Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default RUMOR:Big Ten Possibly Considering Expansion

http://www.fanblogs.com/big10/007066.php

RUTGERS - The current darling of the Big East, Rutgers boasts one of the biggest television markets in the world - NJ/NY/NYC. The Scarlet Knights lack some of the cache that other schools offer, but you can't beat Rutgers when it comes to TV market.

BOSTON COLLEGE -
Despite recently fronting a lot of cash to join the ACC, it's not unreasonable to think that the Big 10 could offer Boston College a better deal to join up. Besides the obvious geographic advantages which would give BC better options for team travel, the Eagles would also benefit from developing conference rivalries that would be within a more reasonable weekend travel distance from Boston. BC would be the second smallest school in the conference, and the Big 10's second private institution. Boston is the 7th largest television market, so you have to think that BC will be on the target list, ACC affiliation be damned.

NAVY - The Midshipmen would be an outstanding football only member, because they have both the #8 (Washington) and #24 (Baltimore) TV markets, but also have a respectable nationwide following. The problem with Navy is that it would require the Big 10 to agree to waive membership in many of the conference's sports.

UCONN -
Just down the list at #28 television market is Hartford/New Haven, which brings us to the UConn Huskies. The Huskies lack the football tradition, but certainly bring some serious pop & street cred on the mens & womens basketball front. At 16,300 undergrads, UConn would be the second smallest school in the conference, roughly twice the size of Northwestern. Still... UConn would open up a new TV market.

SYRACUSE - The Orange have a reputation that would hold up nicely to some of the other Big 10 schools, which could put them near the top of the field, but play in the 79th biggest television market. There are a lot of other options above SU.

PITT - The Pitt Panthers play in one of the larger television markets currently within the current Big 10 conference... but Pittsburgh is already within the Big 10's reach. Long story short, Pitt would be at the bottom of the list for expansion under Delany's new tv-centric strategy.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Default Re: RUMOR:Big Ten Possibly Considering Expansion

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...xpansion_N.htm

Big Ten Network has conference thinking expansion — again

By Randy Peterson, Des Moines Register
The creation of the Big Ten Network means conference officials likely will discuss expansion again, Commissioner Jim Delany said Wednesday.

"I think we need to look at it in the next year," he said during a wide-ranging interview with Register reporters.

Adding a 12th team likely will be revisited because of the network, which is scheduled to launch Aug. 30, Delany said. An additional big-name university in a large television market means more exposure for the network and its sponsors.

"It changes to some extent how you think about it," Delany said of expansion. "The broader (the network) is distributed, the more value (expansion) has.

"We have eight states. With expansion, you could have nine."

Said Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz: "If it makes sense — if the right institution was interested — I think there would be consideration given."

The conference looked toward Notre Dame when exploring expanding to 12 teams in 1999 but the Irish chose to remain a football independent.

"There was great value there," Delany said of Notre Dame's national appeal. "There aren't many universities that produce that kind of value."

Rutgers and Syracuse could be universities at whom the Big Ten looks.

"Wherever," Delany said when asked about specifics. "With the network — there's a different element. It changes the dynamics."

In football, a 12th university could mean two divisions and a postseason playoff.

"Any television executive would do whatever they could to be able to air a game like the Big Ten championship," said Mark Silverman, Big Ten Network president. "It would be worth a considerable amount of value.

"Fans would take to something of that nature if it were in the best interest of the conference."

Coaches think otherwise, said Ferentz.

"I've not met anybody in coaching that really enjoys it," Ferentz said of the divisional playoff format.

"There's a lot of downside to it, in my opinion."

Among the concerns are playing an additional game and the potential of missing out on a BCS bowl if you lose the conference title game.

But expansion could also result in a large conference without divisions.

"I'm agnostic," Delany said. "I could live with two divisions and a championship game, but I think that has a tendency to devalue the season-ending game and have a negative impact on your losing team in season-ending games.

"I don't want us to tear ourselves apart over the structure of football for the sake of expansion."

Nor does Ferentz.

"If it makes sense — if the right institution was interested — I think there would be consideration given," he said.

Delany cautioned against rushing to add a 12th school.

"You have to build a network that has value first," Delany said. "You don't expand it until you have it built.

"Until we have a fully distributed network in the eight states, then you have a value and then you can look at expansion.

"Every time you make a major adjustment in the Big Ten, there's a gestation period. You have to allow one set of efforts to settle in, and then catch a breath."
Posted 1d 1h ago

Old 07-27-2007, 07:19 AM   #3
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Say it with me now.....BRING ON PITT...BRING ON PITT....SHIIII OH WAIT SORRY...BRING ON PITT!!!
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:26 AM   #4
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz05 View Post
Say it with me now.....BRING ON PITT...BRING ON PITT....SHIIII OH WAIT SORRY...BRING ON PITT!!!
To the Pitt fans on this board, Buzz and I welcome your teams.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I would welcome Pitt into the Big 10...though I'd have to stop rooting for them due to my fierce allegience to the Ohio State Buckeyes.

It would finally give Penn State that inter-conference true rival like Michigan-Ohio State.Yeah Penn State is inter-conferance rivals with the Buckeyes,Wolverines,and the other schools...but they don't have that marquee rivalry.

Penn State-Pitt is a fierce rivalry that has a lot of history...however would Pitt want to give up that inter-conferance rivalry in the Big East that they have with West Virginia?Not to mention Pitt would be battling with conference powerhouse programs such as: Ohio State,Penn State,Michigan,Wisconsin,and Iowa.In the Big East they have Rutgers and West Virginia as thier only true challengers to the Big East Championship.

The team I would love to see join the Big 10 is Notre Dame.All that money that would come into the conferance,that nationwide fanbase.Hell,they already play a large portion of thier schedule against Big 10 schools.

However,the ideal situation,IMHO,would be to remove a school from the Big 10.Take it back down to 10 teams so you face every team in the conference,this way there is always an outright champion.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

If anyone gets removed, make it like the levels of Indiana considering they've been down at the bottom of the conference

Notre Dame won't join because they're too stubborn.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:13 AM   #7
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Mizzou is also a Big Ten target.

They won't dump Indiana because of the basketball tradition.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Mizzou is also a Big Ten target.

They won't dump Indiana because of the basketball tradition.
That's for sure. They should, but they won't.

There is no team you can really knock of the conference though. Some Big Ten teams that do bad in some sports do better in others.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:08 AM   #9
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

I'd like to see either Penn State or Notre Dame join just to make the conference stronger.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:28 AM   #10
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXTheSteelKingsXx View Post
I'd like to see either Penn State or Notre Dame join just to make the conference stronger.
Penn State is already in the Big Ten.

Notre Dame won't join unfortunately as much as I want it to happen. They're too concerned about playing P.O.S. teams that can make the wads of cash. They don't want to step up and play quality opponents and do some revenue sharing.