Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,786 Posts
Default Post Game with Tomlin

Quote:
Mike Tomlin
By SteelCityInsider.com

Mike Tomlin became the first Steelers coach in 50 years to win his preseason debut. Buddy Parker coached the Steelers to a win over the Philadelphia Eagles on the Sunday after he replaced Walt Kiesling as head coach in the middle of the 1957 preseason. Here's Mike:

Mike Tomlin, head coach, Pittsburgh Steelers
We had a good first step tonight. I thought we did some things well, particularly third-down defense there early on. When we had our first unit in, we got off the field. Need to do that. Got some big plays, some chunks. I would like to see us run the ball a little bit more efficiently with our first offense. The stat total wasn?t indicative of how we ran the ball. Our young guys got some big chunks. We got some things going in that area but we need to do better. I expected us to be a little bit better in that area. Gave up three sacks there at the end of the first quarter. All in all, we?re not going to judge it emotionally tonight. I thought the effort was good. I thought guys competed. We?ll come back and evaluate it tomorrow, when emotions are down a little bit, and make the proper corrections and move on. Again, we?re a developing football team. It was a good step tonight; see a different team, saw some guys we weren?t familiar with, and I thought they handled themselves overall relatively well. I?ll answer any questions.

What was the first game like for you emotionally?

I really kind of took myself out of it. I was really just focusing on creating an environment where everybody ? players and coaches ? got what they needed to do. When you do that you kind of get your job done in the process.

Did Cedrick Wilson talk to some people about getting the ball?

Oh, boy, I?ll tell you what: You guys don?t let old dogs lie. No, Ced?s a guy who?s capable of making plays. We called his number a few times tonight. He delivered. That?s what it is: It?s not necessarily about the number of opportunities you get, it?s about what you do with them when you get them. I know that he understands that.

Your depth chart continues to list Santonio Holmes No. 1 and Ced continues to start. Why?

Yeah, but you know Santonio missed a significant amount of time and Ced?s been delivering for us. But there?s plenty of time to let that sort itself out. We did play Ced in front of him tonight. We thought he was deserving of that given the time that was missed. But that?s just the nature of football and injuries. Somebody else?s misfortunes creates opportunities for others and he took advantage of it tonight. We?ll put one foot in front of the other and see where we are next week.

Nate Washington dropped a couple of passes. He dropped several last season. Do you see that as a potential problem?

Again, I?m not going to pass judgment on these guys over what?s happened in the past. It was a problem tonight. We?d like to make that disappear and hopefully next week it will.

What were you looking for from LaMarr Woodley tonight and what did you see?

I just wanted to see if he could play a conditioned game because I knew he was going to have to get more snaps probably than most. I think he held up relatively well from that standpoint. He was able to play quite a few snaps. It felt like he was solid, but nothing stood out positively or negatively, so we?ll take a look at the tape and grade him and see where he is technically.

What did you think of the play where he dropped and broke up a pass 14 yards down the field?

It was a good play.

Was there a question in your mind about his ability to drop as a converted defensive end?

No. From a reputation standpoint you worried about that when we drafted him but nothing he has done to this point has showed us that he?s incapable of doing that. He made those kind of plays in OTAs and minicamps. He?s not a fish out of water on his feet and in coverage.

Did Carey Davis show you anything?

He did. He did. He shows me he needs to do a little more conditioning. He got tired after that long run. But, no, in all seriousness I thought he ran hard. He ran downhill, as did Gary Russell. But we?ll continue to move forward.

Did you want to see Max Starks on the left side?

Yes. We got Max some snaps over on the left side. At this point he is a swing tackle for us, a guy that?s capable of playing both right and left. We?re just continuing to work on our position flexibility; the more that we can do. We understand that things are going to happen. This is the National Football League and football season. Guys need to be able to play multiple positions and handle multiple jobs. He?s one of them, and really that?s kind of a big one, talking about a guy being able to slide over and play left tackle in a football game. Thankfully we were able to get him a snap or two against their really good end, Will Smith. That was important.

Any injuries?

Nothing significant at this point that I know of. It?s really a blessed evening to come in here and get out basically injury free. But you know how it is: Overnight something may happen to somebody and we may get a report of somebody in the morning, but at this point we?re pretty clean.

Clint Kriewaldt?

We held Clint (out) tonight. He?s still less than a hundred percent. Whether he?s capable to go under other circumstances, I don?t know, but I think it was a smart thing to do today. We?ll get him going fresh next week after about four days rest. Hopefully he can come back next week and keep moving forward.

Did he get dinged last week?

Yes, it?s in the area of the shoulder, but not anything to do with what happened to him last year, as far as I know. He wanted to practice, so we let him practice, but we protected him a little bit in practice last week and felt like it was the smart thing to do to protect him, because we know that he?s going to go full speed. He was susceptible to injury tonight based on the circumstance.

Sean Mahan didn?t make the game?

No, Sean, again like we stated the other day, has had a family emergency. It?s an excused absence. When he gets back he gets back. He has our thoughts and prayers and support.

Was the passing game crisper than you thought it would be?

No. We?ve had some chunks here in training camp. We?ve hit some chunks and some big plays. We moved the ball pretty efficiently, particularly with our first and second units, so that wasn?t a surprise at all.

Was it nice to see Holmes throw a block downfield?

Hey, I?m not going to pat him on the back for doing his job, man. We?ve got to block downfield because we want to be a big-play offense. Hats off to him for doing it. Nate Washington got out in front of Carey, but that?s what they?re supposed to do.

Was Ben Roethlisberger?s short night the plan going in?

The fact that he scored that quick helped. Had we had a three-and-out he probably would?ve been back in there. But he?s having a good preseason. It was good to get out, make a couple throws, move the offense down the field. We went 80 there in six plays, so we wanted to look at other people.

Understanding that you didn?t want to make it about yourself, did you take a moment?

I did there briefly I guess when I was talking to Deion (Sanders) right before the kickoff. That was unique. I?d never given an interview right before kickoff, so that?s probably the only thing new and exciting that happened to me tonight, interviewed 30 seconds before kickoff, but, no. Maybe I?ll be more excited next month. I?m sure that I will when we open in Cleveland, but really, tonight it was all about seeing this team take the next step in its development.

Did you argue with the refs at all?

I did. I did. But, believe me, that?s nothing new. I?ve been doing that as an assistant, the only difference is I had a boss who used to tell me to shut up.
Looks like he's going to be a good one.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713
Default Re: Post Game with Tomlin

sounds good he is not just saying everyone did great he is breaking down the video and fixing the mistakes.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Great read MACH - thanks!

I was very impressed with his cool, calm and collected demeanor both pre-game, during the game and the post-game PC.

I absolutely loved his pre-game response to Deion Sanderes when he asked Tomlin if he was feeling any pressure in following in the footsteps of a legendary coach (Cowher). Tomlin's very cool response was " nah.....pressure is feeding your family". Gotta love the guy!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
Steelerstrength
Starter

Member Number: 3283

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Great read MACH - thanks!

I was very impressed with his cool, calm and collected demeanor both pre-game, during the game and the post-game PC.

I absolutely loved his pre-game response to Deion Sanderes when he asked Tomlin if he was feeling any pressure in following in the footsteps of a legendary coach (Cowher). Tomlin's very cool response was " nah.....pressure is feeding your family". Gotta love the guy!
That was a great response to "Peeon Deonne" as in Warwick, for you chronologically advanced readers.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Was it nice to see Holmes throw a block downfield?

Hey, I?m not going to pat him on the back for doing his job, man. We?ve got to block downfield because we want to be a big-play offense. Hats off to him for doing it. Nate Washington got out in front of Carey, but that?s what they?re supposed to do.
I think that was my favorite quote from the whole piece. Pretty much says it all about Tomlin's expectations - high, high, high. No "settling" will be happening here!

A supremely confident man, yet devoid enough of ego that he can let the coaches and players do their jobs. Do you know how well this bodes for the future? Sky's the limit, you watch.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #6
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

It sounds like the players are really buying into the whole Tomlin system. I like the leadership skills Tomlin exhibits.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
Dragonrider
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5834

I don't think I have anticipated a pre-season game this much in years. Mike Tomlin is everything I expected him to be and more. I listened to PK and T-Rock sing his praises and he definitely did what they said he would. I am very comfortable going into the future with him at the head of the program. God bless the Rooneys for another great coach.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #8
Dragonrider
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5834

I haven't looked forward to a preseason game in years. The first units looked crisp. Mike Tomlin is everything I expected and more. I have listened to various programs when people asked who he was. PK and T-Rock said it best. "Be patient, you guys will love this guy". The Rooneys have proven themselves again as excellent leaders. His comments before the game were right on the mark. He will do well and carry us into a great future.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I think this is the money quote...

Quote:
Music to my ears!!!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:41 PM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

And this one maybe me literally laugh out loud.

Quote:
I did. I did. But, believe me, that?s nothing new. I?ve been doing that as an assistant, the only difference is I had a boss who used to tell me to shut up.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote