Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 08-06-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
yinzer-inseattle
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4779
Default Where's the Beef?

I know, I know.......it's only the first (preseason) game under the new regime), but for all of the talk of the new look offense, specifically the use of 2 & 3 TE sets. I didn't see anything in the O scheme, that looked like we were using the TE's any differently than in the past. As a matter of fact, the game stats look eerily familiar... zero catches for all of our TEs. I didn't even notice Miller, Tuman or Spaeth in a position to catch a football. Maybe their contribution is more evident in the few long sideline rushing plays we had (sealing off the edges).

This is not a complaint, I'm just interested in finding out if anyone else noticed this or did I just miss something big.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890
Default Re: Where's the Beef?

I get the impression the coaches used yesterdays game to evaluate the running backs. If I am not mistaken I once heard teams rarely want to display every new wrinkle they plan on implementing so teams dont have a chance to study them.
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer-inseattle View Post
I know, I know.......it's only the first (preseason) game under the new regime), but for all of the talk of the new look offense, specifically the use of 2 & 3 TE sets. I didn't see anything in the O scheme, that looked like we were using the TE's any differently than in the past. As a matter of fact, the game stats look eerily familiar... zero catches for all of our TEs. I didn't even notice Miller, Tuman or Spaeth in a position to catch a football. Maybe their contribution is more evident in the few long sideline rushing plays we had (sealing off the edges).

This is not a complaint, I'm just interested in finding out if anyone else noticed this or did I just miss something big.
Spaeth didn't play---he dressed but is nursing a shoulder. I wouldn't get too worried yet about not seeing the Miller & Tuman ---Nothing for Ward either----I'd be upset if all Arian's tricks were used in the first pre-season game.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
AvoidLLoyd95
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 768

Typically teams don't show what they really want to do too much in the preseason. Give it time.I am sure the good running holes had something to do with the tight ends last night. 4 more to go before we really see what they can do.

95 ways to get your ass kicked!
AvoidLLoyd95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,840 Posts

Its only preseason, we don't want to give all away yet.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
Steelerstrength
Starter

Member Number: 3283

On the first series with Batch, they went with the 3 TE set for a 17 yard completion to Wilson. (BTW, I call him Charlie, last name Wilson, instead of Cedric)
Old 08-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedap View Post
If I am not mistaken I once heard teams rarely want to display every new wrinkle they plan on implementing so teams dont have a chance to study them.
Absolutely. It is never a good (or a smart) idea to lay all of your cards on the table at once, especially not with the birth of a brand new offense that the O is still adjusting to (and from what I saw last night - very well). Keep 'em guessing.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
yinzer-inseattle
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4779

Maybe I got all revved up for what I though would be a scheme shift and not just a wrinkle or gimmickery. I agree with everyone that you don't want to put all of you cards out there for folks to see in preseason. On the other hand, I've heard for 2 decades now how the Steelers were going to use the TE more in the passing game, and I thought it might see some evidence of that out of the gate this year.

I think we've got a great talent in Miller and working him into the passing game should be more strategic than a "wrinkle". I think we could and should use him as much as SD uses A. Gates Call me crazy, but I just see the TE position as having a tremendous upside in our O.

I'm not usually this impatient. I just feel like I've been waiting to see this for a looooong time.
yinzer-inseattle is offline   Reply With Quote