Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890
Default 3rd and Long

There seems to be an inherent flaw in Dick L's defense when it comes to 3rd and long. For the past 3 or 4 years I have been frustrated seeing teams throw a post pattern or similar middle of the field route that ends up completed for a first time. I thought the problems were due to the lack of speed on the pass rush but last night I swear a couple of times the quarterback threw the ball from his back and still completed the pass.
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: 3rd and Long

Well, according to than June article that talked about LeBeau's updated quarter defense we may see a change on opening day against the browns. In Dick's words "The players appear confused until the snap, when there’s a well-planned jailbreak". We'll see blitzes for anywhere and others covering. What we saw last night is indeed a problem, hopefully it is changed like LeBeau said
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedap View Post
There seems to be an inherent flaw in Dick L's defense when it comes to 3rd and long. For the past 3 or 4 years I have been frustrated seeing teams throw a post pattern or similar middle of the field route that ends up completed for a first time. I thought the problems were due to the lack of speed on the pass rush but last night I swear a couple of times the quarterback threw the ball from his back and still completed the pass.
I agree to an extent. But, in that 3 to 4 year range you mention, there was a Super Bowl and a 15 - 1 season. So, sometimes we fans do have to recognize that there is another team on the field and we are simply not going to dominate every series of every game. In addition, one of the reasons why teams are always throwing against us on third and 5+ yards is because they rarely can run on us so they aren't in many third 1 or 2 yard situations that would call for running plays. In other words, I bet are 'D' faces as many 3rd and long situations as any 'D" in football. Still, we do have to sure-up the pass defense. The "Skins" offense is hardly the Colts, or for that matter the "Bungles."
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,967 Times in 1,848 Posts

I'm really hoping it gets better, remember the 03 / 6-10 year? Were going to have to get teams off the field on third down on a consistent basis.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

It's pre-season and were not showing our hand. I have trust in our team come opening day!
Old 08-19-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5611

Quote:
There seems to be an inherent flaw in Dick L's defense
The flaw is that teams seem to be able to better read which one of our defenders is blitzing. This allows them to effectively pass protect leaving our secondary exposed because the quarterback has time to read the coverage and find the open man. Couple that with the fact that our rushers' ability to get around the linemen when blocked seem to be lacking.
GeneralRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I am watching the game on replay on NFL Network and from what I heard on the radio last night on WDVE out of Pittsburgh, we just could not get of the field on 3rd downs. And yes, a few years ago that absolutely killed our defense. They must fix this problem or it wont matter how good Big Ben and the offense does. And for our 1st string offense... well... they pretty much sucked!!!! Santonio Holmes is the only one that has impressed me the last couple of games. Our new rookie punter is Pro Bowl Bound in my opinion...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #8
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Since when has there ever been a perfect Steelers defense? I bet even the 70's teams got gouged on occasion. DL's Defense has flaws, then again, who doesn't? Sometimes Steeler fans give too much credit to the Steelers, especially when something is wrong with them or when they lose, the team on the other side has a gameplanning coaching staff and players too, you know. We're not going to dominate every game. It would be nice, but it won't happen. As long as we win, and find ways to win, I could care less what the stats are. Sometimes I get the feeling fans would rather lose pretty than win ugly.

Don't forget that this is still preseason. Usually Steelers' Game plans are vanilla at best. I have faith the D schemes will heat up once the season starts. There's two games left to sift out the problems.

*Remembers 2005 preseason when Ben stunk up the joint*
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Don't forget that this is still preseason. Usually Steelers' Game plans are vanilla at best. I have faith the D schemes will heat up once the season starts. There's two games left to sift out the problems.

*Remembers 2005 preseason when Ben stunk up the joint*
I understand its pre-season and all but i remember saying the same thing the last 2 pre-seasons and with the exception of the SB run things didnt change. Just hoping they change this year b/c if the offense passes more often as stated it is going to be more important than ever that the defense gets off the field early. Such an aggressive defense is bound to make players tired towards the end of games.
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Just hoping they change this year b/c if the offense passes more often as stated it is going to be more important than ever that the defense gets off the field early.
Well, so far that hasn't happened - they ran the ball 32 times last night as opposed to 25 passes. In the previous two games, the run-to-pass ratio was 65/55. They haven't exactly become the Eagles yet.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote