Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-29-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,486 Times in 3,731 Posts
Default ESPN Predictions

ESPN has its "expert picks" up

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/previe...ory?id=2984130

Merrill Hoge picks the Steelers to win the division and a few others give the Black & Gold a wildcard, but not a lot of love otherwise

Of the 16 "experts" nobody picks Indy to win the AFC, let alone repeat. Most pick the Pats.

Theismann (he got canned - why is he still even on the ESPN site?) picks the Ravens to win it all.

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 08-29-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: ESPN Predictions

Wow, Pasquarelli thinks is possible for Woodley to be DROY, we are on the map people, the media hasn't forgotten us . That said, if Woodley was a starter and continued to play like he has all summer then I could see him being crowned DROY. He's definitely making some eyes open outside steeler nation, I think even Madden mentioned something about him in the eagles game, although it was maybe a remark about how he's wearing Joey's old number
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Stillers33
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6205

Nice atleast they say we're making the playoffs

All thanks go to my dad for turnig me on to football!
Fan since 2001!
Stillers33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:48 PM   #4
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers33 View Post
Nice atleast they say we're making the playoffs
Nah. You have it all wrong, my friend. Its when they say we WON'T make the playoffs that we blow up.

Ya. Surprised to see the love from Len, but he's a moron, so I don't know what to think. My head is spinning.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:28 PM   #5
delhess
Starter

Member Number: 5509

it's preseason guys, this is like trying to predict the stock market or the weather. it's a calculated guess. (except new england, that's a lock)
Old 08-29-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,379 Times in 499 Posts

ESPN slobbing the Pats' collective knob? What else is new?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:53 AM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I have no idea where all this ridiculous media enthusiasm for the Patriots has come from!

Just because they have been the most consistent postseason performers in recent history, have had an exceptional (on paper thus far) offseason in terms of adding talent, have managed to keep their coaching team intact for the first time in what seems like years.....just because of all these crazy, subjective things.....its absolutely no reason to make them the clear favorite to win it all.

I think there needs to be some type of investigation into this baseless homerism.

Heads must roll.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:53 AM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I have no idea where all this ridiculous media enthusiasm for the Patriots has come from!

Just because they have been the most consistent postseason performers in recent history, have had an exceptional (on paper thus far) offseason in terms of adding talent, have managed to keep their coaching team intact for the first time in what seems like years.....just because of all these crazy, subjective things.....its absolutely no reason to make them the clear favorite to win it all.

I think there needs to be some type of investigation into this baseless homerism.

Heads must roll.
LITP - Nothing lasts forever
Old 08-30-2007, 04:04 AM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
LITP - Nothing lasts forever
Well, that sounds kinda deep.

Not sure if it is though.

Let me think on it.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:13 AM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Well, that sounds kinda deep.

Not sure if it is though.

Let me think on it.
I will elaborate with a reference to another veteran NFL team that was a media darling in an earlier era.

Coming off 4 SB wins in 6 years in 1980 the Steelers were regarded as being as talented as ever going into the 1980 season. Of course, that team went 8-8 that year and started to break up shortly thereafter. During that season, I specifically recall a Monday night loss to the Raiders (who won the SB that season) in which the Steelers coughed up an early lead as Plunkett torched the secondary. At some point in the second half of that game I recall Cosell intoning that nothing lasts forever.

With regard to the Pats, the offense has upgraded but the loss last January to the Colts was not due to an inability to score, it was due to the collapse of an aging defense. Thomas has been added at LB but players such as Vrabel and Bruschci are well into their twilight years.

My point is that past performance is no guarantee of future results and the knee jerk SB pick of a Patriots team that has some definite age by so many pundits seems to ignore the problems on D that IMO have not been fixed. The Pats are good but I do not see them as so much better than the rest of the league that they are such an overwhelming favorite to win among the ESPN "experts." The 60s Packers, 70s Steelers, 80s 49ers, and 90s Cowboys all fell off - Belichick is a great coach but he cannot stop the ineveitable cycle of decline.