Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-26-2007, 09:36 AM   #21
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Re: Pirates? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I would have taken a chance on LaPorta, a dead Babe Ruth or Weiters. I'm not sold on Moskos.
Don't get me wrong, I didn't like Moskos either. But what made me madder than the pick was the idiots in the Pittsburgh media jumping on the bandwagon of a guy they probably didn't even see play a game on TV during his whole career. I would have jumped at either of the high schoolers in a heartbeat had then been there. And I would have taken the gamble on LaPorta. But I wasn't calling the shots. Moskos will probably never see PNC Park, but that doesn't mean Weiters is going to be any great shakes either.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #22
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Moskos will probably never see PNC Park, but that doesn't mean Weiters is going to be any great shakes either.
No, it doesn't mean Weiters is going to be great, but I would have taken him and the "gamble" over Moskos and the "gamble", which has been my point and opinion all along. No pick in any draft is a for sure shot, but if I'm choosing and I'm the Pittsburgh Pirates, I take the better player available during this pathetic 15 year span in our storied history.

Also fwiw, from what I've read, seen and heard, it was not just the mean and brutal "Pittsburgh media" that felt it was a idiotic and stupid move to take Moskos over Weiters or to pass on Weiters in general.

You can also add Keith Law from ESPN to that list if you would like.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2007/index

That's just one example from a major media source. That's not counting the opinions from Pittsburgh fans in the Pittsburgh area who called in after the draft on local sports radio and tv programs who were also not very happy about picking up Moskos over Weiters and passing up on Weiters in general.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:59 AM   #23
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
No, it doesn't mean Weiters is going to be great, but I would have taken him and the "gamble" over Moskos and the "gamble", which has been my point and opinion all along. No pick in any draft is a for sure shot, but if I'm choosing and I'm the Pittsburgh Pirates, I take the better player available during this pathetic 15 year span in our storied history.

Also fwiw, from what I've read, seen and heard, it was not just the mean and brutal "Pittsburgh media" that felt it was a idiotic and stupid move to take Moskos over Weiters or to pass on Weiters in general.

You can also add Keith Law from ESPN to that list if you would like.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2007/index

That's just one example from a major media source. That's not counting the opinions from Pittsburgh fans in the Pittsburgh area who called in after the draft on local sports radio and tv programs who were also not very happy about picking up Moskos over Weiters and passing up on Weiters in general.
Porcello has the most upside of the whole first round and he didn't go until 27th.

Like I said, I didn't like the pick. But keep in mind that at least half those fans burning up the phone lines wouldn't have been able to tell the two guys apart if they were standing side by side. They just wanted something to bitch about because a Pittsburgher isn't happy unless they're bitching.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #24
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
They just wanted something to bitch about because a Pittsburgher isn't happy unless they're bitching.
lol, okay. So the Pittsburgh fans and the Pittsburgh media....gotcha.