Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-29-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
Thumbs up What is a Steelers Fan?

What is a Steelers Fan?
What's the big deal about Steeler football? Being a Steeler fan means so much more than football.

It means being from a corner of the world unlike any other. It means being from a place where the people are so tough-minded that they have survived the Homestead strikes, the Johnstown flood and most recently the Etna Floods.

These people have the DNA of hard work, in mills and mines, without the necessity of complaint.

They live simply, with no frills. They don't have movie stars or fancy cars.

Instead, they have simple traditions like kielbasa and Kennywood.

They live in distinctive neighborhoods like Polish Hill and the Hill District and all of the surrounding counties.

These people are genuine.

They don't have chic internet cafes and cappuccinos, but they have The Original Hot Dog joint, Eat n' Park and Iron City Beer.

People from Pittsburgh don't have sunny beaches or fancy boats, but the rivers roll gently, connecting the small towns of people whose histories have been built on strength and humility.

People from Pittsburgh don't have the biggest shopping malls or the best nightclubs, but they'll take Friday night high school football and Steeler Sunday over anything.

Steeler football means so much more than you think. It symbolizes a diaspora of generations who had the best childhood they could imagine.

They ran free without a care or concern in the valleys of those Allegheny Mountains. Their blue-collar world was easy ... there was no one to tell them that they lacked material things. There was no one to tell them that they needed more.

As the steel mills closed and the jobs disappeared, some of these people had to leave. While the world benefits because they spread their Pittsburgh values, they long for their home where things were simpler and more pure.

They teach their kids about Jack Lambert and Joe Greene in hopes of departing not just the knowledge, but the feeling that they represented.

They are everywhere, those Terrible Towels. They wave, not just for the team, but for the hearts they left behind. They wave in living rooms in Fort Lauderdale and in the bars D.C. They wave all the way to the Seattle Superdome! They wave for the Rooney family, whose values mirror our own - loyalty, grit, and humility. They wave for football players like Jerome Bettis and Hines Ward, whose unselfishness and toughness have allowed sports to be about the game and the team.

Make no mistake that Steeler football is not just about football. I could not be prouder to be from the Pittsburgh area than I am right now!! Even if you no longer live in the area, you have South Western Pennsylvania in your blood no matter where you go . and deep down in your heart of hearts, you can still hear the Super Bowls of times past, the excitement in everyone's voices especially our fathers, cousins, and anyone else who gathered around the TV on Football Sundays!! Make no mistake, its just as exciting right now if not more!! It's not just about rivalries and who is better than the other, it's about family, tradition and roots! It's more than football, but its football at its finest!! If you now live in Colorado, Ohio, Indiana, Chicago, Florida, Iowa, Texas . be proud of where you were born and who your FIRST favorite football team was!!..

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736
Default Re: What is a Steelers Fan?

Very well done. Being a Steeler fan is a " WAY OF LIFE". It is a form of a religion and a positive addiction. I hope we never ever lose "The Steeler way" . Thanks for putting into words what a whole "nation" believes and lives.

Michael Keller
Formerly Alqiuippa Quips, class of 1962 and now Sacramento California
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

What is a Steelers fan?

A Steelers fan just loves lengthy monologues espousing their poetic virtues with as many clich?s as possible!

The DNA of hardwork?

Please.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Nice read Stlrs.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Wow such strong a powerful words and very true!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
What is a Steelers fan?

A Steelers fan just loves lengthy monologues espousing their poetic virtues with as many clich?s as possible!

The DNA of hardwork?

Please.
Ever worked in a steelmill or watched your dad after he came home from the mill or the look on his face when he comes home to tell the family he just got laid off, again.??

I thought not.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:07 PM   #7
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Great read
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
Ever worked in a steelmill or watched your dad after he came home from the mill or the look on his face when he comes home to tell the family he just got laid off, again.??

I thought not.

Quote:
What is a Steelers fan?

The DNA of hardwork?

Please.
I suggest you stick to pie and chips, bubbles and squeak and hot toddies there LITP. You obviously need a good clout with the clue hammer regarding the history behind Pittsburgh and its people. As a Pittsburgher, I resent your insensitive diatribe above.

Thank you for the great read, Stlrs4life - excellent and right on the money!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #9
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Being part of such a great nation is a honor and a belief in unity of fans. No other fans do it like Steelers fans. When you watch a segment are full length video on steeler nation you set there and see all your brothers and sisters and tears sometimes dawn your eyes as you know you are part of something great, something that has lived in history for over 75 years. Its period one of the best feelings and part of life.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:18 PM   #10
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

To be a Steelers' fan? Hmmmmmm
Now, I live a little south of the Pittsburgh, PA area here in western NC, but I know a little about hard work and not having much in life. I work 47 hours a week and make enough $$$ to supply my family of 4 with what we need. I come home from a 9 1/2 hour day 5 days a week and I thank the Good Lord above for the strength to be able to get out and earn a living, some folks arent in the right health to do that everyday. Now, I am not from the great town of Pittsburgh or even close in miles.. but ya know what?.... My blood is not red.... it is Black N Gold Baby.. and has been for close to 25 or so years. I love the Steelers and I love those folks that get out every day and make an honest living... not just trying to get a free ride.. (government style) there is folks that cant get out and work and God knows that. Live your life according to Jesus' Book and accept him into your life and he will bless you more than you will ever need. "I AM A STEELERS FAN AND PROUD OF IT"
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote