Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 07-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default How Important is The Pre-Season?

I honestly think that the pre-season is important to me. I dont know if we need to play as many as 5 games though. I think like 3 or 4 at the most should be enough. Just so many games and too many injuries that are liable' to happen.
Also... Do you think that the pre-season final win-loss record means anything?
I think that it is good to try to win and keep or get your team morale up for the regular season...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Re: How Important is The Pre-Season?

I think pre-season does matter. I just don't see how you could evaluate young talent solely in non-game situations. It probably matters less for veterans. Still, not even every veteran has the conditioning routine of Troy or Jerry Rice (who was a workout animal as well). Some vets need pre-season to get rolling (see Big Snack). Also, when you got a new coach putting in a new playbook it becomes imperative for some pre-season games. Inevitably a player will get hurt in pre-season and the first response among some fans and media is that the NFL should shorten or cancel the pre-season. However, I think that ignores the possibility that more players would be injured in the first few regular season games if the pre-season was shortened or canceled.

I really don't think the score matters. Well, maybe it matters in places like Detroit and Cleveland, since the pre-season is pretty much their only chance at a winning record.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

It matter, only thing that doesn't matter is the win-loss record at the end
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

5 games is just stupid. If a team can't evaluate their young players in 2 or even 3 games something is wrong. If they cut it to 2 or 3 you would just see the young guys playing just about every snap. The vetrens barely play now anyway except for maybe the next to last game atleast that's usually how it works.
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog View Post
................ If they cut it to 2 or 3 you would just see the young guys playing just about every snap. The vetrens barely play now anyway except for maybe the next to last game atleast that's usually how it works.

Exactly, so if the veterans need only a certain number of quarters anyway then what is the difference if it 5 games or 3?. If Tomlin believes Ben needs six quarters to be ready for the season, he can limit hmi to that amount regardless of how many games they play. I think anywhere from 3 to 5 is fine. Remeber most of the cuts come before the last pre-season game so if you cut pre-season to 2 games you might only have one game to evaluate many of young players.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
Exactly, so if the veterans need only a certain number of quarters anyway then what is the difference if it 5 games or 3?. If Tomlin believes Ben needs six quarters to be ready for the season, he can limit hmi to that amount regardless of how many games they play. I think anywhere from 3 to 5 is fine. Remeber most of the cuts come before the last pre-season game so if you cut pre-season to 2 games you might only have one game to evaluate many of young players.
Point taken but it's still not fair that some teams play 4 and some teams play 5. The preseason has more to do with revenue than is does with getting teams ready. They won't cut it back unless they add more regular season games to make up for the money the lose. Paying full price for preseason is just not fair. I'd rather see 2 preseason games and 18 regular season games. College coaches don't need 4 or 5 games to evaluate players they do most of that in the spring.
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

If Willie Parker goes down with serious injury then all the Pre-Season talk will be its not important and they shouldn't even play the pre-season...lol

Honestly I really don't think its all that important....Its important to ready for the season and to put the players in game situations but honestly I don't care if the Steelers win or lose in pre-season....Just pray that nobody gets hurt is the main thing and for the team to get into sink ready for the season is the other.....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:11 PM   #8
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Pre season is great for me to see and watch some of the players. I do not care if we win are not, only if they give the players there chance to fight for there position and judge the guys good. There is teams that go into the pre season to win and all they get by winning the games is not making it to the playoffs because they did not take the pre season and training camp to correctly evaluate there players and make mistakes on who they let go and who they keep sometimes.

Pre season is more then just about revenue to me, because they put the players in live game action. Were that one player who rocks in camp and all the sudden you put him up against the odds in a live game and all the sudden he makes mistake after mistake, and is cut from the team because he could not cut it at the NFL Level of play. Camp is all good but having this pre season live games at full speed is necessary to really evaluate and finding a gem here and there. I know sometimes we loose a guy here are there to injury but I do like being able to see the new players in camp and in live action to get them fully evaluated. Teams are paying these players millions of dollars at this level and it takes a little more then just camp to properly select and place there talent, and cut em.

As a Steelers Nation we have seen players come into camp and just rock the world and get all the talk. Next thing we know he is cut, and there play in pre season comes into effect.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

I love preseason...its a chance for me to see some of the younger players potential without the fear of losing the game.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:41 PM   #10
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog View Post
College coaches don't need 4 or 5 games to evaluate players they do most of that in the spring.

Point taken, but how many players do colleges keep on the roster? In addition, the college coach doesn't have a cap to worry about a salary cap, and thus, somtimes have to decide between the low priced draft pick and the expensive veteran for the same roster spot..