Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Training Camp

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 08-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default Camp Tomlin - Hampton, Ward Assuming Leadership Roles

Nice article, especially the part about Hines and Marvel and others "coaching" the rookies because of the example Jerome set for them. Contrast this with the sturm und drang of certain other teams' camps right now....makes me proud, as always, to be a Steeler fan!
Camp Tomlin
By Jim Wexell , For the Herald-Standard

Hampton, Ward assuming leadership roles

LATROBE - Steeler, Steeler on the wall, who's the leader of them all?

Casey Hampton won the defensive honors by unanimous decree of one Brett Keisel. No one argued.

But the offensive leader isn't so easy to figure out.

"We have a couple leaders between Hines and Alan," said wide receiver Nate Washington. "Ben's become way more vocal, but for the most part it's Hines. If anybody's down on that offense, he gives him a bump. He's one of those type of guys who doesn't expect anything less than greatness from us. That's what we're looking for on our side of the ball. It probably definitely would be Hines."

So mark down one "probably definitely" for Hines Ward, who chewed out the defensive backs last Saturday for taking potshots at his fellow receivers.

Washington said that Alan Faneca "is not going to step down as a person" even though he's embittered by a contract dispute.

As for Ben Roethlisberger, Washington sees a new quarterback, one who can help him when he forgets his assignment.

"Just the other day we ran two-min, and I kinda was lost on what I had," Washington said. "Normally, I'd look at Ben and he'd look back at me with a blank look. Now I look at Ben and he can tell me what I have. He's definitely a guy who took pride this offseason in getting better and that's what he's done."

Bruce Arians, the offensive coordinator who allowed Roethlisberger input into the new playbook, agrees. He says it's not forced.

"It comes natural," Arians said. "When you don't have to think about what you're doing any more, when you can play the game because you know the game, well then you can be the leader.

"Leaders don't necessarily have to be vocal. Danny Kreider's a leader. He's a silent assassin. It comes in all different forms. Guys who rah-rah and jump around sometimes are straight (bologna) artists. When you look at what they're doing, they're talking. They ain't playing. Never fall in the trap of thinking the vocal guy's a leader."

Arians said the leadership skills Roethlisberger's developing are subtle.

"Getting in the huddle and saying, 'All right, look dude, expect this, we're going for this, let's go.' You say, damn, he's like five steps ahead. Used to be just 'Call the play and do my job.' Just those kind of silent little sentences show where a guy's growing."

When initially approached and asked about the team's offensive leader, Arians said, "Oh, yeah, Hines. Well, we've got a bunch. Alan in the line, Hines, Ben is becoming it. Willie (Parker) has jumped out there and is vocal now."

Any examples of strong leadership moments?

"If you watch the wide receivers, watch Hines coach them," Arians said. "He's coaching the rookies - who have no chance of making this football team - like they're his best players. You'll see the same thing on the offensive line with Marvel (Smith), Alan, all those guys. They coach each other. That's leadership, you know, when you're coaching a guy who might take your job. And the guy who set that standard was Jerome (Bettis). He got up and told the guys, 'These rookies are ours. Yes, they might take your job, but it's our job to get them ready.' It's kind of a tradition here."
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Camp Tomlin - Hampton, Ward Assuming Leadership Roles

Quote:
"Just the other day we ran two-min, and I kinda was lost on what I had," Washington said. "Normally, I'd look at Ben and he'd look back at me with a blank look. Now I look at Ben and he can tell me what I have. He's definitely a guy who took pride this offseason in getting better and that's what he's done."

Bruce Arians, the offensive coordinator who allowed Roethlisberger input into the new playbook, agrees. He says it's not forced.

"It comes natural," Arians said. "When you don't have to think about what you're doing any more, when you can play the game because you know the game, well then you can be the leader.
OH OH!!!

This spells trouble for DB's!!

Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

I would like to hear Ben as the only leader of the PITTSBURGH STEELERS .... QB is such a leadership position it should just come natural...I know my HS QB was our leader, and its great to know Ben knows the playbook so much better this year....Didn't the great HOF QB'S know it that well too????????????
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

I like what I'm hearing about Hampton stepping up and being a vocal leader. We need someone to peplace the vocal aspect of Joey on D.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,965 Times in 3,515 Posts

Sounds like Ben tries to yell as "the leader" and the players roll their eyes

Ben needs to rebuild his own rep before he can try to lead anyone.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote