Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-21-2005, 04:32 PM   #21
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Bring on the Pats !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
I certainly wouldn't class Ben as lucky at all - I just thing he met with a Pats D on its game and head coach with more formations and 'looks' than the entire Madden series.

Ben is an excellent QB - but if the Pats D is playing well then they can make even the best QB's (see Peyton Manning) look exteremely average.

This game should be a real eye opener as to where our respective teams are at.

Cheers

NM
Most definately, Bill B has made his living with his defenses making the best of the best look completely stupid.

Another thing Ben has going for him is he has had over a year and 2 training camps practicing against the best defense in the league, so he sees all kinds of crazy ass looks and formations, which should serve to only help him as he progresses thru this year and sees it from other teams, angles and directions.

BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:59 AM   #22
Hammer67
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 651

Quote:
I take it you were 'out' when the Pats won it all last year then....?

I believe it wouldnt be too unfair to call their secondary 'depleted' that year too.

How much have the Steelers really improved in them areas you noted?

Not to put too fine a point on it - you played to rank bad teams so far - ya won handsomely for sure - but were you ever really tested?

Alot will be revealed in 4 days time.

Cheers

NM
Actually, "I" didn't play or get tested by anyone, the Steelers did...
And, hey, any given Sunday, man. Titans looked good this week against a team many thought would win the North...

I was "out" last year? No I remember last year's AFC championship and SB all to well. Not sure what that means.

And, yes, the Pat's secondary had some issues last year as well, but when you add the other factors I mentioned for this year and add them up, it doesn't look as rosey. Especially since Teddy Bruschi was the MAN (Harrison aside) in the AFC championship game. But, again, we shall see. I still think the biggest thing is the loss of the two middle linebackers which affects the run defense.

Steelers improved on the D Line by having Casey Hampton, the pro bowler NT return. THe O Line saw a big improvement with the return of Kendal Simmons and he has played brilliantly so far. Max Starks also looks to be an upgrade over Oliver Ross at Right Tackle. Ross played well enough last year but had beena turnstile for most of his career.

The secondary has gotten younger and faster and Polamalu looks even better this year starting with training camp. Buress was a great talent at WR but was also lazy. This year there is a lot of depth and talent at WR. Willie Parker got his chance to start and looks like Marshall Faulk through two games (but as you said they weren't really great teams with stingy rush defenses. But neither are the Pat's so far this year... )

Hammer

Last edited by Hammer67; 09-22-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Hammer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:21 PM   #23
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer67
Actually, "I" didn't play or get tested by anyone, the Steelers did...
And, hey, any given Sunday, man. Titans looked good this week against a team many thought would win the North...

I was "out" last year? No I remember last year's AFC championship and SB all to well. Not sure what that means.

And, yes, the Pat's secondary had some issues last year as well, but when you add the other factors I mentioned for this year and add them up, it doesn't look as rosey. Especially since Teddy Bruschi was the MAN (Harrison aside) in the AFC championship game. But, again, we shall see. I still think the biggest thing is the loss of the two middle linebackers which affects the run defense.

Steelers improved on the D Line by having Casey Hampton, the pro bowler NT return. THe O Line saw a big improvement with the return of Kendal Simmons and he has played brilliantly so far. Max Starks also looks to be an upgrade over Oliver Ross at Right Tackle. Ross played well enough last year but had beena turnstile for most of his career.

The secondary has gotten younger and faster and Polamalu looks even better this year starting with training camp. Buress was a great talent at WR but was also lazy. This year there is a lot of depth and talent at WR. Willie Parker got his chance to start and looks like Marshall Faulk through two games (but as you said they weren't really great teams with stingy rush defenses. But neither are the Pat's so far this year... )

Hammer
Hey Hammer,

Nice point first up - im forever confusing whole teams with individual posters on Steelers forums ha ha!

The 'out' comment was referring to the fact that we were running on 4th/5th choices at DB by the time the Post season started - youre saying we are banged up this year...we were in a much worse place last year and done ok.

FYI - the Pats run D has been just fine this year -

NE ranked 12th on YPC conceded (3.4)
Pitt ranked 17th (4.4)

NE ranked 12th in yards conceded (196)
Pitt ranked 17th (210)

Considering you have had large leads for most of your opening two games these stats probably come as something of a surprise.

Of course, our running game has been less than meteoric so far - im hoping the BIG GAME injects some life into the man Corey Dillon.

Cheers

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #24
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork
"I do have some respect for HW and LITP"

You gotta watch this Cleve guy. You notice he inserted the word "some" in there. He didn't say, I respect HW and LITP. He said I do have "some" respect...........

Well, I do have SOME respect for my ex-wife.
I dont want to be labeled a sell out. I enjoy the rivalary, with knowledgable fans, like the two of you. I can take the abuse as long as the person knows what they are tlaking about. We do get some fans that dont know shit. Then we have to waste our time replying around thier ridiculous takes. Sorry I used the word "SOME" I didnt mean for you to take it the wrong way. Its just I would have more respect for you if you rooted for the Black And Gold. LOL
Old 09-22-2005, 03:13 PM   #25
Hammer67
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 651

Quote:
Hey Hammer,

Nice point first up - im forever confusing whole teams with individual posters on Steelers forums ha ha!

The 'out' comment was referring to the fact that we were running on 4th/5th choices at DB by the time the Post season started - youre saying we are banged up this year...we were in a much worse place last year and done ok.

FYI - the Pats run D has been just fine this year -

Pitt ranked 17th (4.4)

Pitt ranked 17th (210)

Considering you have had large leads for most of your opening two games these stats probably come as something of a surprise.

Of course, our running game has been less than meteoric so far - im hoping the BIG GAME injects some life into the man Corey Dillon.

Cheers

NM
196 vs 210 isn't much of a difference! Considering a big chunk of that was Carr fleeing...er...scrambling for his life cause no one was open.

These stats will level out as the season progresses...needless to say, we both agree that neither team faced a top tier running back yet. (You COULD count Dominack Davis, but I won't & Stephen Davis is still ??? after surgery...)

It will be an interesting game though...
Hammer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:15 PM   #26
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Pitt ranked 17th (4.4)

Pitt ranked 17th (210)

Just "Keepin it real" here. The rest of the stats tell the story.

Rushing TD's allowed:
Pitt 0
NE 3

1st Downs allowed by rushing:
Pitt 8
NE 12

In blowouts, while the Steelers are busy defending against spead formations with dime coverage, teams are sneaking in some running plays effectively. When it's short yardage or short field, the Steelers defense is stout.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:32 PM   #27
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

Quote:
Check out the next Bill Belicheck - it took a few minutes to work out all the intracacies and in depth analysis your game plan indicates!!

Im not sure about the Big Ben was 'spent' line either - maybe he should take a little holiday midseason to keep himself fresh for the playoffs this year....

My own game analysis? If we can keep the Steelers to less points than us I think we are sure-fire winners.

Cheers

NM
Theres a big difference between playing 11 games a season compared to his playing 17 last season. As for the "intracacies" and in depth analysis" Everyone and their mothers know we are going to run the ball down your throats until you stop us ,and that won't happen until the forth quarter when we put our scrubs in and sit on the lead.
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:04 PM   #28
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Just "Keepin it real" here. The rest of the stats tell the story.

Rushing TD's allowed:
Pitt 0
NE 3

1st Downs allowed by rushing:
Pitt 8
NE 12

In blowouts, while the Steelers are busy defending against spead formations with dime coverage, teams are sneaking in some running plays effectively. When it's short yardage or short field, the Steelers defense is stout.
Nice call there Suit - them stats to reflect fairly on some aspects of our respective run D's.

Its probably not much of an excuse...but all them 3 rushing TD's were gained from 1st and goals at the 1yd line....unless its the Colts we find it hardwork keeping teams down to 3 at that point.

Cheers

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:09 PM   #29
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCod Steel Head
Theres a big difference between playing 11 games a season compared to his playing 17 last season. As for the "intracacies" and in depth analysis" Everyone and their mothers know we are going to run the ball down your throats until you stop us ,and that won't happen until the forth quarter when we put our scrubs in and sit on the lead.
You think there is no chance that that Cowher will let Big Ben come out throwing then? I know its the Steelers way to pound the ground - but I remember alot of complaints this off-season that recent Steelers teams have suffered from a lack of variety in their offensive play-calling.

Lets face it - if you are sitting at home (and are presumably not a current NFL football coach) then you seem to almost know as much as Cowher does about the shape your offense is going to take sunday - this cant be a good thing can it?

Cheers

NM
Old 09-22-2005, 05:13 PM   #30
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

It's week 3...stats mean just about nothing at this point.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote