Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-27-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
SteelerWatch
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5526
Default A thought on Max Starks

I'd like to get some opinions on a thought I just had.

Max Starks, we all know, is a beast and can block with the best of them at times, but other times he looks like a statue. I'm too far from Latrobe (as in several states away, not counties) to be able to make it out for training camp any year, so I don't see what the guys go through. But does anyone think that maybe his training is a little bit off because, in 11-on-11 drills, he faces our 3-4 defense rather than the 4-3 which is far more common in the NFL? Does anyone think it's possible that he has trouble with defending against a true pass-rushing defensive end because he hasn't faced them in camp and practice?

I don't want to make excuses for the guy. I have regularly condemned him as liability numero uno for the Steelers and the single biggest resting place for the blame for last year's debacle. But given the amount of natural talent and size he has, it doesn't make sense that he should be so bad at game time.

Thoughts?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Re: A thought on Max Starks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerWatch View Post
I'd like to get some opinions on a thought I just had.

Max Starks, we all know, is a beast and can block with the best of them at times, but other times he looks like a statue. I'm too far from Latrobe (as in several states away, not counties) to be able to make it out for training camp any year, so I don't see what the guys go through.
Therein lies is the problem ..... people keep telling me he can do this and that and how big a strong he is but honestly ??.. I haven't seen it. It's not that he get beat that bothers me so much as how he gets beat. I see him get "bull rushed" by guys 50 pounds+ smaller than he is. Also, when is the last time I can remember him really dominating his guy on a running play? I can't remember it. Sorry, Max seems like a nice guy who has that word potential always associated with his name. However, at some point, the potential tag becomes more of a liability than an asset.

Quote:
But does anyone think that maybe his training is a little bit off because, in 11-on-11 drills, he faces our 3-4 defense rather than the 4-3 which is far more common in the NFL? Does anyone think it's possible that he has trouble with defending against a true pass-rushing defensive end because he hasn't faced them in camp and practice?

I don't want to make excuses for the guy. I have regularly condemned him as liability numero uno for the Steelers and the single biggest resting place for the blame for last year's debacle. But given the amount of natural talent and size he has, it doesn't make sense that he should be so bad at game time.

Thoughts?
John Jackson become a pro bowler, and truely one of the best tackles in the game, practicing against the 3-4. Even Marvel Smith has made it to a pro bowl a few years ago. Maybe you are correct that it was a bit of a challenge in Max's first season, but this is his 4th year .... no more excuses Max.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:31 AM   #3
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Max has been in the league long enough and played against enough 4-3 during his last couple years that he should know how to practice for it and how to ask the coaches what to do when this defensive guy does this and that. There is no more excuses for him. He first needs to win his position in camp and then prove he can hold it during the season. Me personally do not feel the way others do about this big log who got blown up all year long last season. Simmons also in the same boat, looked promising from the start but then last season, he took a beating. Smaller guys then simmons set him straight on his butt and made it to the QB.

If we want to improve are running game it goes first by fixing the issues first on that line, and if it is by moving Mahan over simmons and colon over starks so be it. Its there own fault why they loose there position and there is no excuse why they should keep it if the coach sees different.

Who ever starts the season, still has to play to hold his job during the season. I do not see the new coaching staff allowing a lot of sacks if that particular lineman cannot stand his ground and or make adjustments.

We will have a good ideal soon who will be the starting right side of that line and no matter what any of us think it will be what we have to deal with and see if the new coaching staff improved there play.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
Therein lies is the problem ..... people keep telling me he can do this and that and how big a strong he is but honestly ??.. I haven't seen it. It's not that he get beat that bothers me so much as how he gets beat. I see him get "bull rushed" by guys 50 pounds+ smaller than he is. Also, when is the last time I can remember him really dominating his guy on a running play? I can't remember it. Sorry, Max seems like a nice guy who has that word potential always associated with his name. However, at some point, the potential tag becomes more of a liability than an asset.

John Jackson become a pro bowler, and truely one of the best tackles in the game, practicing against the 3-4. Even Marvel Smith has made it to a pro bowl a few years ago. Maybe you are correct that it was a bit of a challenge in Max's first season, but this is his 4th year .... no more excuses Max.
Well said, there's no excuse for starks anymore, he's been in the league long enough and hasn't proved that his size actually helps him. He better do good in this training camp, if not he's most probably out next year, or probably this year.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

No i go to Training camp all the time and he plays against all diff. sorts of Defenses they def. mix it up alot, but i see where your coming from and yes sometimes he looks solid and then sometimes he does look like one big statue.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #6
SteelerWatch
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5526

I've seen him take on the biggest ends in the game. I've seen him man-handle Ray Lewis. And I've seen him look like a fool trying to block a safety who has a 120 pound disadvantage.

Trust me, I'm not making excuses for him. He's the biggest liability on the offense. I'd imagine that at least a third of Roethlisberger's interceptions and sacks could have been prevented if Starks could have picked up his assignment correctly.

Honestly, I see Colon replacing him this year. I agree that four years should be enough time to figure out how to block a 4-3 end. I just wanted to see what you guys thought about him.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

The man befuddles me.

Like I said in another post... Starks needs Willie Colon's attitude.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

Sorry but I've seen Starks get manhandled. Severely.

I'd be very surprised if Colon isn't at RT this year.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I would LOVE to see Colon take a starting job. He actually did a very good job when he played last year. I think it was against the Ravens.

Max Starks just has that one style of blocking.... what is it called... I forget.......

oh yeah.. TURNSTYLE
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #10
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

I was actually sort of surprised when the Steelers didn't address this early in the draft this year.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote