Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Training Camp

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 07-30-2007, 01:11 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Steelers work past hard feelings

Steelers work past hard feelings
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, July 30, 2007

Wide receiver Willie Reid was still in one piece, and the competitive harmony between the Steelers' offense and defense was intact Sunday afternoon at St. Vincent College.

Following recent events, that constituted news entering the second week of the team's first training camp under new coach Mike Tomlin.

The fists, hits and fighting words were flying on Saturday afternoon, when Reid absorbed vicious shots from safeties Ryan Clark and Anthony Smith.

Those shots were delivered after a fight between safety Tyrone Carter and wide receiver Nate Washington.

"Just a good, hard football practice," Clark said.

Wide receiver Hines Ward offered a dissenting opinion, characterizing the actions of the defense as "chicken-(expletive)."

Yesterday, the offensive and defensive units completed a spirited goal-line drill and then rushed one another on the way to their traditional post-practice huddle and pretended to brawl.

A few players were screaming, "Fight, fight, fight."

Just about everyone was smiling, including Ward, who a day earlier had taken his case directly to the defense as well as the media after watching Reid absorb hits Ward considered late, dangerous and excessive, particularly in a non-scrimmage situation.

"Let us know if it's going to be full pads," Ward said. "But if it ain't? On one play Willie was slowing down and somebody hit him."

Clark apologized for that one -- "I know when I'm wrong" -- and appreciated Ward's perspective.

"We know when it comes down to being tough, none of us can out-tough Hines," Clark said. "He's the toughest guy, probably, in the NFL, especially at his position. So when he says something and he comes over defending his squad, you respect it.

"It's not like it's a soft guy saying it. It's Hines Ward. He came over defending his team, and we're going to defend ours, but in the end we're all Pittsburgh Steelers and we walk off the field."

"You know sometimes it gets heated between the two sides. It's all love, but in the end you're gonna ride with your room. Our room is defense, and theirs is offense. It might have gotten out of hand a little bit."

A factor in the hitting might have been the trash-talk Reid engages in with Carter and some of the other safeties.

"We just go at each other, back and forth, locker room stuff," Reid said. "We took it out on the field, but it's nothing personal."

Normally, it isn't.

Saturday, it was.

"I'll tell you the truth. Willie Reid is probably the hardest-working wide receiver we have," Clark said. "He catches the ball and runs to the end zone every time. I think sometimes that brings out the competitiveness in you. You get a guy, no matter how many times we tag him (down), he runs all the way into the end zone and the fans scream.

"I got tired of hearing it."

Ward tired of seeing the defense's response long before Tomlin, who never intervened.

"I know at times tempers are going to flare," Tomlin said. "Part of us building this football team is understanding and controlling our emotions, because they're going to flare in the fall.

"It's also showing your ability to take some blows and catch balls and bounce up. Willie Reid has proven to us that he doesn't have any fear. He's distinguishing himself because of some of the things that have happened. But we have to leave it on the grass. It can't get out of hand.

"It's a fine line, I know. We're attempting to walk it."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_519645.html
Old 07-30-2007, 04:00 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,309 Times in 1,407 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Steelers work past hard feelings

Sounds like reid is taking some big hits I just hope we can get to the first game in one piece.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:30 AM   #3
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
... Clark apologized for that one -- "I know when I'm wrong" -- and appreciated Ward's perspective.

"We know when it comes down to being tough, none of us can out-tough Hines," Clark said. "He's the toughest guy, probably, in the NFL, especially at his position. So when he says something and he comes over defending his squad, you respect it.

"It's not like it's a soft guy saying it. It's Hines Ward. He came over defending his team, and we're going to defend ours, but in the end we're all Pittsburgh Steelers and we walk off the field ..."

"... I'll tell you the truth. Willie Reid is probably the hardest-working wide receiver we have," Clark said. "He catches the ball and runs to the end zone every time. I think sometimes that brings out the competitiveness in you. You get a guy, no matter how many times we tag him (down), he runs all the way into the end zone and the fans scream.

"I got tired of hearing it ..."
Ha ha ha. I just love our guys. God bless them.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

Glad to hear the teams back on the same page.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

I don't really care if they're best buddies, as that isn't necessary for a winning team. I'm glad that Tomlin is letting them go at it - if they're going at each other like this, it should be interesting to see how they'll react when there is an opponent across the line.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:16 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I don't really care if they're best buddies, as that isn't necessary for a winning team. I'm glad that Tomlin is letting them go at it - if they're going at each other like this, it should be interesting to see how they'll react when there is an opponent across the line.
Your right...

However, I love the fact that our guys have the respect for one another as well... In Decemeber, when they are in pain, tired, cold, etc.. and behind by 10 points... It is the respect for their teammates that will make them put out that last bit of effort.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

So I take it Reid is healthy and 100 % again? If so, then that's good news.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFanInCA View Post
So I take it Reid is healthy and 100 % again? If so, then that's good news.
Supposedly that is true!!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:29 PM   #9
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,934 Times in 1,838 Posts

Good after last year somebody had to lite a fire under these guys.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:42 PM   #10
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
Sounds like reid is taking some big hits I just hope we can get to the first game in one piece.
As long as no one steps on his foot, he'll be fine (LOL)!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote