Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-21-2005, 10:19 PM   #1
SteelProven
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 394
Default Ben's Conference Call

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/...=12957&pcid=85

To the right you can also listen to it.

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger addresses the New England media during his conference call.

Q: Like last year, it looks like these are the two teams everyone will be watching all season. Is there a lot of pressure on both clubs to play their best when they meet each other?

BR: Yes, absolutely. Like you said, this is a lot like last year just a little bit earlier in the season. That always makes it interesting. I think it will be a great game for everybody.

Q: You lost [Plaxico] Burress but you gained [Willie] Parker even though you had him there last year. Parker has become a nice asset for you.

BR: Willie has been playing great. He adds a different dimension to what people are used to seeing when they think Steelers football. They think hard, grind-it-out football getting one or two yards at a time. Not that we have really changed that, but Willie kind of adds that dimension that he can bounce it outside and get you 10, 15 or 20 yards on any given run.

Q: I saw some film of you last week. It seems to me that you are in a comfort zone in what you are doing. You have a near perfect quarterback rating through two weeks.

BR: A lot of that goes to the offensive line. They have done a great job of opening holes in the running game, which makes it easier in the passing game. They have done a phenomenal job of ... they credited a guy with a sack last week but it wasn't really a sack. They have done a great job of not giving up any sacks. I think it starts with them. Then you have the confidence in the receivers that if I can put it up to them they are going to make plays. All of that translates into me having a good quarterback rating, but really it is a credit to those guys.

Q: You didn't throw the ball all that much in the first game. How many times did you throw it? 11 times?

BR: I threw 11 passes because we were winning so early.

Q: What about going in against this Patriots defense? They have had a little problem with the run, yet they always come up big in big games certainly after a loss, which they haven't had many of. What do you see against them?

BR: It's hard to play against the Patriots defense because you don't know what you are going to get. It seems like every play they throw a different defense at you. You are not sure what you are going to get. They have such great talent both up front and in the secondary. They throw something new at you and they believe in what they do. I think that is what makes them so tough. Not only trying to identify who's a linebacker, who's a lineman, where's Rodney [Harrison] at? All that stuff makes it tough to play a team like the Patriots because they do so much stuff.

Q: You did very well in the regular season against them and didn't seem very confused. Were they more adaptive to their changes in the playoff game?

BR: What makes them so tough is that you never see the same thing twice. What you see in one game you are not going to get the next game. It is tough to game plan against a team that throws so many different things at you. Last year in the regular season it was almost like they threw so many things at us, we were just trying to make plays every given time.

Q: The turnovers in the playoff game were the difference.

BR: Absolutely. That will kill you every time.

Q: How has your life changed? Obviously, you are a national figure now and everyone talks about the great young quarterbacks ... Tom Brady, you and several others. How has it changed your preparation and time?

BR: It definitely has changed considering going from not thinking I'm going to play, to all of a sudden getting thrown in last year to being a starter in the NFL at quarterback. It is just crazy. You lose your privacy. Everyone is watching every single move you make. My situation is nothing compared to Tom's but he can tell you that you are living under a microscope.

Q: At the same time you are winning.

BR: You just have to stay focused and remember that none of it is possible without football ... without actually going out there and playing. You don't get all the off-the-field stuff if you don't go out and play football. When it is time to play, you just focus in on playing.

Q: The team is chasing a record and perhaps you can catch the Patriots record for consecutive wins.

BR: We don't think about that. We take it one game at a time. Every week we have a one-game season. This week we are 0-0 and going against New England.

Q: These games are so close. A turnover, interception is going to make a big difference isn't it?

BR: Absolutely. When you are playing a team like New England you can't afford to make one mistake whether that is a turnover or any other mistake. It will kill you. It is because they are so good and they capitalize on all those mistakes. That is why when you play these teams, you have to play mistake-free football.

Q: Can you talk about your relationship with Mark Whipple?

BR: Coach Whip and I have a good relationship. We are able to talk on the field during practice. I think we have a mutual respect between each other. He knows what I am going to do. He has confidence in me. When I may not be playing well, he knows that I can get it done. I like that my coach has that confidence in me.

Q: It is good to have somebody to fall back on. Brady talks about Charlie Weis and their relationship in a game situation, as well as in preparation. How important is it to have the kind of support system with one guy especially.

BR: It is great to have Coach Whip to talk to. Coach Whisenhunt and I have a relationship where we can talk too. If there is something that I don't feel comfortable with, I'm going to go to him and tell him I don't feel as comfortable with this. He is coming to me. I think that is a credit to him that he wants to come talk to me and wants to know what his quarterback is comfortable with.

Q: Are you a quarterback that is ready-made for Pittsburgh Steelers type of football?

BR: I would like to think so. I would like to think that I could adapt to any style. I definitely believe I fit the city with the hard-nosed, toughness.

Q: Can you talk about Antwaan Randle El? Has he replaced Plaxico Burress as the big-play receiver in your offense?

BR: Antwaan has done a great job this year of making big plays. When I have thrown it up to him, he has gone up and made things happen. That is just what Antwaan brings to the table. He is a guy that has good speed, good quickness, good agility and great ball skills. It is great as a quarterback to have a receiver like that to throw to.

Q: When you stand under center now, is there a far clearer picture of what you are trying to do and what they are trying to do against you compared to last year?

BR: There is a comfort level. I think I feel much more comfortable back there. I don't feel as confused with what is going on. I think I understand a little bit more of our offense and defenses a little bit. It does feel better to me when I'm back there when I know what is going on.

Q: How much of Willie Parker's success is related to the system or is it him using his talents despite his limited experience?

BR: Willie is extremely talented. He is very fast, very quick, agile, but can still be a hard-nosed runner. He has done a great job. I think he will be the first to tell you, as I will, that the offensive line has done a phenomenal job of opening holes and really making things happen for our run game.

Q: How important was it for him to have that big game at the end of the year against Buffalo? Was that big for him going into the offseason?

BR: I don't know. You would have to ask him that. I think it was great that he got in there and got that experience. Everyone around here has all the confidence in the world in Willie and we always have. It is just those outside people that have never heard of Willie that question where he came from.
SteelProven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:56 PM   #2
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Default Re: Ben's Conference Call

Nice post Steel. Good interview there.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 01:36 AM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
Q: These games are so close. A turnover, interception is going to make a big difference isn't it?

BR: Absolutely. When you are playing a team like New England you can't afford to make one mistake whether that is a turnover or any other mistake. It will kill you. It is because they are so good and they capitalize on all those mistakes. That is why when you play these teams, you have to play mistake-free football.
Yep, one wrong move and the Pats can capitalize on it so we gotta keep playing smart !!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:13 AM   #4
Black-n-Gold
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 602

Turnovers are what makes NE so hard to beat. Their defense always produces turnovers, which usually end up in points.