Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-25-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Thumbs up 4 Steelers in the SI's "Hardest Hitters in NFL History"

I was just checking out SI's photo gallery for new updates. Out of 25 top hard hitters we've got 4 of ours. You guys can go over there and check it out for the photos. And in your opinion, if they were making a list for today's players who do you think would be in it?

Quote:
8. Joe Greene, Defensive Tackle 1969-1981 Pittsburgh

The cornerstone of Pittsburgh's Steel Curtain defense, Greene was blessed with size, speed, strength, quickness and determination. In 1974, he developed the tactic of lining up at a sharp angle between the guard and center to disrupt their blocking assignments and leave him free to punish the offense.

10. Ernie "Fats" Holmes, Defensive Tackle 1972-1977 Pittsburgh, 1978 New England

Holmes was sometimes overshadowed by his fellow Steel Curtain defenders, but he hit as hard as the rest of them -- and dwarfed most of them in size. "I don't mind knocking somebody out," Holmes said in 1975. "If I hear a moan and a groan coming from a player I've hit, the adrenaline flows within me. I get more energy and play harder."

15. Jack Lambert, Linebacker 1974-1984 Pittsburgh

"Yes, I get satisfaction out of hitting a guy and seeing him lie there a while," the middle linebacker once said. Lambert believed football was designed to "reward the ones who hit the hardest," and used that attitude to help shape and reinforce Pittsburgh's Steel Curtain defense.

22. Donnie Shell, Safety 1974-1987 Pittsburgh

At 5-11 and 190 pounds, Shell was often much smaller than opposing receivers, but he was such a fierce tackler he won battles against many of the best and biggest tight ends and wide receivers. Shell hit people so hard a writer once punned, ''He just leaves 'em Shell-shocked.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html
Old 07-25-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Unhappy Re: 4 Steelers in the SI's "Hardest Hitters in NFL History"

CORRECTION. Sorry, there is a list already for hard hitters of present day players. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html My bad. And there are two Ratbirds in the top ten. Their bad. But we can still talk about Steelers hard hitters.

Last edited by SteelersMongol; 07-25-2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: add
SteelersMongol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:16 PM   #3
steel-EERS
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2166
Default Re: 4 Steelers in the SI's "Hardest Hitters in NFL History"

I always thought Greg Lloyd was explosive, I know he knocked snot bubbles outta Bret Favre's ear hole on more than one occaision! Ask Earl Campbell about Shell, betcha he's number one on Earl's list.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Seems good. In some years anthony smith will be there too
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,842 Times in 2,096 Posts

brett favre has seen alot of players in his day. im pretty sure if you ask him he will say greg lloyd.

nevermind the fact that lloyd held a black belt in tae kwon do. in a pre season game he hit favre so hard, he knocked him back 5 yards through the air, (watch the replays- its no exaggeration) broke his jaw, and kick started a year long addiction to vicodin.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Lloyd was a hard hitter.

In a few years,we'll be seeing Woodley on that list just obliterating QB's.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:34 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
brett favre has seen alot of players in his day. im pretty sure if you ask him he will say greg lloyd.

nevermind the fact that lloyd held a black belt in tae kwon do. in a pre season game he hit favre so hard, he knocked him back 5 yards through the air, (watch the replays- its no exaggeration) broke his jaw, and kick started a year long addiction to vicodin.
I forgot about that.

Yep. What really ticked me off, If I remember right, was that he was fined and even suspended, when he came forward, said that he was addicted to pain killers, and that he was checking himself in for help.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:43 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,842 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I forgot about that.

Yep. What really ticked me off, If I remember right, was that he was fined and even suspended, when he came forward, said that he was addicted to pain killers, and that he was checking himself in for help.
brett favre was still a great qb, even as he was vomiting painkillers into the toilet and fishing them out, only to take them again. after checking himself in, he kicked the habit, became even better, and won a sb in the same year.

like favre, lloyd had his own transgressions. i only hope lloyd can go on to be a "champion" in life.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:08 AM   #9
yinzer-inseattle
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4779

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersMongol View Post
CORRECTION. Sorry, there is a list already for hard hitters of present day players. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html My bad. And there are two Ratbirds in the top ten. Their bad. But we can still talk about Steelers hard hitters.
The present day list is all defensive guys. I would put Hines up there against any of them. He's a ruthless blocker unafraid to take on anyone regardless of size. Plus he doesn't just pile on like some others on the list
Old 07-26-2007, 01:25 AM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
brett favre was still a great qb, even as he was vomiting painkillers into the toilet and fishing them out, only to take them again. after checking himself in, he kicked the habit, became even better, and won a sb in the same year.

like favre, lloyd had his own transgressions. i only hope lloyd can go on to be a "champion" in life.
I agree...

I have never liked Favre.. but I have always respected what he has done on the field. He has had and done some amazing things and moments...
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote