Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-23-2007, 11:03 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,416 Times in 3,547 Posts
Default Willie Prefers Running With a FB...

keeping 6 backs still isnt out of the question

http://postgazette.com/pg/07235/811494-66.stm

Quote:
"I prefer to have a fullback," said Parker, who was third in the American Football Conference last season with 1,494 rushing yards and 13 rushing touchdowns. "You always want a lead blocker and someone who takes it in there. And a fullback, they just go and take it in there and block somebody to clear a path. Dan Kreider is a good fullback."

Kreider and veteran Verron Haynes are battling for what is likely the fifth and final running back spot on the team, behind Parker, Najeh Davenport, Carey Davis and rookie Gary Russell. But Haynes, who played very well in last week's preseason victory against the Washington Redskins, also can play special teams.

Parker said he was unaware that Kreider's job status would even be questioned and hopes that the 255-pound fullback continues to line up with him in the backfield.

"He's like an extra lineman that can run and can move side to side," Parker said. "He's a great blocker and he takes pride in what he does.

"It would be kind of disappointing [if he were cut]. It would be surprising. Sometimes you want to stay away from a lot of that, if they cut him. I don't want to talk about my man like that. He takes pride in what he does and I love what he does."
Steelers rookie Russell makes run for the money

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_523541.html

Quote:
"He's running the ball really, really hard," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

The 5-11, 224-pounder has rushed for 121 yards in three games, and he has proven to be particularly adept at picking up yardage after contact because of his power and low center of gravity.

"He's a ballplayer, man," said Parker, who has mentored Russell just as Jerome Bettis helped him when he was a rookie.

Russell showed as much in two seasons at Minnesota.

He played as a true freshman even though the Golden Gophers had Marion Barber III, who scored 16 touchdowns for the Dallas Cowboys last season, and Maroney.

As a sophomore, Russell rushed for 1,130 yards and 18 touchdowns and was "equally as good" as Maroney, said Steelers tight end Matt Spaeth, a teammate of both backs in 2005.

"I loved having Gary in there, especially when we needed 3 yards," Spaeth said, "because if we needed 3, he was going to get 4."

What Russell didn't get at Minnesota were adequate grades.

He flunked out before last season and ran a slow 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine in February, forcing him to take the undrafted free agent route to the NFL.
every player interviewed says haynes must stay. he brings much more to the team than just what can be measured on the field. hope, jerome, porter, and el all had these same qualities that were able to band a team together and help the value of the whole be greater than the sum of their parts.

and then there is c. davis. he has proven himself as a valued special teamer, and an adequate back up to both najeh, and kreider.

with all things being said, kreider is gone after this season. possibly najeh too. davis and russell have the advantage of the pricetag they come with.

najeh isnt going anywhere as our #2 back this year. kreiders 10-15 plays a game may be the easiest to replace. with the steelers having the least ammount of cap space for emergency relief, i think kreider may be the 1 who is most worried.

Last edited by tony hipchest; 08-23-2007 at 11:48 PM.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:12 PM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Willie Prefers Running With a FB...

You know TH..

This is one of those cases where I am sad to say, you are probably right... and unfortunately, it isn't a matter of cap space, as much as it is a matter of roster space.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:16 PM   #3
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Damn, I hope the FO listens to Willie and let Dan stay. How probable is it that they'll pay attention to what he said?
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:45 PM   #4
tony hipchest

for what its worth, kreider was an unknown when we 1st signed him and nobody wanted him to replace the fb for jerome (who also happened to be jeromes best friend on the team).

kuhn, haynes, davis have shown they can possibly be replacements for kreiders roll. unfortunately for kreider, he makes the most money of them all, and doesnt protect ben on 3rd down or make special teams tackles. he isnt a threat out of the backfield and when he is in the game, he almost telegraphs our plays as the defenders follow his lead to the ball.

that worked with jerome. as good as willie is, he isnt going to punk urlacher or ray lewis 1 on 1. he knows this which is probably why he is lobbying for what has been a great steeler blocking back.

personally, if it means keeping 6 backs, i hope it is chidi who goes. how did we ever keep morey and chidi on the roster when everyone knew they didnt even have a chance of cracking a starting roster. its not like our ST was that great.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:54 PM   #5
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
personally, if it means keeping 6 backs, i hope it is chidi who goes. how did we ever keep morey and chidi on the roster when everyone knew they didnt even have a chance of cracking a starting roster. its not like our ST was that great.
I like the idea of 6 backs, as long as kreider and willie are in there. I guess there's also not much chance Dan would reconstruct his contract, many teams would be willing to pay him a good amount. Chidi can go, William Gay could replace him on ST and seems to be a better corner too.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:58 PM   #6
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

I can see what is going on here. The Steelers are setting Krieder up to fail so that they don't have to pay him big money. Ask yourself, have they hired a fullback coach?
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:18 AM   #7
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
I can see what is going on here. The Steelers are setting Krieder up to fail so that they don't have to pay him big money. Ask yourself, have they hired a fullback coach?
lol.

dont let jerome hear you say that. he may have to revise his book.

Quote:

I like the idea of 6 backs, as long as kreider and willie are in there. I guess there's also not much chance Dan would reconstruct his contract, many teams would be willing to pay him a good amount. Chidi can go, William Gay could replace him on ST and seems to be a better corner too.
dan doesnt make a huge ammount of money. (less than 1.8 mil but more than 1.3 i think, so i will quickly say 1.5). he could take the veteran league minimum with us, which would significantly save us atleast $700,000 and put us in good shape for an emergency.

if dan were cut, most teams wouldnt offer much more than the vet minimum (if they were that desperate, they would just claim john kuhn of the practice squad). personally, i dont think the rooneys operate this way and they would feel better giving him a legitimate shot at free agency next year if they feel he can trully help the team this season. but then again, this is a business and we do have a new "chief" at the helm.

as insignificant as a 6th back can be, this is definitely be much more interesting in how it plays out as opposed to essex potentially being cut and cappizi being held as a reserve on the practice squad (which is another way we can keep 6 backs).
Old 08-24-2007, 12:33 AM   #8
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

Quote:
i agree with you that krieder should stay but why chidi. What is the point of having 6 running back on the roster. That would just be stupid the most we should have is 4. You and I know it would not be smart to carry 6 running backs. Chidi is the man he was awsome one punt coverage with Morey gone Chidi is going to step into are main specail teamer. Chidi flew down the field and was great at stopping the punt from going in the endzone.

come on chidi is the man

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk

Last edited by verks36; 08-24-2007 at 01:02 AM.
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:43 AM   #9
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by verks36 View Post
That would just be stupid the most we should have is 4. You and I know it would not be smart to carry 6 running backs. .

come on chidi is the man
2 years ago, that type of thinking wouldve left us with jerome, duce, kreider, and haynes, and no 5th sb trophy. chidi was already cut last year and only brought back after 2 other teams cut him. all that, for a rather sucky special teams.

next
Old 08-24-2007, 12:50 AM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
l

as insignificant as a 6th back can b
e, this is definitely be much more interesting in how it plays out as opposed to essex potentially being cut and cappizi being held as a reserve on the practice squad (which is another way we can keep 6 backs).

Not this year, not with these guys.

Think about it. We ACTUALLY have 1 speed back, two backs to pound, and two backs to play FB. That leaves us one back to play third downs if we are using a pounding back.

IT may not be insignificant at all. Especially because those FB will be running the ball a lot more, add to that a two tight end set...

Hey... I wonder....

New Thread Alert........
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote