Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-26-2005, 01:41 PM   #1
Rush58
Starter

Member Number: 516
Default Offensive Concerns against a solid defense

I am not surprised by the poor pass protection after I had time to reflect back on the game. A lot of it has to do with the lack pass attempts. Our offensive line is so use to run blocking that their pass mechanics and line adjustments are off. We need to be more of a balance attack if we are ever going to be ?real? Super Bowl contender. Don?t dump the game on Ben when we haven?t been giving the guy consistent reps in the 1st two games. Just another way of Cowher to point the finger ?indirectly? when we lose a big game. And not the fact that Cowher was out coached again.

Another problem I see is the lack of a weapon or weapons in the receiving core. New England had a bunch of 3rd stringers in the secondary and all our receivers had problems of getting separation. No offense to Ward, but we need a true number 1 receiver. I doubt the Patriots truely gameplan to stop Ward. We need a weapon at wideout. Someone who is taller than 5?10. And why is Heath Miller not getting more time? We need as many weapons on the field as we can get.
Rush58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 02:13 PM   #2
Tim
Starter

Member Number: 661
Default Re: Offensive Concerns against a solid defense

I think what you saw as the game progressed was Ben's lack of confidence in the line, which caused him to start moving around more, which of course made things even harder for the line. There were plays where he was okay if he'd have stayed put and made a throw, but tried to run too early.

We have many weapons in the passing game, but hey, when they're covered, they're covered. The thing the Patriots have that so many teams do not, is very strong discipline. It's evident everywhere. They do not make things up, they don't wing it, they execute the plays, keep on their man, are not easily faked or looked off.

Our problem, IMO, is that we didn't open the game up enough when it was clear that the pats were selling out to stop the run. We tried no screen passes, no dump offs to the running back, few short slants or short over the middle passes to TEs.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
I.C. Lights
Starter

Member Number: 530

These were conditions which I thought would have been good for passing plays to TE. So, I'm still a little puzzled why we only saw Heath Miller once. He had a 12 or 13yd reception and was never seen again. I guess I don't mind too much though. He may be a secret weapon ready to fire at the right time (i.e. playoffs)!
I.C. Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:01 PM   #4
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

i think when duce and jerome are back it will open the passing game up more, steelers will go into their hard nose running game and the passing might open up some....i hope it does. and yes Miller needs to be used more. Using miller is going to upen up the deep pass as well as the run. A linebacker is going to have to watch miller instead of rushing ben or focusing on the run...
BIGBENFASTWILLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:16 PM   #5
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

i don't really see a problem with the passing, i see a problem with us not being balanced, cause ben has had three games in a row with 200+ passing yards he didn't get that last year it was always 100+ yard games and a few 200+ yard games, so he has improved in that area, he also has no ints so far. he just needs to be decisive with the ball he pump fakes to much and can't make up his mind on if he wants to throw or run and that messes him up a little.

after i had a chance to get over the fact that we lost i'm not to worried, we didn't play our game and the pats took advantage of it. i'm kinda glad that we lost now cause now we got two weeks to focus on what they need to fix, it also shows the players that they are beatable and they need to stay focused and not relax on downs (it seemed like the D did that a lot), and the players on the sideline didn't seem to upset that they lost. i guess they know that they didn't come in playing their greatest and still barely lost to a team that gave it their all. props to the pats for not just sitting back after all the injuries, y'all are a great team and i'd rather lose to y'all then a shit team like the ravens or browns.

i apologize to my fellow steeler fans for acting a fool and only blameing ARE yesterday, like blitz said we lost as a team.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:21 PM   #6
I.C. Lights
Starter

Member Number: 530

The losses get easier to take as you get older...You're right that in a way it's good that we have something to fight for now. Last year it was like, "Oh Patriots - yeah, whatever we can beat them..." This year there'll be a little more desire should be play them again. Our only loss was to the ratbirds last year, and we all know what happened the second time we played them.

My only fear is that if the play calling is not up to snuff, it may not matter how motivated our players are....
I.C. Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:27 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,089 Times in 2,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.C. Lights
These were conditions which I thought would have been good for passing plays to TE. So, I'm still a little puzzled why we only saw Heath Miller once. He had a 12 or 13yd reception and was never seen again. I guess I don't mind too much though. He may be a secret weapon ready to fire at the right time (i.e. playoffs)!
as soon as harrison went down i though we were gonna start attacking the middle of the field with miller. maybe thats why the pats put that linebacker in at safety (who i never heard of til yesterday) i also though the steelers would devise some impromptu blitzes to attack the rookie lineman who went in for light. he looked pretty confused his 1st series but the steelers admitted they did nothing different to attack him. i wonder why. last year when law went out they went after gay often with plexico.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:40 PM   #8
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
as soon as harrison went down i though we were gonna start attacking the middle of the field with miller. maybe thats why the pats put that linebacker in at safety (who i never heard of til yesterday) i also though the steelers would devise some impromptu blitzes to attack the rookie lineman who went in for light. he looked pretty confused his 1st series but the steelers admitted they did nothing different to attack him. i wonder why. last year when law went out they went after gay often with plexico.

I thought that as well..w/ their already weak secondary and then Rodney goes down, I really felt we were gonna start hitting everything and anything down field. Still puzzles me that we didnt. We did it alot in the first half, then the second half we got away from it some.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:47 PM   #9
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

the reason we probably went away from throwing long passes was cause the oline fell off and ben didn't have time to look down field
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:21 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,089 Times in 2,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
I think what you saw as the game progressed was Ben's lack of confidence in the line, which caused him to start moving around more, which of course made things even harder for the line. There were plays where he was okay if he'd have stayed put and made a throw, but tried to run too early.

We have many weapons in the passing game, but hey, when they're covered, they're covered. The thing the Patriots have that so many teams do not, is very strong discipline. It's evident everywhere. They do not make things up, they don't wing it, they execute the plays, keep on their man, are not easily faked or looked off.

Our problem, IMO, is that we didn't open the game up enough when it was clear that the pats were selling out to stop the run. We tried no screen passes, no dump offs to the running back, few short slants or short over the middle passes to TEs.
i dont think he lacks confidence in the line. he actually prefers to move around and throw on the run. they have actually designed more plays for him to throw while moving out of the pocket. but you are so correct on the steelers having weapons in the passing game, and the patriots' secondary discipline
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote