Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-30-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803
Default Re: RUMOR:Big Ten Possibly Considering Expansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Penn State is already in the Big Ten.

Notre Dame won't join unfortunately as much as I want it to happen. They're too concerned about playing P.O.S. teams that can make the wads of cash. They don't want to step up and play quality opponents and do some revenue sharing.
Yeah I dont know what the hell I was thinking I ment to put Pitt. Idiot.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:54 AM   #12
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXTheSteelKingsXx View Post
Yeah I dont know what the hell I was thinking I ment to put Pitt. Idiot.
Brain farts happen.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #13
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

http://centredaily.com/sports/colleg...ry/167489.html

Conference not in hurry for 12th member
By Jeff Rice - jrice@centredaily.com

CHICAGO -- The Big Ten is not looking to become a dozen, Jim Delany said Tuesday.

Offering a thorough explanation of his comments made to an Iowa newspaper last week, the Big Ten's commissioner said that adding a 12th team was not a "front-burner issue" for the conference as it prepares to usher in the Big Ten Network later this month.

"I think expansion is always possible," Delany said at the Big Ten Media Days. "But as you know, we expanded in 1990 (when Penn State joined the conference) and with the exception of Notre Dame, we really haven't had any conversations with anyone, nor do we have plans to have conversations with anyone. But it did capture the imagination of newspaper writers and radio talk show people."

Delany was speaking of a story in the Des Moines Register last week in which he was quoted as saying: "I think we need to look at (expansion) in the next year," citing broader distribution for the Big Ten Network, the all-sports television channel that is set to launch Aug. 30, as one of the primary reasons.

Tuesday, though, Delany said that the marketing opportunities that could come from adding a 12th team -- and bumping the number of member states from eight to nine -- was just one of several criteria the conference would seek in prospective candidates. The others included what he referred to as "institutional fit" and a reputation for broad-based programs. He was careful Tuesday not to say that he had been misquoted by the Register but believed he needed to provide additional context after speculation rippled across the country.

"I think it's just important for everyone to understand -- there were no misquotes there," Delany said, "but as the stories get reiterated in other media, whether it's blogs or talk radio, I think one would believe we're on the cusp of expansion and that's probably not an accurate characterization."

Adding a 12th team would allow the Big Ten to potentially hold a conference championship game in football, a prospect that has been met with little enthusiasm by both the league's coaches and administrators.

"We're not looking for a championship game," Delany said. "If we were looking for a championship game, we would have had one 15 years ago."

The television marketing opportunities presented by a conference championship game, such as those played by the Southeastern, Atlantic Coast and Big 12 conferences, are obvious, but Delany said that a championship games tend to "minimize the value of season-ending, traditional games," such as the annual Michigan-Ohio State clash, and losing those games can adversely affect the conference's bowl lineup.

"When weighing all those things, we hadn't thought at all that it directed us toward expansion," Delany said. "In fact, it might have directed us away from expansion."

Delany also used a good chunk of Tuesday's 30-minute talk to address steps the Big Ten is taking to shore up the integrity of college athletics. He said the conference is putting greater emphasis on background checks of officials, a process that includes keeping open lines of communication with the FBI.

"We get permission from the official to look at records," Delany said. "And then if you see something that's bothersome or troublesome, you ask more questions."

Big Ten athletic directors, university presidents and team physicians have approved a conference-wide drug-testing program that will, beginning this year, test about 10 percent (some 850) of Big Ten athletes in all sports for banned substances only. That 10 percent could include a greater concentration among certain sports than others, Delany said, and a first positive test would result in a one-year suspension and loss of eligibility.

Last week, Pac-10 commissioner Tom Hansen said the Pac-10 would walk away from the Bowl Championship Series if the BCS decided to adopt the plus-one playoff model, which would pit the two highest-ranked teams after the bowl games against each other for the national title. Delany took a less severe stance on the issue Tuesday. ABC has a deal with the Rose Bowl - which used to include the Big Ten and Pac-10 champions until the advent of the BCS -- through 2014. The BCS has a deal with Fox until 2009.

"We're gonna honor the agreements we have both with the BCS and the Rose Bowl," Delany said. "And really, if there's an effort to change the structure of the BCS, that will just have to be evaluated, not only by the Big Ten, Pac-10, and the Rose Bowl, but also ABC."

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote