Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-22-2007, 01:09 AM   #11
steelers forever 8
Water Boy

Member Number: 3323
Default Re: More passes seem to lead to more losses

After watching the o line and tight ends block so far this pre season. i have concerns about the new offense. sure we can pass, but running looks a lot harder with out a fullback.
steelers forever 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:57 AM   #12
Cherinko
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5744

We dont lose because we pass alot. We pass alot because we're losing. It's not as if we're any worse passing the ball than most other teams in the NFL, it's just that when we run the ball, it's a sign we're already winning and dont need to pass as much. And vice versa.
Cherinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:44 AM   #13
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I don't think that we are going to pass alot more it just to get 4 reciver sets to open holes for willie.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:58 AM   #14
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I definitely agree that we need to do something different to help out our running game, but to let Big Ben pass the ball 30 times a game is gonna be a mistake I believe anyway. I wouldnt mind seeing a 3 WR set more often to just keep the defense guessing ya know, but when you go to 4 WR's and passing 30 or more times with Ben there is no telling what is going to happen..
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:24 AM   #15
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
... a shift away from cowher, grimm, and wisenhunt suggested such a change...
Yep. This is a new era, new coach. New mentality! Those loses, the problem was (I think) coach Cowher only tried it, he wasn't really gonna apply it in as a whole plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
.. if all else fails, cowher will be available next season for the right price....
Yeah, I don't think he's coming back. And folks, we're "stuck" with The-Man-In-Black for like another 15 years.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:39 AM   #16
steelers4
Banned

Member Number: 6449

83-steelers-43 all of those stats are in the past now and they mean nothing. unless your looking at 2006 your looking at mainly a different team. passing does not equal losing it equals winning.

if they went the whole year without passing they would lose.
steelers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:39 AM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,240 Times in 3,248 Posts

Ed.B. of the P-G has his theme set up if this season craters - the Steelers abandoned the run.

In his online chat yesteday, to which I linked, Bouchette said cutting Kreider would send the wrong message about where the Steelers are heading this year.

Between that and the shots at the O-line shuffling that he stated yesterday, I get the vibe Bouchette does not think this offense currently is anywhere close to being ready to be a force during the regular season.

Howveer, with Parker as the RB the grind it out offense will not work; Willie P. can break way, but if it is 3rd and 2 there is no guarantee he will make the yardage. Add to that Davenport also not being a move the chains back and it is time to shake things up - it all depends on Ben getting time to make his reads and then stepping up his game and making them.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:01 AM   #18
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Why do people assume the Steelers will be pass-happy this year? In truth they're just going to be more balanced and hopefully less predictable.
You're a Steelers fan, and you need to ask that question? Our fan base is notorious for not liking change - if they had their way, Ben would throw 5 passes a game. And of course, they'd be the first ones bitching about why the offense sucks and can't score any points. You mention throwing the ball more, and everyone assumes we're going to turn into the early 80's Chargers or the Rams from 5 years ago. They all conveniently forget that when we made our SB run, what did we do? We passed the ball to get a lead, then pounded it out the rest of the way - just what Charlie Batch said in the article. When someone can tell me what's so scary about being less predictable and a dual-threat to run or pass on any down, I'll reconsider my opinion.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:34 AM   #19
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

I'll just be happy to see Heath Miller get more involved in the passing game. It's about time that we realize that we are wasting a tremendous offensive threat that we are treating like he is Mark Bruenner # 2.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:22 PM   #20
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Its a chicken and egg stat that isn't just particular to the Steelers - it pretty much applies to the NFL as a whole.

When you can't move the ball consistently (either on the ground or in the air) you tend to find yourself behind and probably behind big on a fairly regular basis.

When you are behind big or late in a game you have to pass, but passing (especially when teams know you are forced into it) becomes very dangerous, leads to turnovers and ultimately losses and a poor record.

It takes time to transition from a grinding running offense that passes sparingly into a balanced attack that can go aerial at will.

This transition could mean the possibility of another 6-10 year because the transition affects the whole team, right through to the defense who may have to play less aggressive due to more time spent on the field.

The franchise and fanbase have to be prepared for short term losses to get long term gain - of course the NFL isn't exactly blessed with patience but the Pittsburgh owenrship (if not its fans) seem to have that level of patience.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote