Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,444 Times in 3,321 Posts
Default SI NFL Predictions - Saints Win It All

Attacahed is the link to Sports Illustrated's NFL preview issue (how newspapers and magazines have a buisness plan that makes any $$ by giving away what they used to sell escapes me, but bless 'em all)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...outing.report/

Steelers are predicted to go 8-8, but Peter King throws this bone:

Even after Pittsburgh's first coaching change in almost a generation, some things never change. Like the Steelers contending for the playoffs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo.../steelers.html

SI predicts Saints over Chargers in SB XLII - glad to see someone jump off the Pats bandwagon
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486
Default Re: SI NFL Predictions - Saints Win It All

Bengals win the AFC North at 10-6 and beat the Ravens in the wildcard round.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
Bengals win the AFC North at 10-6 and beat the Ravens in the wildcard round.
Please bear in mind this is the same publication that predicted the Dolphins to represent the AFC in SB XLI and predicted a 7-9 finish for the Chargers last year.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #4
CantStop85
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Please bear in mind this is the same publication that predicted the Dolphins to represent the AFC in SB XLI and predicted a 7-9 finish for the Chargers last year.
All predictions are crapshoots...I think, for the most part, the AFC North predictions looked pretty good. I think there will be two teams hovering around the 10-6 mark and another team around 8-8. However, it could go anyway as far as which team is in which spot.

The team-by-team previews are not bad either.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
All predictions are crapshoots...I think, for the most part, the AFC North predictions looked pretty good. I think there will be two teams hovering around the 10-6 mark and another team around 8-8. However, it could go anyway as far as which team is in which spot.

Yeah, I realize the prognostication game is a crapshoot, but considering that SI is so far off the mark year in and year out, I no longer take it seriously. The only useful purpose SI serves is as bird cage liner, IMHO.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
Virginia Steeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5793

the Saints are this year's "sexy" pick.....

every year since 2001 I have predicted Steelers vs. Eagles in the Super Bowl, as a joke but sort of serious....kind of like when Chris Berman used to always pick 49ers/Bills.
Virginia Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I also picked the Saints to win this year's big game in a thread a few months back and though I heave at the thought of agreeing with SI, I'm standing by that prediction.

I don't see the Bungles at 10-6. The Rats - probably, the Steelers - maybe, but not the Bungles. Their D is one of the worst I've seen thus far in preseason and with Mastah Thug gone for 8 weeks, opposing secondaries are going to be all over Beavis and Butthead like white on rice.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:

The Bengals are most likely going to hang around that 8-8. The Steelers are going to be in that 10 win class.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,444 Times in 3,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
The Bengals are most likely going to hang around that 8-8. The Steelers are going to be in that 10 win class.
IMO Ravens, Bengals, and Steelers come up with 28 wins between them, with 2 of the teams at 10-6 and 1 at 8-8.

Ravens seem to be the most popular candidate of the 3 to get 10 wins, but I have seen predictions with both the Steelers and Bengals at 10-6.

Of those three teams, the one that could crater below 8-8 is the Bengals. Marvin is feeling heat that Tomlin and Billick will not be drawing and with that defense Carson, Ocho Cinco & friends will constantly be pressured to put up 24-30+ points a game to win.

I am optimistic about this season but Ben, the OL, and CBs make me nervous.

I agree the Saints are the trendy pick in the NFC; at this point I do not know what it would take to cheer New Orleans up (given the dysfunctional federal, state and local govts that have screwed that city) but if the Steelers cannot do it I will be rooting for the Saints fans to get some good news in their lives.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:38 PM   #10
CantStop85
Living Legend

The Ravens have to be the favorite at this point, with no real glaring holes on their team, except maybe a lack of real explosiveness on offense (which McGahee could possibly solve).

The Bengals and Steelers are both teams that have potential to go on runs and win the division as well as make runs in the playoffs. However, both have big question marks that could derail their seasons.

The Bengals have a questionable defense, especially in the secondary...if they can't do a better job containing offenses or at least forcing a lot of turnovers like in 2005, there will be a lot of pressure on the offense to win games.

The Steelers have a lot of questions on offense...was Roethlisberger's season in 2006 a fluke? Can he revert to somewhere near where he was in 05? Will there be any continuity on the offensive line? Will someone on the O-line not named Faneca step up and prove themselves worthy of being a starter?