks, who has started at right tackle the past two seasons, got time at left tackle.

But after Starks allowed the three sacks, Essex is getting an opportunity to reclaim his former position.

"I treat every snap as an opportunity to be evaluated," Essex said. "All you have in this league is what you have on tape, and I'm just trying to put some good tape up there."

Apparently, that has not happened enough his first two years with the Steelers, prompting the experiment with Starks.

"He's done an admirable job," coach Mike Tomlin said. "I really think that he's gotten better, consistently better. I think he's improving technically."

Essex (6 feet 4, 324 pounds) admitted he didn't know what to make of the switch when Starks was moved ahead of him at left tackle. But he agrees with Tomlin's assessment that it's time for him to develop.

"This is my third year, so I should have a good grip on how the game is and how it should be played and what they expect of me as a high draft pick," he said.

"I'm ready to step it up. This has been my best camp, I thought, since I've been here. I felt good. Anywhere they put me I'm ready to play."

Fast Willie returns

Running back Willie Parker has not played in the preseason because of a strained muscle behind his left knee. But that inactivity will end when he starts against the Redskins.

"We have to get Willie Parker going," Tomlin said.

The Steelers are set with their top two backs -- Parker and Najeh Davenport -- and, as of now, it appears first-year free agent Carey Davis and rookie Gary Russell will make the team.

That probably leaves one spot for four players -- Dan Kreider, Verron Haynes, Kevan Barlow and John Kuhn -- though it is possible Tomlin could keep an additional running back.

Center of no attention

Sean Mahan, the team's only significant free-agent signing in the offseason, will start his second game in a row at center. Mahan is battling veteran Chukky Okobi to be the replacement for retired Jeff Hartings, a two-time All-Pro, and would appear to have the edge.

The squeaky wheel

Wide receiver Cedrick Wilson, who complained two weeks ago he was being ignored in the passing game, said he wasn't being selfish. He said he just wanted to be sure he was getting some opportunities to show his new coach, Tomlin, what he could do.

Wilson leads the team with four catches for 99 yards and also has returned four punts for a team-best 13.8-yard average.

"I just don't want to be forgotten about," Wilson said.

"It's tough when you have a new coach coming in and you finished the [previous] season as a rotating receiver. You don't know what's been told to him and how he feels about you.

"But I tell you what, I have proved myself on the practice field and I've proved myself in games. Those are the things I have to continue to do."

Goodbye, Latrobe

The Steelers held a light walk-through practice yesterday morning at Saint Vincent College on what was the final official day of training camp.

The team will resume its preseason practices Monday at its South Side facility. Tomlin wants to treat the week like a regular-season week because the Steelers do not play again until Sunday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07230/810434-66.stm
Old 08-18-2007, 02:03 AM   #79
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

From what I saw from Essex, he's beefed up big time (not in a good way). It seems his problems are more Duce Starks than they are mental. Your hearing the praise when it comes to Colon, but Essex's name is never brought up when it comes to positional battles. You just don't hear his name.

Hell, I liked what I saw out of Capizzi over Essex. Better leverage and better feet. While I do not see Capizzi making the team this year, he could possibly put up a good fight next season.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #80
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Steelers Notebook: Randle El hoping to get his number called a lot more
Sunday, August 19, 2007

LANDOVER, Md. -- Antwaan Randle El was supposed to flourish in the Washington Redskins' offense when he joined the team as a free agent last year.

Instead, his numbers slipped from his previous season with the Steelers. He caught 32 passes for 331 yards (11.0 average) and three touchdowns with Washington. The previous season he caught 35 for 558 (15.9) and one touchdown.

Those numbers aren't what the Redskins expected when they signed Randle El for $27 million over six seasons. Neither was it what Randle El imagined.

"Last year wasn't what I expected," Randle El told the Washington Times. "You didn't get the full gist of what I can do and what we can be as a wide receiving corps overall. What are we doing to contribute to this offense? Last year, neither Brandon [Lloyd] or I felt we got to that point. Certainly, we want to do that this year."

The Redskins were 5-11 last season and their passing offense ranked 21st in the NFL. Their quarterback play was terrible and that may have had something to do with it, as it could have affected Randle El's statistics.

Randle El caught one pass in the Redskins' first preseason game for 20 yards. His thigh was strained in that game, but he practiced last week and was ready to play last night against his former teammates. He caught his first pass against the Steelers in the second quarter last night, for 7 yards.

"It's kind of good that I'm not playing [special] teams because they know me so well that I would have to break all the things I do returning punts. Of course, I would be able to tell our guys how to block them, too."

Randle El said he maintains a warm feeling for the Steelers.

"You develop relationships that you never forget, especially with us winning the Super Bowl, and the way we won it, my last year in Pittsburgh. That brought us close together. You can't substitute for that."

Randle El did not return punts last night, but will during the season.

"If the game was in Pittsburgh, I would probably go back on punt returns just to see the reaction of the crowd. It would be great to play at Heinz Field."

Money for nothing

The Redskins are one of the most profitable franchises in the NFL, but they've won nothing under Daniel Snyder's ownership. He keeps pouring money into coaches and players -- mostly the wrong ones -- and gets nothing for it.

Yet Sports Illustrated ranked him higher than Dan Rooney among the NFL's best owners.

Under those specifications, Enron might rank ahead of General Electric among the best corporations in U.S. history.

Maxed out?

Could Max Starks lose not only his starting job but his roster spot as well? Probably not, but there's a chance Starks won't dress for games if it's determined that Trai Essex can handle the backup role at left tackle.

Essex also has practiced at guard. So, game days could look like this: Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Sean Mahan, Kendall Simmons and Willie Colon as the starters. The two backups: Essex (covering tackle and guard) and Chukky Okobi (covering center) or Chris Kemoeatu (covering guard with Simmons moving to center if something happened to Mahan).

It looks right now as if Starks either will keep his job at right tackle or not dress for games.

Injury report

Essex started at left tackle last night because Marvel Smith, who has a minor back injury, did not dress.

Five other Steelers were not in uniform because of their injuries: tight end Jerame Tuman (lower back), safety Anthony Smith (abdomen), center Okobi (back), nose tackle Chris Hoke (knee) and offensive lineman Darnell Stapleton (knee).

The Steelers alternated Starks and Colon at right tackle in the first half with the first team, and also alternated Simmons and Kemoeatu at right guard.

One in the sack

Rookie LaMarr Woodley recorded his first preseason sack to end the Redskins' first drive of the night. He and fellow rookie linebacker Lawrence Timmons got into a game together for the first time on one play in that first series of the game. Timmons lined up to the right of right outside linebacker James Harrison.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07231/810694-66.stm