Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Training Camp

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-25-2007, 06:03 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Inside the ropes: Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Inside the ropes
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Tuesday morning's practice was highlighted by the always-spirited "backs-on-'backers" drill, a pass-rush/blitz-pickup exercise that caused contact and created controversy.
Linebacker Larry Foote insisted the defense won. Fullback Dan Kreider maintained the offense prevailed.

Coach Mike Tomlin was asked twice whether the offense or defense won, but he declined both times to settle the issue.

The Tribune-Review scored the drill heavily in favor of the offense.

Kreider, as always, was strong in the drill, while running backs Willie Parker and John Kuhn also impressed.
For the defense, linebackers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley stood out.

Woodley, the Steelers' No. 2 pick, delivered the highlight hit of the drill when he pancaked running back Najeh Davenport on his way to the imaginary QB on the final repetition.

That's one

Tight end Matt Spaeth, a No. 3 pick from Minnesota, made an acrobatic catch over the middle in 11-on-11 drills.

Him again

Woodley also came up with an interception of a ball thrown by quarterback Bryan Randall that glanced off running back Carey Davis.

Him again, part II

Cornerback Ricardo Colclough was lined up deep as a punt returner yesterday morning.

So were wide receivers Cedrick Wilson, Willie Reid, Chris Jackson and Dan Sheldon, and cornerback Jovon Johnson.

Plan B

Rain forced the Steelers into the gym at St. Vincent College yesterday afternoon and reduced their scheduled practice to a walk-through.

Tackle Brandon Torrey worked at left guard with the second-team offensive line.

No. 1 pick Lawrence Timmons, listed second on the depth chart at right outside linebacker behind Harrison, also worked at inside linebacker.

He said it

Assistant head coach/defensive line coach John Mitchell on Woodley and his 6-foot-2, 255-pound frame: "I told him he's about two McDonald's meals away from me coaching him, rather than (linebackers coach) Keith Butler, but I like the young man. In our OTAs he showed a lot of ability to rush the passer off the edge."
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Inside the ropes: Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Things seem to be going well. Spaeth making an acrobatic catch, would love to see that. Woodley is certainly impressing the coaches and from I've read his impressing me too, we got a gem here in the second round. Everything's going well, except one thing...Keep Ricardo off the returns, we had to suffer enough last season, I don't think we can take that anymore, Reid says he's ready, leave him at the returns, even if he's not excellent he's obviously going to be better than Colclough
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Assistant head coach/defensive line coach John Mitchell on Woodley and his 6-foot-2, 255-pound frame: "I told him he's about two McDonald's meals away from me coaching him, rather than (linebackers coach) Keith Butler, but I like the young man. In our OTAs he showed a lot of ability to rush the passer off the edge."
If he can move with that weight...

Wow... Talk about 3-4 4-3 shifts
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Woodley, the Steelers' No. 2 pick, delivered the highlight hit of the drill when he pancaked running back Najeh Davenport on his way to the imaginary QB on the final repetition.
Me likey! Getting to the QB is one of the areas I strongly feel the Steelers' D needs to improve.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Me likey! Getting to the QB is one of the areas I strongly feel the Steelers' D needs to improve.
Yep.

Or... our offense blocking is in REALLY bad shape.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote