Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 08-23-2007, 07:55 PM   #21
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Re: Offense not as good as we think it is going to be?

Palmersteel I kind of agree with ya bud. Our offense hasnt looked good at all so far to me except for the very 1st play action play that Ben hit Cedric Wilson on. Wilson had 4 catches for 99 yards in that game and hasnt had a catch in 2 games now, whats up with that? Wilson had grumbled earlier that week about not getting his chance to catch passes and then they threw the ball his way and he made the best of it and now the last 2 games he hasnt had any chances...And what has happened to passing more to the TE's? They say they are gonna do it more this season but maybe the Head Coach dont think that they need to practice them during the preseason I guess..
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:39 PM   #22
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Where's tony at when you need him?

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:45 PM   #23
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I'm worried about our offense, for several reasons:
1 - The o-line has been suspect, last year they played a few games totally as one (like they did in the 2005 playoff race)
2 - Ben is back from a year that was his worst as a QB. I'm wondering if he still has lingering affects of that.
3 - After Hines and Santonio, who is our #3 guy?

But on a positive note, I'm thrilled with the competitiveness taht we have at RB!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:49 PM   #24
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastWillieParker39 View Post
Now I'll admit, when I first heard about this new offense I was excited. To me it sounded like we were going to have a more balanced attack where we were going to pass more. Also, more players like Ward and Holmes were going to get more opportunities to shine.

However, as I'm reading more articles and watching the preseason game I'm wondering if this offense is going to be as good as we think it's going to be. I mean the oline is still a big mystery, Ben while healthy won't be able to shine if the oline doesn't block for him, and Parker just got off of a injury. Add to the fact that I think Arians might be doing too much with the offense. I like that we are going to pass more but I'm still skeptical on whether or not I like Ben with that much control. I know Ben is a good QB, but with the 23 INT's last year, I'm wondering whether or not he can come back and play up to his level.

I don't know, to me it just seems like this offense could be a big let down and it could cost us big time (as in a playoff birth).

Thoughts?
Well, here's the thing. last time we had an offense this bad in the pre-season, we went on to win the Super Bowl. Right now this is the week I'm hoping they actually get clicking.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #25
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,055 Times in 3,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
Where's tony at when you need him?
lol.

the o-line is a major concern. last year simmons was bookended with hartings who valiantly tried to hold on a year too long (he was rumored to be done 3 years ago) and starks who was overweight and pretty much like one of those cement barricades that you simply drive around.
you can almost say there were many times where simmons was trying to block 3 defenders. mahan and colon will be an upgrade.

when playing a vanilla offense, teams arent gonna respect a running game with davenport in the backfield like they would with willie. even so, the steelers have had 7 pass plays of 25 yds+ and two short passes that went for 24 yds. we have shown we can get huge chunks of yardage passing the ball on the simplest of plays. our wr's are getting open w/o scheming to get em open and w/o a threat of a running game or utilizing our te's.

ben summed it up best in a recent interview when he said the steelers coulda put 35 points up on the redskins if they wouldve used some of the plays and schemes theyve been working on. both him and hines were chirping in arians ear suggesting plays. arians calmly told them to settle down and they were not gonna give any of their opponents hints of what to study before the season begins.

to this point our red zone offense has been simple. lets see if our 5 can block your 5 and our rb pound it in. lets see if our wr can create seperation on your defender and hold onto the ball.

im calling it right now- theres gonna be a point in the season inside the 20 where we line up for a fg on 4th and 1. with 3 te's to 1 side, our holder (sepulveda) is gonna roll out on a sneak and destroy a cb trying to tackle him. of course were not going to show something like this in pre season.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:11 AM   #26
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

I agree with the few that have said that the Steelers are running a vanilla offense during the pre-season. We haven't seen even 5% of the new offense. The Steelers aren't so STUPID as to run their new scheme while being filmed.

I am however concerned about the play of the offensive line. Vanilla offense or not, some of these guys just aren't blocking. I have no idea how this is going to pan out when the regular season starts. I'm certainly not going to assume that everything is going to be Hunky Dory. I'm just hoping for the best at this point.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:11 AM   #27
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit View Post
I agree with the few that have said that the Steelers are running a vanilla offense during the pre-season. We haven't seen even 5% of the new offense. The Steelers aren't so STUPID as to run their new scheme while being filmed.

I am however concerned about the play of the offensive line. Vanilla offense or not, some of these guys just aren't blocking. I have no idea how this is going to pan out when the regular season starts. I'm certainly not going to assume that everything is going to be Hunky Dory. I'm just hoping for the best at this point.
Truthfully,

I was too, until I realized that we have not yet started our actual starters together.

Thus, we really haven't seen what our real starters can do.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:06 AM   #28
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Truthfully,

I was too, until I realized that we have not yet started our actual starters together.

Thus, we really haven't seen what our real starters can do.

Well I can get on board with that because that's about the best that we can hope for at this point.
Now let's all bow our heads and pray for cohesion with the Steelers offensive line.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:13 AM   #29
SteelerTim
Water Boy

Member Number: 1727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit View Post

While we are running a vanilla offense we have to remember our opponents are running a vanilla defense. That is what worries me about our offensive line and why Ben and Hines thinking they could put up all those points on the deadskins doesn't carry much weight.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:39 AM   #30
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerTim View Post
While we are running a vanilla offense we have to remember our opponents are running a vanilla defense. That is what worries me about our offensive line and why Ben and Hines thinking they could put up all those points on the deadskins doesn't carry much weight.
Good point, SteelerTim. I firmly believe that if we had set units from day one of camp, all playing together, our OL and offense in general would be much better than it has been. Ben and Hines can talk all they want about the new wrinkles and opening things up, but they won't do jack if the guys up front aren't doing their jobs.