Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 08-16-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Talking Thurman news out of Bungleland

Thurman turns to U.S.
By GEOFF HOBSON
August 16, 2007
Comments (0) | Post a Comment
7:35 p.m.
With no word from the NFL or the NFL Players Association, the attorney for Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman has filed a claim of disability discrimination against the NFL. John Michels said Thursday that he has notified the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission that he feels his client is being discriminated against because he is perceived as an alcoholic.

Michels said it doesn't matter that Thurman acknowledged in court that he is an alcoholic when he appeared for a DUI stemming from a Sept. 25, 2006 traffic stop. He indicated that Thurman has passed all required programs stipulated by the league.

"He has not had an alcoholic problem since the incident last fall," Michels said.

The NFLPA has not yet responded to Thurman's request to appeal to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's July 26 decision to extend Thurman's year-long suspension for another year. Michels said if the EEOC finds for Thurman, the commission can offer such remedies as reinstatement and back pay.

Michels cited a recent precedent. The EEOC ruled in favor of Roy Tarpley, the former Dalllas Maverick forward banned in 1995 for violating the league's substance abuse policy. The commission said the NBA violated the Americans with Disabilities Act when it didn't reinstate Tarpley even though he had passed all drug tests taken in the last four years.

Michels said the Bengals are named in the claim only because they are Thurman's direct employers. He said the claim was not a Bengals' decision and that the commission is aware that the suspension came from the NFL and not the club.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6199
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,299 Times in 474 Posts
Default Re: Thurman news out of Bungleland

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't alcoholism pretty much a lifelong affliction that a person is always "recovering" from once they've hit bottom?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,365 Times in 4,303 Posts

lmao. Reverend Attorney Lewis must be pretty desperate to advise his client...err...player to grasp at these straws.

way to be a coach, coach.... (but isnt there a bunglefight you must ref? what a multi tasker marvin is)

hes like the steve tasker of special olympic teams
Old 08-17-2007, 09:30 AM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
"He has not had an alcoholic problem since the incident last fall," Michels said.
Hi, my name is Odell and I'm an alcoholic and steroid user. I enjoy driving drunk, using steroids and indulging in roid-rage fights in the state of Georgia.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:15 PM   #5
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
lmao. Reverend Attorney Lewis must be pretty desperate to advise his client...err...player to grasp at these straws.

way to be a coach, coach.... (but isnt there a bunglefight you must ref? what a multi tasker marvin is)

hes like the steve tasker of special olympic teams
"Michels said the Bengals are named in the claim only because they are Thurman's direct employers. He said the claim was not a Bengals' decision and that the commission is aware that the suspension came from the NFL and not the club."
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,299 Times in 474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
"Michels said the Bengals are named in the claim only because they are Thurman's direct employers. He said the claim was not a Bengals' decision and that the commission is aware that the suspension came from the NFL and not the club."
Which begs the question why are the Bengals still his employers at all? And if you're going to interject with the NFLPA and the Bengals' hands being tied, please save it, because that's .
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Which begs the question why are the Bengals still his employers at all? And if you're going to interject with the NFLPA and the Bengals' hands being tied, please save it, because that's .
Well, I'd be fine if they cut Odell right now...I think it's time to move on without him. I've supported that idea (to much opposition) on Bengal boards.

With that being said, I think the Bengals want to see how Odell's attempts to override Goodell's decision play out before they make any kind of decisions. Also, since Odell is suspended for the entire season, he doesn't cost a roster spot and isn't with the team to cause any type of distraction. So, from a business standpoint, they're better off just leaving him on the suspended list in hopes that he can perhaps return next year. Cutting him wouldn't make any difference at this point except maybe as a PR move.

Personally, I would wait until this lawsuit plays out and probably keep him on the suspended list until the start of next season and make a roster move according to how he has conducted himself during that time. But, if they cut him before this season started, I'd be just as happy.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

What in the world ever happen to handling responsibility or the consequences that come with bad decisions? He should just sack up and be a man about it instead of being a little b*tch! Oh my bad he is a bungle cat

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote