Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 09-22-2005, 05:54 PM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default NFL.com has it spot-on

The article below pretty much sums up my feelings on this weekends match up.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4891272

Patriots at Steelers: Sportswriter clich? No. 234: A "good loss." Definition: an early season loss on the road to an out-of-conference opponent; the type of loss that helps a good team refocus or reprioritize without jeopardizing future playoff tiebreakers. Example: "The Patriots suffered a good loss against the Panthers last week and should be ready for the Steelers."

The Patriots play a few flat games every year, usually on the road against tough, disciplined defenses. That's what happened when they faced the Steelers in Week 8 last year: the Steelers defense forced four turnovers, ran up an early lead, and made life easy for Ben Roethlisberger. The Patriots got revenge on the Steelers and Big Ben in the AFC title game, exposing Roethlisberger's weaknesses with their complex defenses, making him look like the rookie he was.

Whatever the merits of "good losses," they are no substitute for good wins. The Steelers have racked up two easy victories against cupcake opponents. Willie Parker may not be as good as he has looked so far. Big Ben's gaudy stats may have as much to do with his development as with the defenses he has faced. The defense appears exceptional, but it hasn't really been tested. Hand out the No. 2 pencils and scrap paper: the test is Sunday.

One thing is certain: there are no such things as "back-to-back good losses." The Steelers want to play almost the same game that the Panthers played last week; the Patriots know that some weaknesses were exposed in Carolina and will try to correct them. A second straight loss would leave the Patriots two games behind the Steelers and (probably) the Colts, their toughest conference rivals. In the tough AFC, no one wants to fall behind.

Cheers

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: NFL.com has it spot-on

blah blah blah.. I read that earlier too. Nothing like the media trying to downgrade what we've done so far this year....but alas, That's why they play the game !
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
blah blah blah.. I read that earlier too. Nothing like the media trying to downgrade what we've done so far this year....but alas, That's why they play the game !
I would say its a fair reflection of the season so far - im not here to downgrade Steelers achievements this year for one big reason - if we lose it looks even worse.

I just think way too much has been written about the new king of fantasy football - Willie Parker - but hey...if he comes out and gets it done Sunday - then you know ill be here to offer my props.

Cheers

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,084 Times in 4,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
I would say its a fair reflection of the season so far - im not here to downgrade Steelers achievements this year for one big reason - if we lose it looks even worse.

I just think way too much has been written about the new king of fantasy football - Willie Parker - but hey...if he comes out and gets it done Sunday - then you know ill be here to offer my props.

Cheers

NM
sure patriots got alot to play for, streaks, pride, never losing 2 games in a row, always rebounding, a qb never beating a 'chick led team twice, etc. steelers cant possibly win. what is being over looked is the steelers pride. they are playing for something to0 and its not to placate the patriots. it will be a tough game but the past will not dictate what unfolds on sunday. steelers could win 34-20 but it doesnt matter until they do it in the afc champ game against whoever.

sure willie seems like a flash in the pan who hasnt faced nobody. same could be said about ben last year. but just like ben he is flourishing by being in an excellent system. he proved himself in his 1st start against the bills (not too shabby of a d) and the steelers system pretty much cranked out a 100 yd game for any back who started last year. its beginning to look like the steelers are comfortable in thinking willie is the best of the 4 backs regardless of who is healthy. i think willie has a better chance against pats d than dillon does against steelers d. then again dillon won last year on just 73 yds rushing. if willie gets 50 and the win i will be happy. hes for real.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #5
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

On the stock market, this would be called "Hedging your bets".

The Pats are STILL the media darlings...they are in a precarious situation here, and that puts the sports writers in an even worse position. If the Steelers win, are the Pats passe? That's the question. For a few years, the beat writers have picked against the Pats and been burnt...now they are afraid to jump off the cart.

Frankly, I like the writers nuthugging the Colts and Pats.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:53 PM   #6
I.C. Lights
Starter

Member Number: 530

It's funny that the article says that we're going to try to play like the Panthers... We invented the panthers! Talk about identity theft...

I don't think the Pats are gonna handle us if they couldn't handle the Panthers. Question is: was that just a crappy Pat's performance or was it something we may see more of in the future? I'm hoping for the latter.

Either way, I wouldn't sweat it Livinginthepast, you guys are king of the hill until we (or the colts) knock you off in the playoffs. Let's have a good game on Sunday.
I.C. Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:22 PM   #7
SteelProven
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 394

The funny thing about this game is the Steelers may lose to the Pats and the Patriots may not even make the playoffs. That's why I hate revenge sometimes you have your chance to prove the doubters wrong and you don't even get a chance to prove it. Even though by most experts this is the game of the week it's still only week 3.
SteelProven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:27 PM   #8
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Why shouldn't Parker be the FF king? You know we are going to run the other 14 games as well, seems like people are just afraid to admit that he will get 25 carries a game and he can bust it for 50+ time to time. As for downgrading, I agree, you are never as good as you look or as bad. I think both NE and PIT need this weekend to refocus for the rest of the year. Both are telling themselves it doesn't mean anything unless they can do it this weekend.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:59 AM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
On the stock market, this would be called "Hedging your bets".

The Pats are STILL the media darlings...they are in a precarious situation here, and that puts the sports writers in an even worse position. If the Steelers win, are the Pats passe? That's the question. For a few years, the beat writers have picked against the Pats and been burnt...now they are afraid to jump off the cart.

Frankly, I like the writers nuthugging the Colts and Pats.
I see it pretty much the same - the beat writers have been made to look silly so often it really is a case of once bitten (or should that be 3 times bitten) twice shy.

One slight difference of opinion I have though will be the fallout should we not make the playoffs this year - the writers will be picking gladly over the corpse - they will love every minute of dissecting the reasons why a no talent organisation such as the Pats managed to fluke their way to 3SB's in 4 years.

Believe me, them kissing the proverbial ass of the Colts is ALOT different to them kissing our ass once in a while - they voluntarily 'kiss the Colts cheeks' - we have had to grab their freaking heads and FORCE them to show some respect ha ha.

Cheers

NM
Old 09-23-2005, 05:02 AM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcitychef
Why shouldn't Parker be the FF king? You know we are going to run the other 14 games as well, seems like people are just afraid to admit that he will get 25 carries a game and he can bust it for 50+ time to time. As for downgrading, I agree, you are never as good as you look or as bad. I think both NE and PIT need this weekend to refocus for the rest of the year. Both are telling themselves it doesn't mean anything unless they can do it this weekend.
No reason at all Willie can't be the FF King! Its just we seen a similar type thing last year with Big Ben - he had a great start and was hyped beyond recognition, but the minute he commited the crime of having a bad game he was thrown out like yesterdays news.

But that is the media - they only really build you up so they can have the fun of smashing you back down again.

Cheers

NM