Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Steelers Experience

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-28-2007, 12:11 PM   #1
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Meeting Joe Greene

In 1996, I had just watched my fiance walk on her plane at the Dallas / Fort Worth Airport and was turning around to leave. As I was walking I saw someone walking towards me that looked pretty familiar, but I couldn't place the name. Well...a few seconds later I realized who I was looking at might be Joe Greene. At the time, he was coaching for the Cardinals in Arizona and it was about the time for training camp to begin, so I turned around and followed to see where he was traveling to. Well...he was going to Phoenix. So, I figured it was him.

This was my one and only chance to meet him, but I wasn't sure what to do. So, I just walked up to him and said "excuse me". He didn't even look up at me and said "I don't have time". His sons, atleast that who I thought they were, were just staring at me with a look of "you better leave". I wasn't going to bother him, so I just turned around...and then Joe said "What do you want"? I just said..."I've been a Steelers fan since 1976 and I loved watching you play. I just want to shake your hand". He smiled and said "I have time for that" and he stuck out his hand and we shook hands. His hands seemed as big as a baseball mit.

I must have had a complete look of awe on my face because his sons just started laughing. It was kind of embarrassing, but I didn't care. I didn't bother him any more after that. I just said thanks, it's a pleasure meeting you and just walked away.

He is probably approached a lot by people and I would have completely understood if he just blew me off, but he didn't. It was a meeting I will never forget.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Meeting Joe Greene

Wow. Just....wow. He is my all-time favorite player, personally. You were probably more composed than I would've been - I probably would have just stood there dumbstruck not being able to talk at all. Very cool story!
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Thank for sharing the story BF. I met him a few times over the years. At TC and at a Steeler banquet when I was younger. Was always a nice guy. Very personable.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
steagles
Water Boy

Member Number: 524

That's a great story and thanks for sharing!
"Mean" Joe Greene,what memories that brings back,along with the whole Steel Curtain mystique,those were very special times indeed.I'd heard that the "Mean" nickname applied to only on the field of play and so your story just cements that belief in my mind.
Too bad Joe didn't have a Steelers jersey to hand you,like in that famous commercial years back.hehehe.
When I hear Joe Greene it reminds me of the time when Lynn Swann had just taken a big hit and was lying on the field of play so Joe Greene comes over and picks up ynn andtakes him over to the sidelines.Most everybody thought that Joe just thought that much of Lynn,but Lynn said he did that because he didn't want the team to lose a time-out.hehehe.