Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Training Camp

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-08-2007, 01:22 AM   #1
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default No snap decision due as Okobi continues to wait

The Steelers drafted Chukky Okobi in the fifth round in 2001, the same year they signed Jeff Hartings as a free agent from the Detroit Lions. Talk about poor timing.

After making the switch from guard to center, Hartings was twice selected to the AFC Pro Bowl team and was also named All-Pro in 2004 and 2005, continuing a legacy of Steelers centers that began with Mike Webster in 1974 and also included seven-time Pro Bowl selection Dermontti Dawson.

"For years, you feel like you're playing behind Michael Jordan," Okobi said. "Not that Jeff was at Michael Jordan's level, and not to disrespect Jeff, but how can you complain when you're behind a player like that?"

Okobi, 28, has waited a long time to get his shot at center, and it appeared his chance finally came when Hartings retired after the 2006 season. But, then the Steelers made Tampa Bay guard/center Sean Mahan their only significant signing in free agency. Mahan was with the Buccaneers when Mike Tomlin was their secondary coach.

As the Steelers began their third week of training camp at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, it still isn't clear if Okobi will end training camp the way he began -- as the starter at center --or if he will be displaced by Mahan, who was Tampa Bay's fifth-round pick in 2003.

And it might not get any clearer for at least another week.

"That's not my call," Okobi said. "We only played one preseason game. We got four more to play. I'd be getting too far ahead of myself to think otherwise."

This was the week the Steelers were planning on juggling some personnel in their offensive line, most notably, giving Mahan his shot to work with the first-team offense. But Mahan, 27, has not been at camp since he was excused Friday for family reasons, and the Steelers are not sure when he will return.

For now, Okobi will remain with the first-team offense, though some other starters could get reshuffled for the second preseason game against the Green Bay Packers Saturday night at Heinz Field.

Max Starks, who played nearly the entire first half at left tackle against the New Orleans Saints after starting at right tackle, will spend most of this week at left tackle while Willie Colon gets some work with the first team at right tackle. Starks will back up starter Marvel Smith. Also, Chris Kemoeatu will get a look at right guard in his battle to displace Kendall Simmons.

Yesterday, though, Kemoeatu worked at left guard because Alan Faneca missed practice with a shoulder injury sustained against the Saints. The coaches consider all three positions -- center, right guard, right tackle -- open for competition.

"That's not my call; I just do what they tell me to do," Okobi said. "I don't put a lot of thought into other people. I don't line up against Sean. I just worry about myself and what I have to do on a daily basis."

Okobi has taken that approach since he joined the Steelers in 2001. He has only seven games in 77 NFL appearances, and five of those came in 2002 when Hartings' chronic knee injury was bothering him. But Okobi has appeared to be the heir apparent to Hartings, especially because the Steelers are scheduled to pay him $2 million this season.

Then, the Steelers signed Mahan to a five-year, $17 million contract in March. Like Dawson and Hartings, he was a guard in college (Notre Dame) who was converted to center.

"I didn't view it as anything," Okobi said of Mahan's signing. "I just saw that Jeff retired, and, from a number's standpoint, they had to fill the hole. We have the same number of guys. That's the only thing I saw. It didn't make a difference in terms of what I had to do."

The Steelers have established one of the grandest traditions in the NFL, if not in sports: They have had just three centers since 1974 --Webster, Dawson and Hartings -- and each had at least two seasons when they were voted the best at their position during their tenure.

Their legacy includes 14 NFL All-Pro selections and 18 Pro Bowl teams in 32 years. In the history of the NFL, it is difficult to find three players in a row who dominated a position, any position, with one team the way Webster, Dawson and Hartings did for the Steelers.

That is what Okobi -- or perhaps Mahan -- is trying to follow.

"I don't think it's nice losing Jeff," Okobi said. "But it's nice to get an opportunity."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07220/807691-66.stm

Last edited by fansince'76; 08-08-2007 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Added article link for poster.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:25 AM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: No snap decision due as Okobi continues to wait

The o line really seems tricky this season. I'm hoping Chukky stays this season, even if it is as a backup, although he would have to take a paycut, then both he and Mahan do good on camp and preseason but Mahan gets the Center job. Next year Faneca leaves and Mahan is moved to LG and Chukky starts at center. I can dream can I
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:43 AM   #3
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206

that sucks for him but hey alot of guys never get to put a nfl jersey on even if practice or anything

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
BettisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #4
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

I think Chukky should get the start....................PERIOD!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

I’ve agreed with most before that said, if Okobi didn't win the job, he was gone. While that could still be the case, I'm starting to think that it won't. Obviously, with both Okobi and Mahan having decent camps, there might not be a clear winner. Mahan seems more powerful, and a better overall offensive linemen, but Okobi is a more natural center and probably plays as such. I wonder what the cap savings are for the Steelers if they cut Okobi at the end of camp? Either way, as long as the brain trust does what is best for the team..
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
....as long as the brain trust does what is best for the team..
I agree and I have full confidence that they will. Letting Porter walk is looking like a wiser move every passing day recently.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I agree and I have full confidence that they will. Letting Porter walk is looking like a wiser move every passing day recently.
You can say that again...

And as for Okobi... Regardless of what else anyone thinks... You have to hand it the guy, his attitude is dead right on. thank you Chucky!!

I REALLY hope Okobi gets the position, and Mahan all of a sudden is able to play left guard, making Fanaca expendable.

OH how nice that would be.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Fwiw, Tomlin stated today that Mahan will get the start this Saturday.