Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-05-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Woodson not sold (yet) on offense

Woodson not sold yet on Steelers' new offense
Sunday, August 05, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Two years from now, Rod Woodson likely will return to Canton, Ohio, scene of the game tonight between the Steelers and New Orleans Saints.

He has the credentials to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility in 2009 and become the first post-dynasty Steelers player to do so.

For now, Woodson works for the NFL Network, which will carry the game tonight nationally (KDKA has the local broadcast). He also is spreading the word as national spokesman for USA Football, which kicks off its promotions to "Play Football" on the broadcast tonight.

Although Woodson will not be in Canton tonight, he has some opinions about his former team. Most of those concern Ben Roethlisberger and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians' promise to put more on the quarterback's shoulders and perhaps throw the ball more often than in the past.

"Ben has to prove he can handle it," Woodson said. "They won a Super Bowl with Ben throwing 21 times a game. It sounds as though their philosophy is getting away from that. It's tough for teams to win and be consistent when they're throwing ball all time."

Arians has said he would like to use three and four wide receivers at times on first and second downs with Willie Parker the lone back. He also has empowered Roethlisberger to audible and to call plays in the no-huddle he plans to use more often.

"One question I had is Arians going to four wides and letting Ben make the checks," Woodson said. "I don't know where Bruce is going with it."

Having said his piece on the Steelers, Woodson spread the word on his new passion, promoting the game of football. As spokesman for USA Football, a non-profit group chaired by Jack Kemp and promotes the development of youth, high school and international amateur football. USA Football conducts coaching schools and officiating clinics nationally.

"Everyone says baseball is America's pastime; I think it's football," said Woodson, who moved his family from his longtime home in the Pittsburgh area to Oakland, Calif., to be closer to his job. "I have two kids playing youth football and being able to help other parents and coaches alike to understand the game more and the kids to enjoy the game more is nothing but positive for the NFL in the future."

USA Football, endowed by the NFL and its players association, is offering equipment grants of $500,000 to youth leagues and high school teams. The grant application can be found at USAFootball.com. Applications will be accepted through Sept. 30. Free youth football team Web sites also are available through USAFootball.com.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07217/807134-66.stm
Old 08-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Woodson not sold (yet) on offense

Quote:
"One question I had is Arians going to four wides and letting Ben make the checks," Woodson said. "I don't know where Bruce is going with it."
What does this mean...is it even a question?

Woodson sounds like he doesn't understand that 90% of teams wouldn't rather just throw the ball 20 times (that normally means you have won) - there are less turnovers and you control the clock.

Unfortunately there are quite a few teams out there adept at stopping one dimensional offenses - with the shift away from putting so much of the salary cap in the O-line the Steelers aren't going to be able to dare decent teams to stop them running and be successful.

A balance is what is required - the transition may be painful at times and I do have my doubts about the talent level in the WR corps but doing anything else isn't really an option.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post

Woodson sounds like he doesn't understand that 90% of teams wouldn't rather just throw the ball 20 times (that normally means you have won) - there are less turnovers and you control the clock.

Unfortunately there are quite a few teams out there adept at stopping one dimensional offenses - with the shift away from putting so much of the salary cap in the O-line the Steelers aren't going to be able to dare decent teams to stop them running and be successful.

A balance is what is required - the transition may be painful at times and I do have my doubts about the talent level in the WR corps but doing anything else isn't really an option.
Nice post Nigel....I agree with what you said in that whole post........Hey Rod is my all time favorite Steeler...But it seems Cowher brained washed him....lol In todays NFL you need balance on offense....Its hard to just pound the rock down the throat of teams every week and win a Super Bowl...

I don't want the Steelers to become the 99 Rams but just want a balanced offense.......
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
ajs8207
Starter

Member Number: 2795

Don't people realize that when Ben was playing well, he would be throwing 17 times in the first half, and then about 4 in the second? He can run this offense.
ajs8207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
Nice post Nigel....I agree with what you said in that whole post........Hey Rod is my all time favorite Steeler...But it seems Cowher brained washed him....lol In todays NFL you need balance on offense....Its hard to just pound the rock down the throat of teams every week and win a Super Bowl...

I don't want the Steelers to become the 99 Rams but just want a balanced offense.......
Thanks!

I look at the exciting things that Maroney should be able to do in the New England offense this year, and I can see Fast Willie doing the exact same stuff.

If they could convince teams that they are capable of regularly hitting big passing plays (and not just when they are forced to....3rd and long) then its going to push those safeties back and make Willies/Maroney's job alot easier.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I think that it is wrongly punctuated by the writer of the article.

Should be:

"One question I had; is Arians going to four wides and letting Ben make the checks?" Woodson said. "I don't know where Bruce is going with it."

I would agree with Woodson, that a rational analysis of the Steelers' setup at this point says that the defense is looking pretty good, and the offense has questions. Offense is so much more about meshing than defense is. On defense, everyone can get mixed up and Polamalu can charge in and save the day. But on offense, EVERYONE has to be on the ball and in sync on every play.

So, with the following questions: Will the O-line get back to '05 form? Will Roethlisberger be able to handle the new responsibilities? Will the young receivers be able to take some of the load of Hines Ward? Will the new playbook be more confusing at first and cost the team a game or two early? Will Tomlin have better field sense than Cowher did? I would think that his senses are right on.

Hey, I'm a fan. In MY opinion, we're going to blow away everyone. We're going to be like the Colts, only with a Steelers defense. But if I were getting paid to analyze the team, I would say what Woodson said.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Well, Rod was never known for his Offensive prowess... was he? We will soon find out how things are gonna go want we?... I hope that we impress him with another Tittle....
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote