Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-19-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,075 Times in 2,614 Posts
Default Bungles Look Shaky at Best

i know its only pre season, but these are some problems that are easilly going to carry over into the regular season:

their "up the gut" run defense is still softer than the belly of a jellyfish.

carson still fumbles everytime he thiks he might get tackled. kimo is currently leasing out the space he owns in carsons head if you got $3 to spare. (his hands have got to be smaller than culpeppers).

tab perry cannot fill the role of c. henry (who makes up for the lack of a TE who can catch more than a cold)

chad johnson just now realizes he was telegraphing all the passing plays that were designed for him by yapping to the defender "the ball is coming to me" everytime the ball was coming to him. (he tugs his gloves too)

they still havent drafted a good back up or 3rd down rb other than/since rudi johnson.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:44 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Bungles Look Shaky at Best

But, but, but Carson said they're the "team to beat" in the AFC North. How can he be wrong?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:49 AM   #3
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
How can he be wrong?

well... his decision on the hot dog add was about as right as modelling lipstick and mascara

Old 08-19-2007, 01:00 AM   #4
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
well... his decision on the hot dog add was about as right as modelling lipstick and mascara

Or he's hoping that there is a subtle correlation between looking as gay as possible and Super Bowls

Old 08-19-2007, 06:50 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,277 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I guess if carson is going to dream he should dream big.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:21 AM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

The Ben-girl fans were killing themselves already last night!!!!!!!!!! (how in the world can their IR list have 20 people on it!!!!)
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:54 AM   #7
tony hipchest

the bungles problems on run defense are painfully obvious. there is no flowing to the ball. the linebackers and db's stand around and wait for the ball carrier to come to them.

warden reverend attorney lewis clearly needs to get back to teaching and coaching. perhaps next year when he makes the move back to coordinator in baltimore or somewhere else where the players talents include more than playing dominoes, carving weapons from a toothbrush, and making wine from mash.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:25 PM   #8
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

But how can this be?....With Ahmad Brooks at MLB he was supposed to solve all the Bengals woes on defense....He was the second coming of Mike Singletary according to some Bengals fans....lol
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #9
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

This is soooooo typical of the Ben-girls and their fans. Yap, Yap Yap..............we're the best ever. We're going to win the Superbowl........yap yap yap before preseason even starts and the bam! Remember this quote just a couple of weeks ago???

"We expect to win our division and make a run at it,'' Palmer said. "We've got enough players, we've got good coaches and we've got some experience."

The fans are already jumping off the ship.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #10
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

lol It's funny...you go undefeated in preseason and everyone's saying "big deal, it doesn't mean anything"...you go winless and people act like you're on the Titanic.

Quote:
their "up the gut" run defense is still softer than the belly of a jellyfish.
I'm going to have to disagree on this one...I think the run defense is actually improving. They only gave up 2.9 yards a carry last night, the longest gain being an 8 yard run by Deuce. If there's anything that's still soft on the bengals defense, it's the pass defense. Obviously they got torched by Detroit and Brees had little trouble passing last night. Hopefully the return of Johnathan Joseph will give the secondary and added spark.

Quote:
carson still fumbles everytime he thiks he might get tackled. kimo is currently leasing out the space he owns in carsons head if you got $3 to spare. (his hands have got to be smaller than culpeppers).
If there is any weakness is Palmer's game, this would be it. It appears he has a hard time securing the ball when he gets sacked. This could be a side effect of always looking down the field and ignoring the rush, but it is something that he could work on.

Quote:
tab perry cannot fill the role of c. henry (who makes up for the lack of a TE who can catch more than a cold)
Honestly, no one could fill the role of Chris Henry as far as 3rd receivers go. He's a special player who could be #1 on a lot of teams in the league (as far as abilities go). Tab Perry had a couple of good catches, but it's obvious he still needs some time to improve and work on his timing and route running. The TE will never be a focal point in the Bengals offense, but don't sleep on Reggie Kelly...he doesn't have blazing speed but he's a veteran and can make catches when the team needs him to.

Quote:
chad johnson just now realizes he was telegraphing all the passing plays that were designed for him by yapping to the defender "the ball is coming to me" everytime the ball was coming to him. (he tugs his gloves too)
Yeah, that was mentioned in one of the articles from the Bengals-Saints joint practices...Mike McKenzie could tell when Chad was expecting the ball to come to him because he would tug on his gloves or make some other unconscious signal. Hopefully, now that Chad realizes this he'll be a bit more discrete.

Quote:
they still havent drafted a good back up or 3rd down rb other than/since rudi johnson.
You can't say they haven't tried. They took Chris Perry in the first round and he's an excellent third down/pass catching back. The only problem is he can never stay healthy. Then they took Kenny Irons in the 2nd round this year and he looked like he'd be a nice change of pace to Rudi, but then he gets injured as well.

Kenny Watson is a veteran and reliable option as a backup or 3rd down rb, but I would definitely like to see them give one of the upcoming roster casualties a look. It looks awful murky behind Rudi Johnson right now.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote