Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-30-2007, 09:58 AM   #11
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: ESPN Predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I will elaborate with a reference to another veteran NFL team that was a media darling in an earlier era.

Coming off 4 SB wins in 6 years in 1980 the Steelers were regarded as being as talented as ever going into the 1980 season. Of course, that team went 8-8 that year and started to break up shortly thereafter. During that season, I specifically recall a Monday night loss to the Raiders (who won the SB that season) in which the Steelers coughed up an early lead as Plunkett torched the secondary. At some point in the second half of that game I recall Cosell intoning that nothing lasts forever.

With regard to the Pats, the offense has upgraded but the loss last January to the Colts was not due to an inability to score, it was due to the collapse of an aging defense. Thomas has been added at LB but players such as Vrabel and Bruschci are well into their twilight years.

My point is that past performance is no guarantee of future results and the knee jerk SB pick of a Patriots team that has some definite age by so many pundits seems to ignore the problems on D that IMO have not been fixed. The Pats are good but I do not see them as so much better than the rest of the league that they are such an overwhelming favorite to win among the ESPN "experts." The 60s Packers, 70s Steelers, 80s 49ers, and 90s Cowboys all fell off - Belichick is a great coach but he cannot stop the ineveitable cycle of decline.
My main point of contention is that the Patriots are not a team version of Michael Vick or the Cincy Bengals - the plaudits and praise they receive are based upon real achievement and not media hype.

I think alot of people, if they were able to put they homeristic tendencies on hold, would pick the Patriots as 'most likely' winners of this years SB - but thats a long way from making then 'dead certs' or anything else that has people making facetious comments such as ' we might aswell just give them the trophy now...'

The fact that 8 out of 12 (or whatever it was) of the ESPN pundits picked them as 'most likely to win' doesn't mean that ESPN as a whole thinks we have a 60/70% chance of winning.

The Patriots have long been anything but 'media darlings' - the media was quite happy to embrace the 'plucky underdog' image of the Patriots in 2001 but wasn't comfortable with actually giving them any genuine credibility as the 'best team playing the game'.

Thats why we (football fans of all teams) have had to suffer from all this nonsense about how the Patriots win because 'they don't have any stars' and other such crap.

The media are just as keen as always to see a team brought to its knees - it just seems a natural part of the beast - the Patriots are no different.

I could almost guarantee that should the Patriots start poorly then al we will see is headlines about Randy Moss 'team cancer', Brady losing his focus on football, and a team who got away from its policy of not having any stars.

Whether you put any credence into the story that a flu bug had decimated the Patriots lockerroom against the Colts, is up to the individual, but for sure that wasn't the same LBers and safeties corps in the second half that the Patriots would like to play.

The Safeties were 3rd stringers and the LBers not much better - I doubt the Steelers would be so competitive if you pulled James Farrior, Troy Polamalu, Brett Keisel, Anthony Smith, Ryan Clark from the starting line up half way through a game against the Colts in a dome.

Vrabel and Bruschi and rest of the starting LBers remain excellent starters, though I agree the depth is suspect.

The D-line and DB corps remains young and strong however - no team is flawless - the D is certainly not ageing as a whole.

So sure, nothing last forvever, but it seems a pretty weak illogical reason to suppose the Patriots shouldn't be favorites heading into the new season.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #12
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,123 Times in 441 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

man i hate the patriots!!!!
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:06 PM   #13
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I have no idea where all this ridiculous media enthusiasm for the Patriots has come from!

Just because they have been the most consistent postseason performers in recent history, have had an exceptional (on paper thus far) offseason in terms of adding talent, have managed to keep their coaching team intact for the first time in what seems like years.....just because of all these crazy, subjective things.....its absolutely no reason to make them the clear favorite to win it all.

I think there needs to be some type of investigation into this baseless homerism.

Heads must roll.
You might want to double check the MOST recent history lol.

I've lauched my own investigation on the ESPN conspiracy theory, I'll let you know the results asap.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #14
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Cool Re: ESPN Predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I have no idea where all this ridiculous media enthusiasm for the Patriots has come from!

Just because they have been the most consistent postseason performers in recent history, have had an exceptional (on paper thus far) offseason in terms of adding talent, have managed to keep their coaching team intact for the first time in what seems like years.....just because of all these crazy, subjective things.....its absolutely no reason to make them the clear favorite to win it all.

I think there needs to be some type of investigation into this baseless homerism.

Heads must roll.
Dont get too excited...Keep in mind that this is the same media outlet that keeps describing last year #8 ranked Bengals offense as "high octane"...and the #7 ranked Steelers as "struggling"
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:48 AM   #15
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VASTEELER View Post
man i hate the patriots!!!!
You need to post your thoughts more often - you are truly robbing the internet community of some stunning insights.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:50 AM   #16
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
You might want to double check the MOST recent history lol.

I've lauched my own investigation on the ESPN conspiracy theory, I'll let you know the results asap.
Last I checked the Patriots got beat in the AFCCG - seeing as thats one step short of the actual SB I'd say that maintains a good level of consistency.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:51 AM   #17
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Dont get too excited...Keep in mind that this is the same media outlet that keeps describing last year #8 ranked Bengals offense as "high octane"...and the #7 ranked Steelers as "struggling"
Who's getting excited?

Not me.

And certainly not by power rankings and predictions.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:37 AM   #18
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

The Patriots are gonna bomb...
Old 08-31-2007, 10:44 AM   #19
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhess View Post
it's preseason guys, this is like trying to predict the stock market or the weather. it's a calculated guess. (except new england, that's a lock)
Thank you. Whatever happened to just watching the games and the season play out? Does everything need a power ranking or to be "predicted". Alot of the time the experts are wrong anyway.
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:49 AM   #20
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

No disrespect to the Patriot fan here on the board, but there is a bunch of "hoopla" going on about a team that racked up a bunch of great players. That's pretty much the basis of it. Will they win 10 games? I think so, and probably more, but I don't see them going to SB.

ESPN...those letters make me laugh.