Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-27-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572
Default PIRATES ALWAYS GONNA BE A LOSER!

.....I remember one of the last phone calls I had w/ my grandfather who lived in Brentwood, PA...it was 1979 after we took the World Series from the Baltimore even being down 3-1.......right after the Stargell HR....

My grandfather said "never give up"... but I really am sooooo tired of the Pirates BS crap season after season......they have some good players , but you have to have some offense..and the FO has made no effort to improve that... I'm sick of it.....

The Pirates are always gonna be a loser..... it makes me sad!
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: PIRATES ALWAYS GONNA BE A LOSER!

MLB needs to perform eminent domain on the Nuttings forcing them to sell to an owner who can get the team in the right direction and push a salary cap into the league. Unfortunately as long as the Steinbrenners of the league are here, we're stuck to stuffer.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:26 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
PIRATES ALWAYS GONNA BE A LOSER!

Unless Nutting sells, I agree. Keep giving him money and he has absolutely no reason to sell. Simple as that in my opinion.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

That's the guy's business personality. He can either make a small amount of money safely, or he can take a risk and either win big (make the playoffs) or lose big (no guarantee that a big payroll will perform).

I'd love to crunch the economics of it and see where the break-even point would be; what kind of team would we need to have to have a chance at playing in the World Series, how much would it realistically cost, and what would the return be, again realistically? I'm sure he did it and made his decision.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
That's the guy's business personality. He can either make a small amount of money safely, or he can take a risk and either win big (make the playoffs) or lose big (no guarantee that a big payroll will perform).

I'd love to crunch the economics of it and see where the break-even point would be; what kind of team would we need to have to have a chance at playing in the World Series, how much would it realistically cost, and what would the return be, again realistically? I'm sure he did it and made his decision.

Tom
I think a lot of the teams that are in the 80-90 million payroll area have been making the playoffs more.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Teams like the Twins and As havn't had the high of pay roll in the past few years and they still made the play-offs.........Its about scouting and drafting right....If you avoid the best players in the draft year and year out since they might be tough to sign or want to much money and settle for less players since they're easier to sign then you will have 15 straight years of crap...lol

Just looking back and the Pirates could have had players like Prince Fielder.....lol....He would look nice in a Pirates uniform right now.......
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Payroll isn't the issue with the Pirates. The Front Office just stinks.

The Brewers and Tigers built up their teams to contend, and as preiously mentioned, The Twins and Athletics compete despite low payrolls. The best Pirates ever do is shell out dough for over the hill veterans, run a terrible farm system, and waste draft picks on pitchers who turn out to be busts.

I bet you Moskos doesn't even make the effing team. We pass up a talent like Weiters for another pitcher. It's just as laughable as the Chris Shelton debacle.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #8
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Payroll isn't the issue with the Pirates. The Front Office just stinks.

The Brewers and Tigers built up their teams to contend, and as preiously mentioned, The Twins and Athletics compete despite low payrolls. The best Pirates ever do is shell out dough for over the hill veterans, run a terrible farm system, and waste draft picks on pitchers who turn out to be busts.

I bet you Moskos doesn't even make the effing team. We pass up a talent like Weiters for another pitcher. It's just as laughable as the Chris Shelton debacle.
Terrible farm system? They happen to have a team that hasn't missed the playoffs in 4 years possibly going on 5 in AA. They happen to be the Altoona Curve. No other team in there league has ever accomplished this except maybe Akron.