Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Practice Squad for 07 - 08

Since we have seen a couple of games now, I'm wondering how the practice squad (ps) might turn out? In the past, the Steelers have used the ps to store a few possible ps eligible back-ups at key positions, like fb and QB, as well as using it to develop young talent. This season there are a few of those players who have used up their ps eligibility making the roster decisions more difficult. BSP, J Khun and Walter Young have all spent time on the ps and I believe all have used up their eligibility.

So, any ideas yet?

Here are eligibility requirements from the CBA on the NFLPA site:

http://www.nflpa.org/CBA/CBA.aspx
[I]
PRACTICE SQUADS

PRACTICE SQUADS
On Sunday, September 2, 2007, the day after the final pre-season cutdowns, each club may establish a Practice Squad of no more than eight (8) players who are free agents and who do not have more than nine games on an Active list in a previous season. .................... In addition, a player under contract to a club as a Practice Squad player is completely free to sign a contract with any NFL club to play on their Active/Inactive list.

Further :

Section 4. Eligibility:
(a) The practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than two previous seasons on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). An otherwise eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment.

(b) A player shall be deemed to have served on a Practice Squad in a season if he has passed the club?s physical and been a member of the club?s Practice Squad for at least three regular season or postseason games during his first two Practice Squad seasons, and for at least one regular season or postseason game during his third Practice Squad season. (A bye week counts as a game provided that the player is not terminated until after the regular season or postseason weekend in question.)

/I]
Given all the above here is an early list:

Cameron Stephenson, - G
Scott Paxson DT - I believe he has one more season of ps eligibility
Ryan McBean DE - The Steelers need young blood on D'line, but Mc Bean is not ready.
Dallas Baker - Hasn't played well enough to make roster but worth keeping.
Cody Boyd TE - either Boyd and/or Dekker, surely.
Donovan Raiola C - yes I know he hasn't played but we signed him for a reason ..I assume.
Last two spots: two guys who the Steelers would love to keep even if they don't make the roster, Jason Capizzi and Gary Russell, but both would have trouble clearing waivers, imo. Also if the Steelers do not keep three qbs, I'd expect them to find a waiver wire qb for the ps.

Last edited by OneForTheToe; 09-02-2007 at 11:13 AM.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Practice Squad for 07 - 08

I hope we put a QB in there(Randall Bryant) so we only keep 2 in the roster
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I would love to see Russell on our final roster along with Davis as well. Barlow and maybe Verron Haynes will probably be gone or maybe Kuhn. I also think that DB Gay will make our team and if he doesnt... he will be picked up by someone I guarentee it, so I think he makes it and I think Ricardo Cokely or however you spell his name.. is a goner...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Ya can't have a guy with the nickname Touchdownmaker on the PS!!

Touchdownward will be out $5 if you're right!
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:10 PM   #5
dunkuntou
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 4780

Russell and Caprizi will both clear waivers. Dallas Baker probably would clear waivers but Ryan McBean will NOT clear waivers. Thats why he might end up on the teams simply because he wouldn't clear...

and its Bryan Randall...who is terrible
dunkuntou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:27 PM   #6
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

I'm not sure that Russell would clear, but maybe Capizi might after all. Once a player clears waivers and is placed on the ps, if another team picks him up they have to put him on the 53 man roster. So, if a team would pick up Capizi after he is on our ps, then they would have to open a roster spot for him. Naturally, it's hard to find spots for O'linemen who aren't ready to play (if that is indeed the case with Capizzi). I

As for Russell, I think a team like Denver (who just lost a rb) would jump at him in a minute. Truthfully, I wouldn't be that upset if someone took McBean. Maybe someday he will be something, but I haven't seen or heard anything at this point to convince me of the fact.

You are correct, Randall is terrible.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:56 AM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

There are a couple that i am worried about losing off the PS.

However, can we really afford to hold them?
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:36 AM   #8
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

I'll take another shot now at who we will try and sign.
1)Jason Cappizzi - OT, hopefuly he clears waivers.
2)Cameron Stephenson, - G
3)Scott Paxson DT
4)Ryan McBean DT-
5)Dallas Baker WR- practice squad maker.
6)Cody Boyd TE - need a TE on the ps if we are going to use three in the games, in case of injury.
7)DB off the waiver wire.
8)O'linen of waiver wire who could play center at some point might be a good pickup.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:20 AM   #9
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cheerful

What about Darnell Bing off of the waiver wire? I thought that kid was going to be good coming out of USC.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #10
FOOTEupyourarse
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 3310
Default practice squad

what do you guys think about giving LB BUSTER DAVIS a look? he is short but plays solid even though the cardinals drafted him.