Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-04-2005, 03:35 PM   #11
thumb 2 come
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 584
Default Re: Food for thought....

Great post Suit.
thumb 2 come is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:48 PM   #12
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Like I said - the article is there to provide food for thought.

Any of you guys got the cojones to defend your team by writing into the CHFF - with your reasons as to why this article was written on a false premise?

If you can back up what you say with facts and figures, rathers than feelings and emotions I can pretty much guarantee you will be given a fair shot by the boys - and will more than likely have your letter printed.

Cheers

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:58 PM   #13
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

An exercise in futility, I'm sure...

By the by, what isn't factual about stating that O'Donnell, Stewart and co. aren't top quality QB's?
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:09 PM   #14
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Hey Suit,

You misunderstood the point of my post. Im saying you have some valid points there - maybe you would care to debate them with the CHFF team - they themselves admit they can get stuff wrong.

They dont mind being shown the error of their ways as long as it is done with tangible facts and figures and can rebuff the stuff they posted.

Personally I would love to see a knowledgeable Steeler fan back his team with an intelligent argument - these guys are Pats fans - which they admit openly but they dont come across as openly biased.

Cheers

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #15
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

i feel that regardless of coach, once your in the big game its the players that have to come through play a good game mentally and physically. I will admit that the steelers have not done that in the past, however i do not believe the fault falls on cowher.
If you want to put the blame on the coaches, why not praise them for having such great coaching abilities to put playoff teams together, year after year. I dont hear as much criticzm about andy reid as i do cowher???????
Cowher is a consistent coach, and arguably one of the best coaches in the league
BIGBENFASTWILLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:45 PM   #16
slashsteel

Member Number:

Willie yes it is the players that have to come through. But a coach's job is to put those players in a position to win. Has Cowher done this? Somewhat but at times you do have give a big WTF?

Like starting a one dimentional RB in the pats championship matchup, I would have preferred Staley. Or hell even Willie for that matter.

And why did we go for a field goal down by 14? Bonehead call no matter how you spin it.

Ben was hitting the rookie wall somewhat in the jet game, why not shorten his passes, instead of zipping the ball down field. Just maybe we wouldn't have had those INT"s. As he didn't have any in this last game.

Killer instinct, not turtling it would help too. Too often with a lead we play not to lose, instead going full throttle. ( See Chargers for proof) And like this last game where was the screens with the pats blitzing ? ? didn't roll out as much as I would have liked, although I know some of it was the pats clogging the outside to force Ben to stay in the pocket. Too one dimentional. We have a first round TE, a pass catcher that has shown flashes, use him underneath.

Don't stick with one basic formula. Run pass pass or run run pass. Seems to me that the game plan was vanilla-sh. Started out mixing it up ok, but in the second half when the pats adjusted, bill decided to do absolutely nothing. Or at least it appeared that way. So a solid team might get you to the big dance, but there is no beating a coach that knows how to scheme properly. That is one thing nobody can take away from the pats, and if we want to be the next contender, we better be a little more diversified. As we def have the personel, no escuses come playoffs..........
Old 10-04-2005, 06:22 PM   #17
SteelProven
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 394

How many Pro-Bowl, All-Pro MVP won Superbowls, if I had to take a guess I'd say 90%. Every Superbowl team had a franchise QB, except the Ravens. But there defense at the time was arguably the best of all-time. But hey look what cowher has inherited, thanks to the Chargers and Giants.
SteelProven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:32 PM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,080 Times in 4,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Like I said - the article is there to provide food for thought.

Any of you guys got the cojones to defend your team by writing into the CHFF - with your reasons as to why this article was written on a false premise?

If you can back up what you say with facts and figures, rathers than feelings and emotions I can pretty much guarantee you will be given a fair shot by the boys - and will more than likely have your letter printed.

Cheers

NM
once again...the article was patsfans OPINIONs why cowher cant or will never win the big game[FACT]. yet us steelerfans must supply all the facts and figures. funny thing about statistics is that they can pretty much support any opinion out there[FACT]. the major flaw i saw in the article was that it made it seem like cowher choses to not have a top notch qb on his team as if he feels he dont need one. if it were that easy to go out there and get them every team would have one[FACT] . the 95 statistic interrested me most[FACT]. steelers had one of their lowest rushing seasons yet one of their best passing. contrary to what the article would suggest this was due to personnel rather than coaching[FACT].

rushers: eric pegram (who?) from atl. and rookie bam morris[FACT]
wr's: ernie mills, yancy thigpen, charles johnson, andre hastings (who all were either a #1 or #2 wr either with the steelers or another team)[FACT] plus one phenominal rookie kordell stewart who many believe could have been a pro bowl wr if that were the career path he wouldve chosen. definitely 1-5 the best wr corp the steelers have ever had let alone most other teams.

cowher tried to get odonnel to stay along with all those wr's[FACT]. cowher didnt prevent chan gailey, d. lebeau, m. lewis, dom capers from leaving[FACT]. he couldnt.

k. green (#1 sack leader amongst lb's in the league)[FACT] and c. brown one of the hottest and youngest prospects at the position left. cowher did not give greg lloyd (the most fierce lb in the game at the time) staph infection in his ankle which cut short his career[FACT].

cowher didnt plant pot in bam morris' trunk[FACT]. what cowher did do was fire moris and make one of the steelers best trades ever in acquiring jerome bettis[OPINIONATED FACT].

the article also makes good use of the 70's dolphins and their power running game, lack of passing, etc. and how that was outdated. who was the coach? don shula[FACT]. what did he do with the most prolific passer of all time? NOTHING. how come he is never called a choker with dan marino at the helm? take a look at how far shula got in the playoffs with marino vs. how far cowher has gotten in his 13 years. and cowher is the choker? why couldnt the great jimmy johnson get marino a ring if it all boils down to the coaches? and again...how many playoff games have seifert, holmgren, johnson, shannahan, belichick, parcells won without their hof qb's? (assuming t. brady makes the hof of course) as a patfan you know better than anyone they would be mediocre at best, w/o brady. is parcells a choker because he couldnt win it all with a #1 qb pick in the draft and the #4 rusher of all time? whether cowher will ever be able to win a superbowl is very subjective and a matter of interpretation of the facts. fact is anything can happen. pats, bucs, ravens, and rams winning the superbowl prove that.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:53 PM   #19
Black-n-Gold
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 602

The fact that Cowher can turn just about anyone into a probowl LB is enough. As long as this man stays here our defense will be strong. I agree that we wouldn't have gotten nearly as far as we have in the past with out him. I'll always support him, he's one of the best coaches in my opinion..
Old 10-04-2005, 08:21 PM   #20
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I'm not going to go to a Pats based website and shower them with facts and figures supporting why Kordell Stewart and Bubby Brister weren't top notch NFL QB's...It's pretty obvious. They'll just try to paint me as a Cowher apologist regardless...

I will go one step further, though, as to WHY we were fielding superior teams with a weak link at the QB spot. It was money, pure and simple. The Rooney's run a football team as their business. They don't have other holdings like dot com or shaving cream companies, they just have a football team. When they got their new stadium, they opened up revenue streams that allowed them to finally start playing "Capology" as well as restructuring deals, etc, etc...Now they can afford to draft a QB in the 1st round. With the exception of Jerome Bettis, we were running a lot of skill positions with later round drafts, and drafting "Cheap" in the 1st round with lineman and the like. Now they have a little more free hand to spend, and they are spending wisely.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote