Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 08-14-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Tomlin: Ben may play more next game

I would hope so......

Tomlin says Roethlisberger may play more against Washington
By The Associated Press
Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Ben Roethlisberger hopes to play more against Washington on Saturday night than the three series he was on the field for during the Pittsburgh Steelers' first two exhibition games.

Coach Mike Tomlin's reaction to his quarterback's lobbying for more on-field time? He might get it.

"That would be a good assumption, but we're going to keep him guessing," Tomlin said Monday following the Steelers' first practice since losing to Green Bay 13-9 Saturday. "We'll let him know later in the week."

Roethlisberger led a six-play, 80-yard touchdown drive in the Aug. 5 Hall of Fame game against New Orleans, but was pulled after two unsuccessful drives Saturday against Green Bay. The first ended with Roethlisberger losing a fumble as he was sacked, and the other after three plays and a punt.

There was no guessing about the emphasis Tomlin put on his kicking game during Monday's lone practice. After Jeff Reed's extra-point kick attempt was blocked Saturday night, Tomlin held a full-contact scrimmage Monday devoted to field goal kicking.

The Steelers also re-signed long snapper Jared Retkofsky to compete with Greg Warren, who was beaten up the middle on the blocked extra point.

"It's a glaring weakness that we have and, again, that's just the nature of this league. When you show a weakness, people are going to attack it," Tomlin said. "The only way we're going to make it disappear is if we make it disappear."

Returning to practice, though not for every drill, was first-round draft pick Lawrence Timmons, who hadn't worked out in 2 1/2 weeks due to a groin injury. Running back Willie Parker (knee) and left guard Alan Faneca (shoulder) also returned after sitting out Saturday's game. Parker has yet to play in the preseason.

Left tackle Marvel Smith, whose playing time Saturday was limited, was held out due to tightness in his back. Center Chukky Okobi (ribs) also didn't practice.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_522052.html
Old 08-14-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Tomlin: Ben may play more next game

I, too, am hoping Ben gets more work against the Skins. I think we all know what Ben is capable of, but I'm anxious to see the "new and improved" Ben in action, as I believe this is going to be his best season ever. We also know that Charlie is a capable backup and that Frenchy belongs at #3 - put Ben in there for a quarter and a half and allow him to get more comfy with his O against the Skins first team D.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

i agree with you HTG, i think he needs to get more playing time to get comfortable with his oline.. we all know that he is capable of being a good qb. and i personally dont care who is in the game as long as we beat the skins..(they are my ex husbands fav team ..lol)

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

So, any thoughts as to why Tomlin might want to keep his franchise QB 'guessing' about how long he should expect to play against the Redskins?

Seeing as he is averaging 1.5 series a game its going to be kind of difficult for him not to play more in the this game, I would have thought.

Maybe Roethlisberger already knows what the plan is and Tomlin is just shielding him from questioning.

The Chargers starters are playing for a half against the Rams next up.

I really think that, with the importance of a fast start this year, that Ben needs to spend some real game time playing the no-huddle in competitive situations.

It would be asking alot for him to go into week 1 with a new scheme and not much time playing it live.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,100 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
So, any thoughts as to why Tomlin might want to keep his franchise QB 'guessing' about how long he should expect to play against the Redskins?

Seeing as he is averaging 1.5 series a game its going to be kind of difficult for him not to play more in the this game, I would have thought.

Maybe Roethlisberger already knows what the plan is and Tomlin is just shielding him from questioning.

The Chargers starters are playing for a half against the Rams next up.

I really think that, with the importance of a fast start this year, that Ben needs to spend some real game time playing the no-huddle in competitive situations.

It would be asking alot for him to go into week 1 with a new scheme and not much time playing it live.
i think tomlin is just being coy with the media and jacking them off a bit.

Quote:
"That would be a good assumption, but we're going to keep him guessing," Tomlin said Monday following the Steelers' first practice since losing to Green Bay 13-9 Saturday. "We'll let him know later in the week."
translation [to the media]- "if you ask a dumb question, you get a dumb answer. we'll keep you guessing."
Old 08-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

They were talking about why Tomlin is keeping it hush-hush on FSN Pittsburgh last night. They stated the reason is because Tomlin wants to keep everybody on their toes. He wants them to expect the unexpected.

Sounds like a smart move to me.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:14 AM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
They were talking about why Tomlin is keeping it hush-hush on FSN Pittsburgh last night. They stated the reason is because Tomlin wants to keep everybody on their toes. He wants them to expect the unexpected.

That sounds like something Tomlin would do. Too many players got too comfortable over the last few years. It is nice to see the fire back, even if it doesn't come out in the same way it did with Cowher.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:18 AM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,400 Times in 2,932 Posts

Ben needs a quarter this week and close to a half the week after that.

A big reason Ben was so lackluster in 2006 after he returned from the appendectomy (and for that matter the whole team was so sloppy the first month of the season) was so little playing time during Cowher's mismanaged training camp.

IMO Tomlin regards the extra week of camp this year as much more valuable than the extra exhibition game - this weekend is effectively going to be treated as game 2 of the exhibition season - I look for all starters to play at least a quarter with more time the next week before the starters rest during the last game prior to the Browns.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
FastWillieParker39
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4348

I hope the first team offense gets a good quarter in now that Parker will be playing. Ben needs to get more comfortable with his oline and I wouldn't put the same oline he had when they played the Packers.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:24 PM   #10
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post

your absolutey right it was to remain a secret, but that never lasts, I agree he should play more but if he gets hit hard or knocked around, he should be taken out.....just in case.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote