Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-25-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Rumor: Haggans wants new contract

Steelers' Haggans wants a new deal
Wednesday, Jul 25, 2007 8:31 pm EDT

A day after the Pittsburgh Steelers signed Troy Polamalu to a five-year contract extension, linebacker Clark Haggans said he remains hopeful that he can work out a deal with the organization. Haggans, 30, is in the final year of his contract.

He is slated to start at left outside linebacker, but the Steelers may opt to let him leave as a free agent after this season since they also have rookie LaMarr Woodley at the position. Woodley, a second-round draft pick, has impressed the Steelers with his physical play and his ability to pick things up.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/p...?urn=nfl,40405
Old 07-25-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Default Re: Rumor: Haggans wants new contract

Judging that we just drafted two LB's, I think Clark's days are numbered in Pittsburgh.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,382 Times in 501 Posts

Does the F.O. negotiate during TC, or is their moratorium on contract negotiations only during the regular season?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:42 PM   #4
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Regular season is the moratorium.

I see us letting Haggans walk.Another OLB on the wrong side of 30 with declining stats.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,949 Times in 4,535 Posts

Quote:
"Hopefully something will get worked out," Haggans said. "I don't want to go anywhere. I love it here."
...and this was after the 1st day of camp. he's still got gas in the tank. i know we dont give guys over 30 extensions or new deals which makes the big money aaron smith quietly got even more suprising.

the question for haggans is if he loves it as much as jerome or if he loves it as much as faneca? (the patriots are more likely to offer him more $$$ next year)

ward, haggans, faneca, kreider, wilson, batch, clark, tuman, okolbi, could all be asking themselves the same question next year. (wow, thats ALOT of capspace)
Old 07-25-2007, 10:49 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
ward, haggans, faneca, kreider, wilson, batch, clark, tuman, okolbi, could all be asking themselves the same question next year. (wow, thats ALOT of capspace)
You could possibly add Starks and Simmons to that list.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:01 PM   #7
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
Ward- I see him taking a cut in pay to remain a Steeler.

Haggans- Wrong side of 30,declining stats,will probally be giving up a starting spot to Woodley.I don't see him returning unless he's willing to take less and be a backup.

Faneca- We all know Big Red is gone after this year.

Kreider- I think he'll be a Steeler for life.He's mainly a roaming lineman,pancaking anyone who gets near him in a different colored jersey.They don't make big dollars.

Wilson- I can't wait until we get rid of this waste of a roster spot.I don't know how many balls fell through his "hands" and right into a defender's for an INT last year.he got a ring (possibly two if we win it all again this year) out of his time here,after we release him he'll either retire or become a Brown or Patriot.

Batch- This one is complicated.He's from Pittsburgh,grew up a Steelers fan.I am sure he'd have no problem backing up Ben and winning another ring or two making less money.However,I also can see him wanting to make an attempt at reviving his career as a starter somewhere.The possibility is there that we trade him to Atlanta for one of thier second round draft picks.

Clark- I think he'd want to start instead of backing up Anthony Smith,so he'd be released or traded.

Tuman- He knows all he can be is a second TE in this league.As long as he produces when asked to,he'll be in the Black and Gold.

Okobi- All depends on if he wins the center battle in TC.If he wins it,I think he's in the fold.If he loses,this may be his last year as a Steeler.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:04 PM   #8
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

If he really wants to stay here maybe he'll end up taking a smaller contract. I hope he stays, he could be a perfect backup for Woodley, and for either side of the outside linebackers
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:06 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,949 Times in 4,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
You could possibly add Starks and Simmons to that list.
yeah, i was gonna add them (neither will stay for their current salary) but im pretty sure they make the least amount of $$$ on that list.

i looked at it the other day and i think simmons only makes $770,000/ year on his rookie contract. starks is easilly under 2 mil. let them walk along with the aformentioned and we have plenty of cap room to do just about whatever tomlin wants.

i sure hate the thought of m. bulger and t. romo dictating big bens asking price though.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:11 PM   #10
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Ward- I see him taking a cut in pay to remain a Steeler.

Haggans- Wrong side of 30,declining stats,will probally be giving up a starting spot to Woodley.I don't see him returning unless he's willing to take less and be a backup.

Faneca- We all know Big Red is gone after this year.

Kreider- I think he'll be a Steeler for life.He's mainly a roaming lineman,pancaking anyone who gets near him in a different colored jersey.They don't make big dollars.

Wilson- I can't wait until we get rid of this waste of a roster spot.I don't know how many balls fell through his "hands" and right into a defender's for an INT last year.he got a ring (possibly two if we win it all again this year) out of his time here,after we release him he'll either retire or become a Brown or Patriot.

Batch- This one is complicated.He's from Pittsburgh,grew up a Steelers fan.I am sure he'd have no problem backing up Ben and winning another ring or two making less money.However,I also can see him wanting to make an attempt at reviving his career as a starter somewhere.The possibility is there that we trade him to Atlanta for one of thier second round draft picks.

Clark- I think he'd want to start instead of backing up Anthony Smith,so he'd be released or traded.

Tuman- He knows all he can be is a second TE in this league.As long as he produces when asked to,he'll be in the Black and Gold.

Okobi- All depends on if he wins the center battle in TC.If he wins it,I think he's in the fold.If he loses,this may be his last year as a Steeler.
Can't wait for a headline next offseason that says "Cedric Wilson Released". I really hope Kreider stays, he's worth a fair contract and like you said, fullbacks aren't paid much, so probably the steelers will come to an agreement with him in 2008
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote