Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-23-2005, 02:10 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,642 Times in 4,008 Posts
Default is this the week we see hines ward in the slot?

all preseason they have talked about how they have new wrinkles in the passing game they were unable to use with plexico. all 3 wr can run all 3 positions to confuse the defenses and who is supposed to cover who. i say this week we will confuse them quick and then strike down the middle with heath miller. neither has really been seen on gamefilm and will be tough to plan a defense for. if their is a future matchup this gamefilm could be used to kind of keep the patriots on their heels and allow the steelers more freedom to employ the same tactics or just come out pounding the ball. i have a feeling the passing game will be used to set up the running game whereas most teams try to establish the run to open up the passing game. im sure patriots will be geared up to stop the run 1st but will be weary of the deep ball. this seems to play perfectly in getting heath millers feet wet and isolating w. parker on a linebacker.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:15 PM   #2
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: is this the week we see hines ward in the slot?

Ward in the slot is intriguing...it's the hardest position to cover because the receiver has so much field on either side to work with.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

wouldnt surprise me at all. Ken W. is a master and always calls a good game. Im sure he'll have a few wrinkles in the play book this week.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 04:02 PM   #4
SteelR1
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 512

This game will certainly be one of the great ones for 2005!!!!!!!!

Lets go STEELERS!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 04:43 PM   #5
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

This is a great idea. I wish this were a wrinkl;e that we could save until postseason.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:57 PM   #6
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
This is a great idea. I wish this were a wrinkl;e that we could save until postseason.
theres been talk amongst the team that hines ward missing the 1st 2 weeks was a blessing in disguise. it let el and wilson learn the other wr spots (which the coaching staff wanted to do anyways) they had plays last year that they could not use because not only of plexicos limitations but his size would give away what they were trying to do. this year you will find all 3 receivers lining up anywhere. the idea is to say put c. wilson in the flanker and confuse the defense into double covering him while el is in the z position and hines is in the slot with single coverage. ben just takes his pick on who is more open. the patriots havent needed a 6'5" wr to win 3 superbowls and neither do the steelers. thats why when everyone said losing him was doom and gloom i just sat back and smiled.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:03 PM   #7
Black-n-Gold
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
theres been talk amongst the team that hines ward missing the 1st 2 weeks was a blessing in disguise. it let el and wilson learn the other wr spots (which the coaching staff wanted to do anyways) they had plays last year that they could not use because not only of plexicos limitations but his size would give away what they were trying to do. this year you will find all 3 receivers lining up anywhere. the idea is to say put c. wilson in the flanker and confuse the defense into double covering him while el is in the z position and hines is in the slot with single coverage. ben just takes his pick on who is more open. the patriots havent needed a 6'5" wr to win 3 superbowls and neither do the steelers. thats why when everyone said losing him was doom and gloom i just sat back and smiled.
Letting El and Cedrick in there also allowed the other teams to see what they're capable of. Now instead of only Hines a major threat, all three of them are. I've been impressed with El, and Wilson so far this season. They both possess great speed, providing Ben plenty of targets all over the field.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:12 PM   #8
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-n-Gold
Letting El and Cedrick in there also allowed the other teams to see what they're capable of. Now instead of only Hines a major threat, all three of them are. I've been impressed with El, and Wilson so far this season. They both possess great speed, providing Ben plenty of targets all over the field.
just dont seem right for a running team now does it? many people who dont closely follow the team dont realize that pittsburgh runs the ball so much cause it CHOOSES to, not because it has to. dropping bombs is always an option and i hope we go baghdad on the patriots ass this weekend. patriot missles cant stop bens s.c.u.d.s.!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:11 PM   #9
I.C. Lights
Starter

Member Number: 530

Love this idea, and I'd really like to see more of Wilson in this game. But, I think Miller should stay low on the radar for now - silent but deadly, baby.
I.C. Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:24 PM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
just dont seem right for a running team now does it? many people who dont closely follow the team dont realize that pittsburgh runs the ball so much cause it CHOOSES to, not because it has to. dropping bombs is always an option and i hope we go baghdad on the patriots ass this weekend. patriot missles cant stop bens s.c.u.d.s.!!!!!!!!!
If we are going to see anybody 'go baghdad' as you so tastefully put it - im pretty sure that means the Patriot missiles will come out on top. Scuds cause a big bang - but they dont often land in the right place when you most need them to.

Cheers

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote