Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-28-2007, 11:22 PM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Reid may be blowing it

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_524623.html

Steelers' Reid still bobbling opportunity
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 29, 2007

He recently talked about all that his prized first-round pick can do on a football field. But Steelers coach Mike Tomlin offered this caveat regarding Lawrence Timmons: what the former Florida State star did at "Tallahassee" doesn't mean much anymore.

He might have delivered a similar message to wide receiver/kick returner Willie Reid on Tuesday morning.

"I challenged him in front of his peers," Tomlin said.

Reid couldn't get on the field last year because of a numbers crunch and an injury, and he won't stay on it this season if he doesn't start showing the stuff that made him one of the most dazzling return men in Florida State history.

Tomlin said Reid will be back returning punts Thursday when the Steelers visit the Carolina Panthers for their final preseason game.

That Tomlin publicly talked about calling out Reid, however, shows that he may be losing patience with the second-year pro.

Reid, the only Florida State player aside from Deion Sanders to gain 1,000 career yards in punt returns, is averaging just 4.9 yards on eight punt returns during the preseason. In Sunday's 27-13 win over the Eagles he fumbled a punt deep in Steelers territory, though he did recover it.

"I think I'm just too anxious to go out and make big plays," said Reid, a third-round pick of the Steelers in 2006. "Coaches have mentioned to me that I'm trying to hit the home run all the time instead of getting what I'm supposed to get and that will be it."

It's understandable if Reid is a little overanxious.

He didn't dress in the Steelers' first three games as a rookie last season since he was the odd man out at wide receiver. Against the San Diego Chargers, he left the game early after spraining his left foot while returning a kickoff.

The injury, which was actually a mid-foot sprain, sidelined him for the rest of the season and even caused Reid to miss some of the Steelers' offseason practices.

Reid emerged as one of the early stars of training camp, showing his toughness as a wide receiver and a burst that could be attributed to his foot being healed.

So where, Steelers fans are asking, is the player who burned Penn State for 180 yards and a touchdown on punt returns in the 2006 Orange Bowl?

"You never know when that play is going to come, and it usually comes when you least expect it, so I just think it's a matter of time," wide receiver Cedrick Wilson said. "You've got to be patient."

Wilson replaced Reid as a punt returner after the latter fumbled against the Eagles early in the second quarter. Yet both Reid and Wilson said it had been determined before the game that Reid would give way to Wilson after fielding two punts.

"My confidence is still high," Reid said. "I just had a couple of mistakes, and that's the whole story."

The story could change if Reid struggles on returns Thursday.

"We'll see what he brings," Tomlin said of the game against the Panthers, "but I expect him to bring it, because he's a competitor."
Old 08-28-2007, 11:41 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,159 Times in 2,652 Posts
Default Re: Reid may be blowing it

Quote:
"I think I'm just too anxious to go out and make big plays," said Reid, a third-round pick of the Steelers in 2006. "Coaches have mentioned to me that I'm trying to hit the home run all the time instead of getting what I'm supposed to get and that will be it."
and therein lies the easilly correctable problem. those who are just "anxious" about being fundamentally sound and making the team are those that will allow the big plays to just come to them.

im not gonna give up on reid yet, although i expected for him to make the transition away from randle el seamless (minus the qb'ing skills)
Old 08-28-2007, 11:42 PM   #3
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

I'll be happy if he just doesn't fumble it, I trust our offense will score points
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:43 AM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I agree....

JUST CATCH THE BALL.

That is all we ask
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:11 AM   #5
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

i hope he makes the team.. he seemed like a nice and quiet guy from watching him at training camp the past 2 years. i thought he had the tools to make a good speedster slot receiver. i hope he can get his act together.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:51 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I think he will be alright lets see what he can do against the panthers.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:30 AM   #7
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

reid is kkalso a reciever
Old 08-29-2007, 06:34 AM   #8
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
i hope he makes the team.. he seemed like a nice and quiet guy from watching him at training camp the past 2 years. i thought he had the tools to make a good speedster slot receiver. i hope he can get his act together.
I agree, and I liked the comparison they made of him with Ward saying how Reid was a tough guy
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:37 AM   #9
delhess
Starter

Member Number: 5509

we can't afford to turn over the ball. if he does this in a real game, i have no more patience. bad special teams can undermine a lot of good play, please, lets not let that happen again.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:09 AM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,797 Times in 2,680 Posts

I guess it comes down to keeping a DB who fumbles punts and is at the bottom of the depth chart for DBs (Coclough) or a WR who fumbles punts and is at the bottom of the depth chart for WRs (Reid).

Since I gave up on Coclough after last year's Cincy game and have not yet given up on Reid I guess I would keep Reid.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote