Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-30-2007, 01:00 AM   #21
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: What is a Steelers Fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
What?

I've been made redundant from my place of work once before and its due to happen again this Xmas - this will be the second factory I have worked in that has closed.

You'd think Pittsburgh was the only place on earth where the local economy hinged on a single industry.

Go ahead and pat yourself on the back, though.
You ever see an entire city almost shut down? then on top of that, you ever see an entire city shut down, and place all thier hopes in a sports team? Then, beyond that, the team come through 4 times in 6 years, and become the ONLY source of pride for the entire city... encompassing heart and attitude of the city in the way they went about their sport?

The only thhing CLOSE to that would be the win of the 1980 olympic hockey team against the U.S.S.R.

but I imagine that is quaint, poetically virtuous trash.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:08 AM   #22
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
LITP...

Lately you seem to be more arrogant then usual toward the Steeler team and fans.

I admire your football knowledge. However, you are utterly clueless in what the Steelers mean to the city of Pittsburgh. You can and will never have an idea. It is not like your beloved pats... or almost any other team...
Why, thank you.

Despite the fact I will 'never have an idea about what the Steelers mean to the city of Pittsburgh' I have the weirdest feeling you are about to lecture me nonetheless.

Quote:
Being that I did not grow up in Pittsburgh, I didn't get it either for a number of years. They were just a favorite team. Then when I started to hang out with other fans, I caught a much deeper understanding of who and what the team itself, and the surrounding community is.

Years ago, when the mills and everything else was closing, when the very essence and personality of the city was in doubt, there was only one thing in Pittsburgh to give them any relief from the literal hell they felt every day. That was a resurgent Steeler team that dealt with football the same way Pittsburghers deal with life. Hard, ugly, full-force, regardless of what comes at you. The Steelers became the ONE thing that they could discuss that didn't involve A. Some one else being laid off, or another mill closing. B. Some one else losing their house or C. Someone else committing suicide because they lost it all.

Yeah... other cities were dealing with it... but they didn't have a team that they could invest all thier hopes into... and have it fulfilled, giving them hope for one more week. The team, and the city made it through. Today, the team is the beloved son of the city.
Yeah, I think the article covered this, right?

You think those men and women who struggled so hard would have been busy admiring themselves through flowery prose and arrogant exaggeration?

I doubt it.

Quote:
Today, I love the Steelers even more, because of the city. I have learned to love Pittsburgh as a city because of this history (and my own personal history with the Steelers... which when expressed, every Steeler fan seems to look at me with a knowing look... ).
Thats very nice for sure, im sure.

You love the city your favorite football team plays for - im happy for you.

Quote:
You have not just posted some tripe. You have insulted a city, a people, and a history.

The saddest part about it... I doubt you have the ability to see what was posted above... and post something showing respectability.

Please prove me wrong...
I've insulted a whole city?

I see the exaggeration isn't limited to the 'poetry' - tell the city to write me an email if it wants its feelings soothed.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:09 AM   #23
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
You ever see an entire city almost shut down? then on top of that, you ever see an entire city shut down, and place all thier hopes in a sports team? Then, beyond that, the team come through 4 times in 6 years, and become the ONLY source of pride for the entire city... encompassing heart and attitude of the city in the way they went about their sport?

The only thhing CLOSE to that would be the win of the 1980 olympic hockey team against the U.S.S.R.

but I imagine that is quaint, poetically virtuous trash.
I don't remember this being a competition to see whose city/town has borne the most hardship.

The original post was flowery nonsense.

I'd say the same if I read it about the USA hockey team.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:01 AM   #24
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I was about to respond with another long post...

however...

I guess it just isn't really worth it. Somethings are just lost on people.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:35 AM   #25
Kittyfish
Bench Warmer

Location: A couple of hours north of Pgh - so close and yet so far...
Member Number: 5212

Well, this may or may not be pertinent, but I just got back from visiting friends in Michigan. I was there for 8 days and in all that time saw ONE Lions shirt, or anything else Lions. Granted, the Lions haven't been giving their fans much to brag about, but still. Saw a few Tigers shirts, but not many. The largest "city" near me is Butler, PA, which is a couple of hours north of Pittsburgh. No matter what time of year, no matter how the Steelers are doing, you see tons and tons of Steelers stuff when you go to town. Shirts, jerseys, hats, bumper stickers, decorated cars, you name it. I just ordered a big Steelers patch to put on the back of my otherwise-wonderful-but-too-plain black winter jacket. I am not a native Pittsburgher, but it's obvious that the Steelers are truly part of the culture here, and we take great pride in our history.
Kittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #26
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Hey, don't forget about us "outta-tahners...." the fans who did not come from the Western PA area but "adopted" the city when we chose the Steelers as our favorite team.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:12 PM   #27
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
What?

I've been made redundant from my place of work once before and its due to happen again this Xmas - this will be the second factory I have worked in that has closed.

You'd think Pittsburgh was the only place on earth where the local economy hinged on a single industry.

Go ahead and pat yourself on the back, though.
I wouldn't expect a fan that doesn't live or probably even visited the town where the team whose bandwagon they jumped on to understand. How long have you been a Patsie fan??

BTW who is "living in the past" now? That must have seemed like a clever name when you picked it in 05.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #28
Virginia Steeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5793

not sure why livinginthepast is even on a Steelers message board...I'd rather watch the View than go on another team's site....
Virginia Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #29
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Wow, who knew such an innocent little piece of prose would raise such emotions?

If you're interested in seeing a more "realistic" view of life in Western Pennsylvania, circa late 1970s/early 1980s, I highly recommend the very movie to which Coach Tomlin alluded last weekend, All The Right Moves.

It's a completely unsentimental look at Western Pennsylvania steeltown life in all its hopeless, unromantic glory, and one of Tom Cruise's earliest starring roles. It may be the extreme opposite of "What is a Steelers Fan?", but it's a surprisingly accurate portrait of the kind of place in which many of us "natives" grew up.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:10 PM   #30
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I wouldn't expect a fan that doesn't live or probably even visited the town where the team whose bandwagon they jumped on to understand. How long have you been a Patsie fan??

BTW who is "living in the past" now? That must have seemed like a clever name when you picked it in 05.
Stick to the subject at hand.

You can imagine how many times i've had to addess questions with a similar lack of imagination before.