Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Training Camp

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-25-2007, 06:11 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers' Tomlin makes most of indoor session

Steelers' Tomlin makes most of indoor session
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, July 25, 2007

An afternoon storm and showers sent fans scurrying for cover and forced the Steelers indoors Tuesday at St. Vincent College. Not more than 15 minutes into a practice that was held on a basketball court in the Carey Student Center, the sky cleared and it stopped raining.
"That's always the case," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "You make the decision to shut it down, the rain stops. Had we waited for the rain to subside it would still be raining."

? While not happy that the bad weather stopped the Steelers from practicing outside following a spirited morning practice, Tomlin said he was pleased with how the players handled the situation. The Steelers ran 11-on-11 drills inside the gym in what amounted to a walkthrough, using the time to work on things such as pre-snap recognition.

? The Steelers have placed running back Verron Haynes (knee) and linebacker Derek Rehage (thumb) on the physically unable to perform list. Haynes, who had reconstructive knee surgery in November, said the Steelers have been holding him out of practice for precautionary reasons. He did take part in some 11-on-11 drills in the afternoon.

"I'm ready to go," Haynes said, "but it's a long training camp."
? Santonio Holmes didn't practice. The second-year wide receiver is "day-to-day" as he recovers from a non-football related medical procedure, Tomlin said. The Steelers have not disclosed what type of procedure Holmes had.

? A day after the Steelers signed Troy Polamalu to a five-year contract extension, linebacker Clark Haggans said he remains hopeful that he can work out a deal with the organization. Haggans, 30, is in the final year of his contract. He is slated to start at left outside linebacker, but the Steelers may opt to let him leave as a free agent after this season since they also have rookie LaMarr Woodley at the position. Woodley, a second-round draft pick, has impressed the Steelers with his physical play and his ability to pick things up.

"Hopefully something will get worked out," Haggans said. "I don't want to go anywhere. I love it here."

? Willie Reid said he doesn't have any lingering effects from the foot sprain that sidelined the wide receiver/kick returner for most of last season.

"The foot is great," Reid said.

The Steelers held Reid out of most of organized team activity practices in June as a precaution after he experienced soreness in his left foot. Before the start of training camp, Tomlin said questions about Reid's ability to stay healthy factored into the Steelers' signing Dan Sheldon, who is also a wide receiver/kick returner. After the Steelers' first practice of the season yesterday, Reid said he is 100 percent healthy and focused on becoming the game-breaking returner the Steelers thought they were getting when they took the former Florida State star in the third round of the 2006 draft.

"I'm ready to be one of the best returners in the league," Reid said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Digits
10 - Fumbles LaMarr Woodley forced during his career at the University of Michigan, which is a school record.

824 - Receiving yards by Santonio Holmes last season, which is second-most in Steelers history.

2 - Games last season in which Ben Roethlisberger threw for at least 300 yards.

4 - Games in his career in which Roethlisberger has thrown for at least 300 yards.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,581 Posts
Default Re: Steelers' Tomlin makes most of indoor session

Quote:
"I'm ready to be one of the best returners in the league," Reid said.
good to see this type of confidence.
Quote:
"Hopefully something will get worked out," Haggans said. "I don't want to go anywhere. I love it here."
looks like the coaching change and tough camps aren affecting this veteran any. it sure would be nice to keep him at a discount. i'd hate to see him on the patriots.

however i did see a clip of woodley blowing up n. davenport on the blocking drills. its hard not to get excited when you think he will be put in the same position to have every bit of success k. bell did in his rookie season.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

Clark Haggans does a good job at OLB. It would be a shame to see him depart. Alas, he is 30, and the Steelers drafted 2 LBs this year. This look bleek for Clark.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
Clark Haggans does a good job at OLB. It would be a shame to see him depart. Alas, he is 30, and the Steelers drafted 2 LBs this year. This look bleek for Clark.
He has said he wants to stay here, maybe he'll take the Bettis paycut and stay as a great backup. Even though I'm sure he could get a good contract somewhere else, but I'm hoping for the first thing to happen.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I panicked for a moment when I saw that Colclough was returning punts. Please stay healthy, Willie Reid!
Old 07-25-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
He has said he wants to stay here, maybe he'll take the Bettis paycut and stay as a great backup. Even though I'm sure he could get a good contract somewhere else, but I'm hoping for the first thing to happen.
Sure would be nice. It would extend his career as well, as his body would not be beaten up as much. Bettis probably was able to extend his career by two years by stepping aside for Zeroueioaeaieu the first year, the Sweatsuit model the next year, then Willie the last.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote