Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
thebus36idf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6089
Default I feel good about this year!

I heard from a not so reliable source that the steelers may switch to a 4-3. I'm sure this would be a bad move. We must concentrate on the offense. Do you think that the hiring of tomlin was a product of Mr. Rooney orchrestration of the policy to get more Black NFL coaches. I found it odd that we hired a defensive oriented Head coach I think Dick Lebeau is the best in the business. If we were going to hire a defensive oriented head coach why not give him the Job. I think our defense slipped A LITTLE LAST YEAR BECAUSE THEY WERE ON THE FIELD LONGER. To many interceptions. Anyone at training camp see how Big Ben is doing?
thebus36idf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: I feel good about this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus36idf View Post
I heard from a not so reliable source that the steelers may switch to a 4-3. I'm sure this would be a bad move. We must concentrate on the offense. Do you think that the hiring of tomlin was a product of Mr. Rooney orchrestration of the policy to get more Black NFL coaches. I found it odd that we hired a defensive oriented Head coach I think Dick Lebeau is the best in the business. If we were going to hire a defensive oriented head coach why not give him the Job. I think our defense slipped A LITTLE LAST YEAR BECAUSE THEY WERE ON THE FIELD LONGER. To many interceptions. Anyone at training camp see how Big Ben is doing?
I don't believe the Steelers are going to "switch to a 4-3" - from what I saw and the buzz I've heard around town, Lebeau is going to incorporate both the 3-4 and 4-3 schemes into the D to keep the opponents guessing. We have the players to accomplish this, I believe.

No - I don't believe for a minute that the Rooneys hired the Tomlinator because of his skin color. They hired the BEST man available for the job and as we know from past HC hirings, the Rooneys have indeed chosen the "BEST" guy available at the time.

I don't believe at this point in his career (and because of his age), Dick Lebeau wanted to be the HC of the Steelers or any other team for that matter. He obviously loves doing what he does best, so why fix what isn't broken?

From what I personally saw of Ben at camp, he looked very poised, confident and was connecting with his targets most of the time. Sure there was a bad throw now and then and some dropped passes, but all in all, Ben looked ready to lead this offense.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

we needed a young guy, i think lebeau is retiring soon unless some random team offers him like a $10mil a year, he will be retired like cowher.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

I hope to see 4-3 on first down which is probably when the run comes. It would be good to see a 3-4 and 4-3 combination attack from the D. IF...it is successful.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus36idf View Post
First If I were you, I would read up on the history of the Steelers Coaches and see how many defensive mind head coaches we have hired in the past. I will not give ya the history lesson if you do not know the type of head coaches we have hired in the past.

Second: Bringing up that the Rooney's might of hired in Tomlin because of race is well ... Kinda of a stupid comment.. Tomlin brought the best interview and resume to the table. And if you read anything about Tomlin you will learn how smart this guy is.

Third: They never offered the job to Lebeau because he never approached the Rooney's about the job and in another couple years as some said will retire.

And hearing that Tomlin from a source is going to switch us right away to 4-3. Well anyone would say that because Tomlin is a 4-3 guy. What you will see for are main defense will be 3-4, then 3-4 with tampa 2 worked in, then you will see sometimes a 4-3. But if you would read and keep up you will know that the steelers will be working different defenses this season to confuse the offenses. But are main defense will be 3-4.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I feel good about Tomlin. This guy is ultra smart and if anybody can tweak the weaknesses and pull the very best out of a very talent group of football players, it's this guy. I don't know why I feel so strongly about him......I just do. It's a gut feeling and I always trust my gut, it's rarely failed me. Maybe I've drunk too much Mike Tomlin koolaid but I think he's exactly what this team needed to move forward into a new era and the Rooney's are masters at recognizing that. I think he's the key to pulling all the talent together.....both in the players and the coaching staff.

I also think that once the transition starts.....the rest of the league is really going to be shocked. We won't be flying under the radar for long. Yea....we'll have ups and downs........but I fully trust that Tomlin will be up for the challenge.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts

I think my IQ dropped 10 points reading the original post.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #8
FastWillieParker39
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4348

Well I don't like to sound like a downer but Ben looked like the 06 Ben last night. I was expecting the offense to throw a lot more but they ran a lot with the first team.

Anyway, I feel optimistic to make the playoffs this year. Two things plagued us last year........Ben with injuries, and distractions, and Cowher really not caring or having as much passion as he used to have. Now Ben will be healthy, and Tomlin is young and committed to get the Steelers back to the playoffs! WOOOOO
Old 08-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastWillieParker39 View Post
Well I don't like to sound like a downer but Ben looked like the 06 Ben last night.
You're willing to stick to that assertion despite the fact he only threw 2 passes, completing both? He fumbled because Smith got beat. Relax.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastWillieParker39 View Post
Well I don't like to sound like a downer but Ben looked like the 06 Ben last night. I was expecting the offense to throw a lot more but they ran a lot with the first team.

Anyway, I feel optimistic to make the playoffs this year. Two things plagued us last year........Ben with injuries, and distractions, and Cowher really not caring or having as much passion as he used to have. Now Ben will be healthy, and Tomlin is young and committed to get the Steelers back to the playoffs! WOOOOO
Ben has not looked like he did in 06. He went 2-2. What looked like 06 was Smith getting beat and Ben getting sacked because of that causing the fumble. What looked like 06 was Starks getting beat multiple times again causing more sacks.

Pre season you cannot think there just going to air it out to show everything. No this week you seen a more in depth look at the RBs. We have a big battle going on there to see who is going to be on this roster. Each pre season game Tomlin will be looking at certain areas. Its not about the win, its about properly evaluating the players to get the best 53 for start of season.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote