Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-03-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
Welcome To Smashmouth
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6038
Default Surprised by some of the "elected starters"

Mike Tomlin obviously knows his DBs, as hes had some valuable experience as a secondary coordinator. Knowing this, I can only hope that he sees the potential in two future start players in our secondary, that at the moment aren't listed as starters. Townsend and Clark are pretty solid players, no doubt about it. But McFadden has PROVEN it is his time, and I believe the same goes for Smith. Both are not only instinctive players, but they can jar a ball loose on a ferocious hit better than 80% of DBs out there. Granted, its not all about hard hits, but when you add that kind of power in the backfield, ON TOP of the hard-hitting linebackers, something tells me the message sent to the opposing team is exactly what the burgh is looking for!

Thankfully its still ealry, and these roster spots are far from solid, we've still got all of preseason and the tail end of training camp to go, so my boys still have the time to prove themselves. Just shocked me to go over to the offfical site and see that Clark and Townsend are still calling themselves the starters. May the right decision be made by week 1!!!
Welcome To Smashmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106
Default Re: Surprised by some of the "elected starters"

You're right about how "un-solid" these roster spots are right now.

I don't think you should worry. It won't be long until both of those guys are starting.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Two things.

1. I have found that www.steelers.com is usually quite far behind in everything they do.

2. Your right, it isn't all about hitting. I too think that Clark and Townsend are better as 2nd stringers. But I guess Tomlin sees different. It may be the fact that they pick up on the other responsibilities that aren't seen better then McFadden and Smith.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

I think in the case of Anthony Smith it's just a matter of making sure that he can cover the expanded resposibility of playing next to Troy. I think Smith has a great future, and no doubt is a bigger hitter than Ryan Clark now , but those big its won't mean much if we are giving up td passes. Smith will eventually be the starter, But there is no reason to put him in there until he is ready because Clark can do the job.

As for Townsend, I do think McFadden was better by then end of last year. However, I guess Townsend is just a tough guy to get out of the starting line-up.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558

I agree that BMac should get the nod over Townsy, but Ryan Clark is still the starter, and Smith is going to have to take the job from Clark. I laugh when people say Clark didnt play well. Those people obviously have no clue what they are talking about. Clark played very well for his first year in a new system. Smith played well too, so both are solid options. Like I said though, Smith is going to have to step up and take the job.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

my guess that those guys will rotate starting the first couple preseason games if you guys are talking about starters for this sunday.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #7
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

anthony smith has a problem with staying in coverage, a lot of big plays happened because there would be a WR wide open where he was supposed to be. basically i think he is too aggressive at this stage, which is good for a young guy but he isnt ready to start, i think he could be a not as good troy polamalu in a couple of seasons.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #8
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i think that townsend is just getting too old... and i think that who ever between clark and smith the loser out of them will still see a lot of playing time in the def packages that we have.. same with carter.

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #9
Welcome To Smashmouth
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6038

Yeah, at this point theres no for sure starter in each of the two positions (FS and CB) and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Clark is a bad player. Last year finishing with 70 tackles an INT and 3 FR is pretty solid. But then again, if you've got a Sean Taylor-in-the-making behind him in Smith, we've gotta turn him into the player hes going to become and get him on the field sooner rather than later. I feel somethin special in that kid.

And in terms of McFadden, its arguable that hes our best corner period. The way I look at our corner situation is that we've got three #2 corners. Townsend is going to be a solid nickel back for a couple more years, meaning we can only hope Ike picks it back up from falling a little last season. If anybody here wants to argue about McFadden's capabilities, I'd be glad to hear it...the kids going to be rock-solid
Welcome To Smashmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:48 AM   #10
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,103 Posts

I think smith will be played more as the season progresses.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote