Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 03:53 PM   #41
rbryan
Team President
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Maui by way of New Brighton PA
Posts: 2,030
Member Number: 5196
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Comcast vs DirectTV vs. Dishnetwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Sunday Ticket is about $300 when you add in.the HDTV package Figure around $25 in food & drink at the sports bar for each of the 10 Steelers games not on ESPN or the national game, add in the excitement of potentially getting pulled over on the drive home (in the mid-90s the cops actually hung out in the parking lot of the sports bar I visited to watch the Steelers on the lookout for wobbly drivers) and IMO buying DirecTV to get an unobstructed view of the Steelers each week on my HDTV wins out.
You're a better man than me. My tab is closer to $250 than $25. (It's my wifes fault, she drinks more than me. lol) NFL ticket was a no brainer. Not to mention the fact that theres nothing worse than having to roll out of bed after a rough Saturday night and make it to a sports bar early enough to get a seat.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #42
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter
 
MACH1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Potataho
Posts: 14,068
Member Number: 3236
Thanks: 1,585
Thanked 4,741 Times in 1,784 Posts
Default Re: Comcast vs DirectTV vs. Dishnetwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
You're a better man than me. My tab is closer to $250 than $25. (It's my wifes fault, she drinks more than me. lol) NFL ticket was a no brainer. Not to mention the fact that theres nothing worse than having to roll out of bed after a rough Saturday night and make it to a sports bar early enough to get a seat.
I have Sunday ticket and had to pay $249 with Superfan.
__________________


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #43
Hammer67
Head Coach
Supporter
 
Hammer67's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Boston, MI (originally from Moon Township, PA)
Posts: 1,988
Gender: Male
Member Number: 651
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Comcast vs DirectTV vs. Dishnetwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
I have Sunday ticket and had to pay $249 with Superfan.
If you know how to bargain, you can work some sweet deals with DirecTV...I haven't paid for Superfan yet.
__________________


"Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill

Hammer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:33 PM   #44
Hammer67
Head Coach
Supporter
 
Hammer67's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Boston, MI (originally from Moon Township, PA)
Posts: 1,988
Gender: Male
Member Number: 651
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Comcast vs DirectTV vs. Dishnetwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
It isn't that simple. The dish companies don't have to deal with local franchise fee's and infrastructure, to mention a couple. They also make very little money on their local spots. In Cleveland they average about $12 a spot on the bulk of their spot advertising.

Trust me, I worked for the cable company, and they have a LOT of overhead that dish companies don't have to deal with. The dish companies also have a loss leader mentality. They are willing to lose money on a subscriber for a year just to get them hooked then crank the bill and make their money back later.

It's a complicated issue, but the important thing is that these companies are all trying to balance profit with customer service. There's a definite reason that TWC is fighting the fight they are.
Cable companies also get an advantage in the form of small market monopolies. This may change if the right legislation gets passed...

In my township, Charter negotiated exclusive carrier rights so they have no competition from other cable companies...that's a huge revenue advantage that is not shared by the Satellite companies...

I can't even opt for Comcast...
__________________


"Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill

Hammer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:45 PM   #45
revefsreleets
Living Legend
 
revefsreleets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Akron, Ohio Home of LeBron James
Posts: 15,403
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5353
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Comcast vs DirectTV vs. Dishnetwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer67 View Post
Cable companies also get an advantage in the form of small market monopolies. This may change if the right legislation gets passed...

In my township, Charter negotiated exclusive carrier rights so they have no competition from other cable companies...that's a huge revenue advantage that is not shared by the Satellite companies...

I can't even opt for Comcast...
Again, what's perceived as a monopoly is anything but. Yes, only one cable company can work in any one area (and the area may be as small as a town or as big as 1/3rd of a state), but that just means that they are the cable company who has to maintain all the infrastructure and compete against the two different dish competitors. Trust me, if multiple cable companies are allowed to compete in the same DMA's, it will be a huge disaster. There is plenty of healthy competition, which reinforces my point. If only one cable company is up against a couple dish companies, why would they fight so hard to charge for networks that the dish companies were giving away unless they had to?
__________________
Official Steelersfever Arians Nuthugger
revefsreleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:21 PM   #46
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,332
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 1,978
Thanked 6,280 Times in 2,880 Posts
Default Re: Comcast vs DirectTV vs. Dishnetwork

NFL SUNDAY TICKET RENEWAL GLITCH

For anyone else who is a NFL Sunday Ticket subscriber and has received bills for July and August that do not include auto-renewal Sunday Ticket charges for the coming year, i was informed this evening that DirecTV has a software glitch by which a number of Sunday Ticket customers including myself are recorded as having "disconected" Sunday Ticket and are not currently signed up for the coming year.

If you also have been "disconnected" and are then told it is "too late" to renew at the auto-renewal rate, cheerfully tell the rep to get a supervisor on the line. After proceeding to that point, I got the auto-renewal rate and, in accordance with my prior experiences and those of Hammer67 with DirecTV, got a further discount off my bill for my trouble.

If it was not for Sunday Ticket I would take my chances with Comcast. Between the hassles with getting the "free installation" of my HDTV dish last fall ( a three weekend saga that resulted in major credits to my bill) and this billing snafu IMO the customer service at DirecTV has deteriorated significantly.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:04 PM   #47
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter
 
MACH1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Potataho
Posts: 14,068
Member Number: 3236
Thanks: 1,585
Thanked 4,741 Times in 1,784 Posts
Default Re: Comcast vs DirectTV vs. Dishnetwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
NFL SUNDAY TICKET RENEWAL GLITCH

For anyone else who is a NFL Sunday Ticket subscriber and has received bills for July and August that do not include auto-renewal Sunday Ticket charges for the coming year, i was informed this evening that DirecTV has a software glitch by which a number of Sunday Ticket customers including myself are recorded as having "disconected" Sunday Ticket and are not currently signed up for the coming year.

If you also have been "disconnected" and are then told it is "too late" to renew at the auto-renewal rate, cheerfully tell the rep to get a supervisor on the line. After proceeding to that point, I got the auto-renewal rate and, in accordance with my prior experiences and those of Hammer67 with DirecTV, got a further discount off my bill for my trouble.

If it was not for Sunday Ticket I would take my chances with Comcast. Between the hassles with getting the "free installation" of my HDTV dish last fall ( a three weekend saga that resulted in major credits to my bill) and this billing snafu IMO the customer service at DirecTV has deteriorated significantly.
Yep and the auto renewal is $20. cheaper than the early bird offer.
__________________


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:36 AM   #48
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Comcast vs DirectTV vs. Dishnetwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
NFL SUNDAY TICKET RENEWAL GLITCH

For anyone else who is a NFL Sunday Ticket subscriber and has received bills for July and August that do not include auto-renewal Sunday Ticket charges for the coming year, i was informed this evening that DirecTV has a software glitch by which a number of Sunday Ticket customers including myself are recorded as having "disconected" Sunday Ticket and are not currently signed up for the coming year.

If you also have been "disconnected" and are then told it is "too late" to renew at the auto-renewal rate, cheerfully tell the rep to get a supervisor on the line. After proceeding to that point, I got the auto-renewal rate and, in accordance with my prior experiences and those of Hammer67 with DirecTV, got a further discount off my bill for my trouble.

If it was not for Sunday Ticket I would take my chances with Comcast. Between the hassles with getting the "free installation" of my HDTV dish last fall ( a three weekend saga that resulted in major credits to my bill) and this billing snafu IMO the customer service at DirecTV has deteriorated significantly.
Ahhh...

So that is it! Same thing happened to me, but we moved and upgraded to the new HDTV receiver from the old one, so I thought that is what affected it!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:27 AM   #49
Hammer67
Head Coach
Supporter
 
Hammer67's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Boston, MI (originally from Moon Township, PA)
Posts: 1,988
Gender: Male
Member Number: 651
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Comcast vs DirectTV vs. Dishnetwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Again, what's perceived as a monopoly is anything but. Yes, only one cable company can work in any one area (and the area may be as small as a town or as big as 1/3rd of a state), but that just means that they are the cable company who has to maintain all the infrastructure and compete against the two different dish competitors. Trust me, if multiple cable companies are allowed to compete in the same DMA's, it will be a huge disaster. There is plenty of healthy competition, which reinforces my point. If only one cable company is up against a couple dish companies, why would they fight so hard to charge for networks that the dish companies were giving away unless they had to?
Perceived advantage?? Maybe. But I know that in some burbs of Detroit, you have a choice of carrier (Comcast and Charter). There is no mention of it being a disaster by any means. And, if it the burden of having sole rights to an area is the infrastructure support, why would they petition and lobby politicians to do just that? You would think that would be an advantage to break the cable monopoly? It worked for the local phone companies.

I have no pity for any of these companies as they, along with the computer industry, have the worst support infrastructure I have ever seen. Competition can only improve that.

While we are on topic...here is a grass roots project to lobby for cable choice.

http://www.consumers4choice.org

I know they are making headway with the senate in Michigan...

And, for the record, I have not had my bill go up with DirecTV since I have been with them. It happened quite frequently and without warning for both Charter and Comcast.
__________________


"Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill

Hammer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:10 PM   #50
revefsreleets
Living Legend
 
revefsreleets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Akron, Ohio Home of LeBron James
Posts: 15,403
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5353
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Comcast vs DirectTV vs. Dishnetwork

I'm not sure I'm getting my point across. How is it a monopoly if you can get the same exact service through at least 2 different competitors, and in many places more (the phone companies are getting in on the action now, too)? Dish companies have an advantage in that they toss up a couple satellites and they are in business for years. If something goes wrong with your cable, it's fixed for free, but if your dish breaks, you're looking at $60 an hour to get it fixed. They can also much more easily absorb the extortion from networks like ESPN who charge almost $4.00 a month per subscriber, because their margins aren't as thin, and they also don't have nearly as many subs as the Dish companies. People just assume that the cable companies raise rates out of greed, when in fact they are just passing on rate increases.

The problem with competition between cable companies is that one will quickly price the other out of the market, since they run on razor thin margins to begin with. Whichever company can absorb the short term losses better will end up pricing the other out of the market, and it's back to the drawing board.

Look, I don't have much sympathy for these companies either, but it's an apples and oranges scenario.
__________________
Official Steelersfever Arians Nuthugger
revefsreleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts