Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-13-2007, 12:14 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Timmons remains a solitary Steeler

Timmons remains a solitary Steeler
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, August 13, 2007

The loneliest Steeler stood out like a neon sign during Saturday night's exhibition game against Green Bay.

While other players milled along the sideline, exchanging strategy and pleasantries with teammates and coaches, rookie linebacker Lawrence Timmons stood mostly alone.

It's difficult to feel sorry for Timmons, who agreed to a five-year contract worth as much as $15 million on the eve of training camp but hasn't played since July 26 because of injury. However, it looks like Timmons could use a friend.

Not to say Timmons, the No. 15 pick in the draft, isn't popular with his new teammates, but during one second-half sighting he was seen sitting next to a couple of kickers.

And you know what coaches say about kickers, who are considered necessary evils rather than football players.

Fellow linebacker LaMarr Woodley, a second-round pick, chatted briefly with Timmons. Rookies, of course, have to stick together.

Timmons' nagging groin injury is why he spent a lot of time walking by himself Saturday night.

An injured football player is a lonely player. And an injured first-round draft pick who's a lock to make the team without having to prove himself is downright invisible.

Of course, Timmons can change everyone's opinion when he finally re-takes the field and starts making some plays.

Until then, he will continue to have his skeptics, doubters who question his ability to distinguish between pain and injury.

Please don't call Timmons a bust. It's much too early for that.

Do call him an incredibly unfortunate kid who never missed a game in high school or college because of injury who suddenly can't stay healthy.

Timmons shouldn't be branded a failure until he's been pancaked at least a dozen times and has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's terrible in pass coverage.

The issue isn't whether Timmons can play. In time, he will make his mark.

Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to stay on the field long enough to show what he can do.

Timmons, a quiet type who doesn't like conveying his feelings to the media, probably didn't mind walking alone on the sideline during the Steelers' 13-9 loss.

"I don't want to speculate what maybe he's going through mentally," coach Mike Tomlin said Thursday.

Here's speculating that Timmons, who refuses to speak with reporters about the injury, will develop a chip on his shoulder the size of Heinz Field attempting to prove his critics wrong.

But first he needs a clean bill of health.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_521881.html
Old 08-13-2007, 12:18 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Timmons remains a solitary Steeler

I like the fact that he has NEVER missed time, this is the first time ever he has been injured.

I agree.. I hope he gets that chip on his shoulder!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:29 AM   #3
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

There are a lot of people out there, and some of this message board, who doubt this kid's ability and think we should have taken a hige reach and drafted Paul Posluzny instead of Timmons. But will tell you that this kid is going to be special once he gets healed up. He's not injury prone like some of the hacks in the Pittsburgh media have claimed him to be. This is a one time thing and he will get over it and be a very good player for the Steelers.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:31 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,951 Times in 4,536 Posts

Quote:
but during one second-half sighting he was seen sitting next to a couple of kickers.

And you know what coaches say about kickers, who are considered necessary evils rather than football players.
sepulveda is bigger than simmons. thats gotta suck.

i still got high hopes. if woodley proves to be worth a 1st rounder and timmons a second, i guess its a wash.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:32 AM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
He's not injury prone like some of the hacks in the Pittsburgh media have claimed him to be.
Fwiw, it's the "hacks in the Pittsburgh media" who are telling the fans in the Pittsburgh area to settle down and let the kid heal before calling him a bust. There are some (Bouchette being one of them), who are not comfortable with him missing the amount of time that he has missed (can't say I blame him), but that's far from calling him a bust. I have yet to read in the local papers or hear on the local sports radio/tv shows one Pittsburgh sports writer or personality call Timmons a bust.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:52 AM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
There are a lot of people out there, and some of this message board, who doubt this kid's ability and think we should have taken a hige reach and drafted Paul Posluzny instead of Timmons. But will tell you that this kid is going to be special once he gets healed up.

I agree. People get hurt. We need to be patient with the kid. Hey, its not like he was going to start anyway. We want him to play. We want him to grow as a player. But you can't tell me that 6 months off of football, and then just running reps in the season won't be good for his body anyways. Gives all those small nagging injuries time to heal as well.

All in all.. I think we will end up with two very good LB's.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:56 AM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Fwiw, it's the "hacks in the Pittsburgh media" who are telling the fans in the Pittsburgh area to settle down and let the kid heal before calling him a bust. There are some (Bouchette being one of them), who are not comfortable with him missing the amount of time that he has missed (can't say I blame him), but that's far from calling him a bust. I have yet to read in the local papers or hear on the local sports radio/tv shows one Pittsburgh sports writer or personality call Timmons a bust.
And I was happy to read that as well.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:19 AM   #8
Jeremy
Banned

Tell you what, I trust Tomlin and LeBeau to know when the kid is ready to go. Hell, I'd rather hold a guy out if he has some kind of nagging injury than push him in to some meaningless preseason game or practices that could make the injury worse. While it's true that football players have to know how to play with pain, it's also true that these guys represent a pretty good investment on the Steelers part and I think it's smart to let the guy get back to 100% before they put him in practices or games.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:32 AM   #9
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Tomlin must of seen something good in the kid when he went down and watched him worked out. Plus the limited film on the kid. Something must of stood out, something that says he should be in black and gold. Who knows right now. The best thing is to sit back, wait on the kid to get healthy and give him his shot. Who knows he might just surprise us all.

As long as he does not turn out like Kendrell Bell, Ill be ok..
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:37 AM   #10
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross View Post
Tomlin must of seen something good in the kid when he went down and watched him worked out. Plus the limited film on the kid. Something must of stood out, something that says he should be in black and gold. Who knows right now. The best thing is to sit back, wait on the kid to get healthy and give him his shot. Who knows he might just surprise us all.

As long as he does not turn out like Kendrell Bell, Ill be ok..
He was an amazing college linebacker. He has good quickness and a nose for the football. I don't know if he'll be the next Shawne Merriman, but he should be a great linebacker in the 3-4.