Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-17-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Cook: Rushing Parker unwise

Cook: Rushing Parker into exhibitions unwise
Saturday, August 18, 2007

By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It was nice to read the Post-Gazette story about Willie Parker early in the week. Parker, citing a sense of obligation to his teammates, said he wanted to play in the exhibition game at Washington tonight. That's good. He's a team man, through and through. But Parker also said he didn't think the Steelers' coaches would let him play. That was better. There's no need to use him tonight, not with him just getting over an inflamed knee problem, not with two more exhibition games before the season opener in Cleveland Sept. 9, and, most of all, not with him being the most indispensable Steeler not named Ben Roethlisberger.

That's why it wasn't so nice to read the story about Parker on these pages yesterday. Coach Mike Tomlin announced Parker would play with the other starters against the Redskins, perhaps significantly. "We have to get Willie P. going."

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Why?

Really, why rush Fast Willie?

It's pretty obvious Parker is the one player -- other than Big Ben, of course -- the Steelers can't afford to lose. Have you watched backups Najeh Davenport and Kevan Barlow in the exhibition games? I know you're excited about Carey Davis and Gary Russell, but here's a word of advice: Easy. Long shots who tear it up in the early preseason games against second- and third-teamers hardly ever turn out to be the real deal.

I know what you're going to say:

Parker was one of those long shots not long ago ...

You're right, but it's hard to believe the Steelers could be so lucky again.

Don't be greedy.

Be thankful they have Parker and don't ask for another miracle.

What's important is that Parker makes it through the preseason healthy. Although it's true that football is a brutal game and players are going to get hurt no matter how cautious you are, playing him tonight is taking an unnecessary risk. It's different with Roethlisberger. He has to play into the second quarter -- maybe even the whole first half -- and again in the home exhibition game against the Philadelphia Eagles Aug. 26. He needs to get his timing down with his receivers. He needs to get comfortable with his no-huddle offense and some of the other nuances added by new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

A star running back doesn't need that much work to be ready. Parker certainly has proved he needs very little. In the 2005 preseason, when he suddenly and unexpectedly found himself as the starting halfback because of injuries to Duce Staley and Jerome Bettis, he had just one carry in the third exhibition game -- wouldn't you know it went for 51 yards? -- and didn't play in the final one. It didn't hurt him in the regular-season opener; he ran for 161 yards and a touchdown in a win against the Tennessee Titans. Last preseason was similar. Parker, established as a top player after a 1,202-yard season and his 75-yard touchdown run in Super Bowl XL, played one series in the third exhibition game and didn't play in the final one. His preseason body of work: seven carries. Again, it didn't hurt him much; he ran for 115 yards in the opening win against the Miami Dolphins.

That's the way it works with great running backs. It didn't hurt the San Diego Chargers' LaDainian Tomlinson that he missed the exhibition games last season. He ran for 1,815 yards and 28 touchdowns and was the NFL's MVP. It won't hurt the Kansas City Chiefs' Larry Johnson that he has been a contract holdout this summer after he had an NFL-record 416 carries for 1,789 yards last season. If anything, it will help him be fresh for the season.

So it should be for Parker.

Here's hoping Tomlin changes his mind about using Parker tonight. That's unlikely, so hope for the next best thing: That Parker plays no more than one series -- a couple of carries, perhaps -- and doesn't aggravate that knee problem.

The same next week against the Eagles.

Then, Parker shouldn't play in the final exhibition game against the Carolina Panthers Aug. 30.

As for that admirable commitment to his teammates? Parker shouldn't lose much sleep these nights worrying about it. His teammates understand his importance to the Steelers' success. They know they need him in Cleveland next month, not in Washington tonight. Arians has talked of using Parker even more than last season when he had 337 carries for 1,494 yards. He has talked of playing him on third downs.

When you're going to give a guy that much work in September and beyond, the last thing you want to do is waste carries in August.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07230/810435-87.stm
Old 08-17-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Cook: Rushing Parker unwise

Hopefully Cook did a good job with this article....lol. I'm sure he's losing sleep over it.

Anyways.....

I gotta disagree with Cook on this one. If he feels good and the doc's give him the green light, let him get some time in before the season starts. I love when people play doctor or Steeler medical staff employee.

"We have to get Willie Parker going," - Mike Tomlin

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-17-2007 at 11:31 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:13 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Easy. Long shots who tear it up in the early preseason games against second- and third-teamers hardly ever turn out to be the real deal.
Ah, I see. You mean kinda like Willie, Mr. Cook? I should know better than to keep reading when I see the name "Ron Cook" by now. I'm a glutton for punishment, I guess.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:28 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,103 Posts

I say let him play for a few snaps and rest him.He has a couple of games left before the season starts.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:46 AM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

This article forms part of a long running Ron Cook series, including such literary delights as :

Why its dangerous to drive too fast.

Holding your breath for too long : Unwise.

and

Why winning the Superbowl is a good thing.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:21 AM   #6
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

I don't think they are rushing him. He does need some game time reps.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:35 AM   #7
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

I would like for willie to play the eagles and panthers, they both have good defenses and would be a great way to test him for the season
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
yinzer-inseattle
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4779

This is Cook's best chance to say "see I told you Tomlin doesn't know what he's doing". If FWP comes away from this game with as much as a sore hang nail, we'll be hit with a barrage of columns from Cook questioning Mike T's judgement.

Why didn't we hire Russ Grimm?
yinzer-inseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #9
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261

Cook is acting like FWP is going to play the whole game.

He'll play, but he'll get 10-15 snaps at most I predict. The steelers aren't rushing him, they want to get him his reps to get back into game speed.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:09 PM   #10
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Hey; they saved Duce for two whole seasons. Not only did he not die due to an on-field incident during that time, but look what they saved on uniform laundering.

We should take all our good guys and save them like that. It is only prudent.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote